Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
Wrong Jack Point--Should I Be Worried?

Just got new tires at Discount and insisted they use floor jacks with pucks instead of the usual hydraulic lift, which has two long supports that actually touch the plastic rockers and flex them until they come in contact with the pinch welds. That kinda freaks me out, even though I know people do it.

They complied with my wishes, but I noticed that instead of using the front pinch welds where the gaps in the plastic rocker expose them, they located the pucks kind of smack in the middle of the aluminum structure shown here (photo borrowed from another Camaro6 post). Unlike this pic, the pucks on my car were right in the middle, not on the edge. What's done is done, I guess. I can't see any obvious buckling. I compared this same structure left to right, and both sides look and feel the same. I did feel a LITTLE depression outboard of the outer circle cutout, but since it was the same on both sides, I'm hoping the car came that way.

Have any of you successfully lifted your car--or had your car lifted--in this same spot with no negative outcome?
Attached Images

GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
That's why I installed lift pads in the correct position so they will use the proper lifting points.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
That's why I installed lift pads in the correct position so they will use the proper lifting points.
Yes, I'm aware of those. Since they were using floor jacks, I just assumed they'd use the pinch welds. They said there wasn't enough room between the pinch weld and the rocker to fit the puck.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
My dealer has used this point many times with no problems. They even used the aluminum bar one time with no problems.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Magnum922

Hear a couple pics of lift times. The one was after they lifted it. Just had some marks from the rubber puck.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
Magnum922

Mine was them using a 2 post lift.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
My dealer has used this point many times with no problems. They even used the aluminum bar one time with no problems.
Phew! Good to know.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
the spot they used is for a lift that hits all four spots at the same time, it is used on the assembly line. not meant for jacking up single corners, they cant handle that weight but when all four corners are targeted at the same time it is the correct way.

ive done it many many times, as long as you clear the side skirts and dont bind on a body panel.

i would avoid the aluminum bare cross member though.

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
This is the LGR factory lift point that the chassis is carried on during assembly. It's worn during assembly because the conveyor carries the chassis after it's painted.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem2104 View Post
the spot they used is for a lift that hits all four spots at the same time, it is used on the assembly line. not meant for jacking up single corners, they cant handle that weight but when all four corners are targeted at the same time it is the correct way.

ive done it many many times, as long as you clear the side skirts and dont bind on a body panel.

i would avoid the aluminum bare cross member though.
That's a little scary for me, as the guys at Discount used four FLOOR jacks, not a four-point lift. I wasn't there when they actually lifted the car, but two guys were working on it and I at least hope they lifted both sides of the front simultaneously. It's even possible they got two more guys and lifted all four corners at once.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
GM Lifer

UPDATE: Just called my guy at Discount and he said the two techs lifted both sides of the front end at once, so I hope that distributed the weight enough. I realize this seems silly, as this whole area faces the ground, but you know how we car guys are. I do feel like my fingers sense a slight depression or concavity just outboard of that outer circle (the clean one, not the scuffed one), as circled in this photo. It almost looks like I see the same thing here. Just a small concern born of OCD.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #12
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
This has always baffled me. Why in the world do they not put clear and dedicated jack points on these cars? Do they think people will NEVER use a jack on these cars? Seems like a simple thing to make sure all cars have dedicated and easy to locate jack points.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #13
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Yeah, you can actually see the depression dent in the pics. It might look weird, but if it really bothers you, you can always ask a paintless dent repair place to fix it for you. Money is money, right?
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #14
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
They have to lift the front of the car (both sides at once) from this point on Hunter alignment racks since the arms won't reach out to the pinch welds (I asked). I stood right there multiple different times and didn't hear any noises or see any bending and they were able to align the car fine each time. I didn't feel any steering/driving issues after either.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote