Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
1LE Spoiler Question

Does anyone know for certain if the rear view mirror camera is in the spoiler or the shark fin on the 2021 models? I have a ZL1 coming in 2-3 days and I'd like to swap the spoiler for a 1LE spoiler from Anderson Composites but it specifically says on their website, no provision for rear camera.

Thanks!
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:08 AM   #2
IntimidatorZ

Drives: 14 Silvy 1500 Z71; 20 Camaro ZLE M6
Unless changed for MY2021 the ZL1 1LE did NOT get the camera for the rear view mirror like the ZL1 did. I would be curious to hear if your ZL1 (rear view mirror camera mounted in the shark fin on roof in previous model years) would be able to see above the ZL1 1LE wing replica from AC but I'm thinking probably not. The question then becomes how much to you want the 1LE wing at the sacrifice of the rear view mirror camera. The wing looks awesome and if you're only going for looks then no worries, I would personally get the wing at that sacrifice! Something else to think about too... if performance is important to you as well, I do wonder to what effect applying the wing on your ZL1 without the cannards on the front would hinder the overall balance of the car from an aerodynamic standpoint?
IntimidatorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:50 AM   #3
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntimidatorZ View Post
Unless changed for MY2021 the ZL1 1LE did NOT get the camera for the rear view mirror like the ZL1 did. I would be curious to hear if your ZL1 (rear view mirror camera mounted in the shark fin on roof in previous model years) would be able to see above the ZL1 1LE wing replica from AC but I'm thinking probably not. The question then becomes how much to you want the 1LE wing at the sacrifice of the rear view mirror camera. The wing looks awesome and if you're only going for looks then no worries, I would personally get the wing at that sacrifice! Something else to think about too... if performance is important to you as well, I do wonder to what effect applying the wing on your ZL1 without the cannards on the front would hinder the overall balance of the car from an aerodynamic standpoint?
I'll know Monday or Tuesday when I receive the car if the camera is mounted in the shark fin and I'll mock up something off the stock spoiler to mimic the 1LE spoiler height and see if it blocks the view. That being said, I could live with some blockage for the appearance.

As for the performance, I plan to use the front lower grill and splitter from the 1LE, I have them coming this upcoming week, I just won't be using the canards. I don't think it would affect daily driving at all and for the occasional high speed sprint in Mexico, I can't see it having much effect either. Its probably more noticeable on a road course where you would need to have balance for turning.

I'm still on the fence about the high wing, my wife hates it but I think it looks good from all angles except directly behind the car. The other part is that I don't like trying to be a poser. I like the look of the 1LE but I didn't buy a 1LE not because I couldn't afford it but because my ride comfort is VERY important to me and I just don't think I could live with the 1LE for daily driving.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
CasualGuy

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE | ‘19 MX-5 Miata 30AE
You can see exactly how this will look in this video:

https://youtu.be/vy3PSJaUW5s
CasualGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #5
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Wait, what?

I noticed this camera in the spoiler yesterday for the first time, thought it was something for the rear collision system.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualGuy View Post

So, are you confirming that the 2021 models have the rearview camera in the sharkfin? If so, that video gives me a good idea of what to expect, you will likely be able to see the 1LE spoiler but it shouldn't block too much view.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
IntimidatorZ

Z oh 6- Yeah my bad! After replying I did see on your other posts that you were planning to add the splitter from the 1LE! Agreed re: comments about the aero balance for what you'll be using it for. As far as "being a poser" idk man... Not that my opinion is worth much and perhaps other ZL1 1LE owners feel differently but I don't view you as a poser at all. I see it as you want the mag ride with a bit of the flash and functionality of the 1LE aero pieces so do your thing! End of the day it's your car, your the one going to be driving it, parking it at your residence, so do what's gonna make you most happy!

Gtfoxy- Oh really? So your 2019 has the camera for the rear view mirror mounted in the spoiler? Dang, it was my understanding those were mounted in the shark fin on the standard ZL1 and I remember being bummed when the playbook for MY2020 came out and it originally stated that the 2020 ZL1 1LE would come with the rear view mirror camera (presumablyin the shark fin as well), but for whatever reason, it did not make it to production and I can confirm, my ZLE doesn't have the rear view mirror camera.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
IntimidatorZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualGuy View Post

Damn, this is cool! Nice aftermarket option... makes me wonder why this couldn't make it to production on all MY ZL1 1LEs?
Old 09-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Z oh 6- Yeah my bad! After replying I did see on your other posts that you were planning to add the splitter from the 1LE! Agreed re: comments about the aero balance for what you'll be using it for. As far as "being a poser" idk man... Not that my opinion is worth much and perhaps other ZL1 1LE owners feel differently but I don't view you as a poser at all. I see it as you want the mag ride with a bit of the flash and functionality of the 1LE aero pieces so do your thing! End of the day it's your car, your the one going to be driving it, parking it at your residence, so do what's gonna make you most happy!

Gtfoxy- Oh really? So your 2019 has the camera for the rear view mirror mounted in the spoiler? Dang, it was my understanding those were mounted in the shark fin on the standard ZL1 and I remember being bummed when the playbook for MY2020 came out and it originally stated that the 2020 ZL1 1LE would come with the rear view mirror camera (presumablyin the shark fin as well), but for whatever reason, it did not make it to production and I can confirm, my ZLE doesn't have the rear view mirror camera.
Yes sir.

Also has the low mount back up camera above the plate.

Now I just have to get educated on how to make it work, at least I don’t think it’s doing anything ATM, as I see my back seats & rear window. Not sure what it’s supposed to look like.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #10
Z OH 6

Quote:

Thanks I'm coming from a 1000hp Hellcat so subtle hasn't been my thing and I like the 1LE's aggressive looks. Our C8 Corvette Z51 has the high wing and the camera is mounted right behind the shark fin above the rear glass, you can see the high wing with the rearview camera but it doesn't block anything so I think it should be about the same with the ZL1.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Yes sir.

Also has the low mount back up camera above the plate.

Now I just have to get educated on how to make it work, at least I don’t think it’s doing anything ATM, as I see my back seats & rear window. Not sure what it’s supposed to look like.

Under the rear view mirror, there is a toggle switch that will turn on the camera mode vs regular mirror mode.
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #12
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFDUB View Post
Under the rear view mirror, there is a toggle switch that will turn on the camera mode vs regular mirror mode.
The one to the left? If so I played with it today & no change.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #13
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
It looks like an old school day/night plastic switch on the rearview mirror
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #14
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
It looks like an old school day/night plastic switch on the rearview mirror
Mine has a little light sensor looking thing on the right with a button to the left of that & 2 with + &- to the right.

Didn’t notice an old school lever.