Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #1
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Stock break pads are done > upgrade or stick with OEM ?

After 67,000 km / 41,000 miles my stock breaks are finally done.

Day to day I find the OEM brake combo more than sufficient, but I do track the car whenever I get a chance and I am not entirely happy with the performance; it is fine for 10 minutes then I begin to notice brake fade and my lap times go down. The fade seems to get worse as the pads wear down which is something to be expected.

So the big question is: should I just get OEM pads or maybe upgrade the breaks a bit with better pads / rotors?

Things to consider in the decision process:

1. The break dust is annoying, but I am don't want to give up break performance just so I have less break dust. I can live with the dust if I can get more bite from the breaks and less heat fade on the track. From what I've read any break pads with less dust also come with a performance penalty and I am not ok with that.

2. Are there any better performance aftermarket break pads that are bolt on to the existing rotors? The key is more performance on the track but still usable on the street in all types of weather (including -30 degrees).

3. Becasue of where I live, I do mount winter tires and rims and those are 18". Is there a better performance rotor (slotted, drilled) that can improve the break performance but still able to fit under an 18" rim (stock summer wheels are 20") ? If it hadn't been for the winter tire situation I would have gone for the ZL1 / SS LE breaks and call it a day, but I am not sure if it will fit. Does anyone have any feedback regarding upgraded breaks and 18" winter rims/tires ?

4. After my last track day with the braks pads nearing the end of life, I have also noticed vibration in the steering wheel under hard breaking. Worn pads and less heat dissipation plays a bit factor, but did I happen to also warp the rotors? Will changing just the pads "restore" the breaks to normal? The vibration didn't happen until the last track session and I am starting to get a bit concerned, I don't want any bad suprises next time on the track.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
The problem with only upgrading pads/rotors is that the calipers will likely struggle to handle the heat, especially with tracking (even with the track deflectors installed). If you do upgrade pads, I'd at a minimum suggest getting Ti shims (or even Ti vented pistons if you can find them) and something on the higher end of the spectrum for brake fluid boiling points like Brembo HTC 64T. The better option is going with the SS 1LE brakes (note below on 18" wheel fitment)

That being said, there's plenty of pads out there that are a little more robust than OE for track use. Carbotech, G-Loc, Raybestos, and maybe even Hawk or Powerstop are a few brands that immediately come to mind. Also, keep in mind that with those more aggressive pads you'll want a second set of pads for street use since those typically don't like the lower temps of street driving.

I wouldn't swap away from OE rotors, though. Cross-drilled will probably crack way earlier than a solid rotor would fail and slotted will likely reduce mass (therefore reducing thermal capacity and resistance to warping) and won't give any meaningful performance benefit unless you've got serious race pads and very high rotor temps.

As for 18s, I believe there's a thread or two floating around with SS 1LE stuff fitting in certain 18" wheels, but someone else or the search function would likely be better at guiding you to those. Not sure if ZL1 brakes will fit any 18" wheels, though.

For brake pulsing/vibration, it's either deposits on the rotor or they're warped (more than likely warped). Swapping pads won't fix it. Best bet is to swap rotors if you're that high mileage with track use.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
I would love to hear someone's experience with powerstop rotors/pads
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #4
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I have decided to stay with stock OEM parts for now, but the next time I will most likely upgrade SS LE breaks if I can fit them under an 18" rim.

Just to be on the safe side, does anyone know the part no for the 4 piston 2SS front pads and rotors?
Old 09-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
I would love to hear someone's experience with powerstop rotors/pads
Not on the Camaro, but I've used powerstop Z26 pads on another car of mine. They work fine on the street for normal driving, but are awful at handling any significant heat and will most likely be noisy/squeal once they cool back down. I'd at least switch back to OE for any planned hard driving.

Would also avoid the rotors for the same reason as my post above. They'll warp/crack sooner than OE and won't give any meaningful performance benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbu View Post
I have decided to stay with stock OEM parts for now, but the next time I will most likely upgrade SS LE breaks if I can fit them under an 18" rim.

Just to be on the safe side, does anyone know the part no for the 4 piston 2SS front pads and rotors?
PNs for the SS should be:

Front Pads: 23441307
Front Rotors: 13528522
Rear Pads: 22847818
Rear Rotors: 84097593
Old 09-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #6
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Not on the Camaro, but I've used powerstop Z26 pads on another car of mine. They work fine on the street for normal driving, but are awful at handling any significant heat and will most likely be noisy/squeal once they cool back down. I'd at least switch back to OE for any planned hard driving.
Thanks for response
My pads are still good but wanted to upgrade front pads and rotors this year
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles