Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Who has experienced an oil pump failure?
2016 or earlier 20 13.79%
2017 53 36.55%
2018 67 46.21%
2019 2 1.38%
2020 2 1.38%
2021 1 0.69%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2020, 01:50 PM   #505
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Basically the same times for the SS 1LE and the new vette, but those guys are far from professionals and that track is kind of a joke
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #506
Aceinthesky2002

Drives: C5
So I was bored and did a quick search on auto trader for 2018 zl1’s, 88 results came back and I found that 2 of the vehicles had FAILING OIL PUMPS. From all that I have read right before catastrophe the oil pressure gets in the 20’s. Fell sorry for who ever buys them.
Attached Images

Aceinthesky2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #507
Northtrack

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Just heard back from the dealership, and they have confirmed that it is an oil pump failure, but no evidence of any collateral damage with the motor.

The conversation was a little disconcerting because the service guy started by saying that track use and modifications to the car typically void the warranty and that my car was "highly" modified.

I told him my car is bone stock other than a bolt in half cage. He said it has a modified suspension and sticky tires. He said the car has a "blue suspension" and GM does not have blue suspensions. WTF???? I had to explain to him that GM warrants the ZLE for track use, and that the ZLE comes with a different suspension - blue Multimatic spool valve shocks - than any other 1LE comes. Furthermore, the tires are actually G3's, not the stickier G3R's that come with the car. He said he'd look into it, but left me pissed........

He did though call back in about an hour and said that I was right and the car is stock. That's when he admitted their dealership has never seen, sold or serviced a ZLE. Initial frustrations aside, the repair will be covered under warranty but I'm told that it will be 2 - 3 weeks before the parts are available. Apparently this is the first in Canada so that's not helpful under the circumstances.

I'll definitely be looking into an extended warranty, even if I have to pay for it.

BTW, build date was July 26/17.

Frustrating...........
Northtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #508
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northtrack View Post
Just heard back from the dealership, and they have confirmed that it is an oil pump failure, but no evidence of any collateral damage with the motor.

The conversation was a little disconcerting because the service guy started by saying that track use and modifications to the car typically void the warranty and that my car was "highly" modified.

I told him my car is bone stock other than a bolt in half cage. He said it has a modified suspension and sticky tires. He said the car has a "blue suspension" and GM does not have blue suspensions. WTF???? I had to explain to him that GM warrants the ZLE for track use, and that the ZLEn comes with a different suspension - blue Multimatic spool valve shocks - than any other 1LE comes. Furthermore, the tires are actually G3's, not the stickier G3R's that come with the car. He said he'd look into it, but left me pissed........

He did though call back in about an hour and said that I was right and the car is stock. That's when he admitted their dealership has never seen, sold or serviced a ZLE. Initial frustrations aside, the repair will be covered under warranty but I'm told that it will be 2 - 3 weeks before the parts are available. Apparently this is the first in Canada so that's not helpful under the circumstances.

I'll definitely be looking into an extended warranty, even if I have to pay for it.

Frustrating...........
Mind if I ask what track and the dealer it is at?
I would think the track isn’t a big deal but maybe if you would rather keep the dealer private just PM me
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #509
JasonSB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Like suspension or tires are going to cause an oil pump failure. Screw GM and their shitty pumps.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #510
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Don't blame GM for that one it's just a retarded dealer
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #511
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:

I told him my car is bone stock other than a bolt in half cage. He said it has a modified suspension and sticky tires. He said the car has a "blue suspension" and GM does not have blue suspensions. WTF???? I had to explain to him that GM warrants the ZLE for track use, and that the ZLE comes with a different suspension - blue Multimatic spool valve shocks - than any other 1LE comes. Furthermore, the tires are actually G3's, not the stickier G3R's that come with the car. He said he'd look into it, but left me pissed........

Frustrating...........
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #512
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Our dealers don’t know about these cars because not many of the ZLEs make their way into Canada. When I went to order mine they didn’t know what it was. They told me I was trying to buy a unicorn.
You would think dealers would get product information sessions every year or maybe twice a year. But I guess they don’t.
When I ordered mine I got an email from GM regarding ordering a second 1LE from the same dealer. It stated in the email that less than 75 were coming into Canada.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #513
Northtrack

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
FWIW, my regular dealership is very familiar with my car and services 2 or 3 ZLE's and I have no complaints with them. Because the oil pump failure happened on a road trip, I had to get it towed to another dealership in another city who unfortunately had no knowledge of, or experience with the ZLE. I think it really comes down to the specific dealership that you have to deal with. Not that I needed proof, but there's pretty broad spectrum of service knowledge and experience out there.....
Northtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #514
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Quote:
FWIW, my regular dealership is very familiar with my car and services 2 or 3 ZLE's and I have no complaints with them. Because the oil pump failure happened on a road trip, I had to get it towed to another dealership in another city who unfortunately had no knowledge of, or experience with the ZLE. I think it really comes down to the specific dealership that you have to deal with. Not that I needed proof, but there's pretty broad spectrum of service knowledge and experience out there.....
Yes. The other dealer closest to myself knew what a ZLE was. Only certain dealers can sell them. The 3 closest to myself I guess get alternated between who can sell one that year.
That’s what I understood from the district sales manager of those dealerships. I’m sure there is more to it.
I’m glad your pump is being taken care of Northtrack. It’s the way it should be.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #515
Usmcdevildog

Drives: Camaro ZL1 automatic
I have a 2018 zl1 with 18,000 and the oil pump went out on mine, dealership just put another in it, started it and it was bad too what gives��*♂️��*♂️!
Gonna try to post a couple pics of the first one.

MY BUILD DATE WAS 8/22/2017 ��
Attached Images

Last edited by Usmcdevildog; 07-31-2020 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Adding build date
Usmcdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #516
Usmcdevildog

Drives: Camaro ZL1 automatic
Is there anyone that can offer any insight into my issue, is there a better aftermarket pump I can buy??
Usmcdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:46 AM   #517
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcdevildog View Post
Is there anyone that can offer any insight into my issue, is there a better aftermarket pump I can buy??
I don't think there are any alternatives to getting the most updated stock oil pump. Sorry they could not fix your car the first time. But if the pump broke immediately, that tells of potentially poor installation technique.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:11 PM   #518
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Thats terrible. Should not be happening.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote