Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 07-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #15
MarkSS1958

Drives: "19" 2SS 4xBlack "16" Ram 4x4
Under the dash just to the right of the steering column I velcroed an opener so it's out of sight
Old 07-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #16
danbrew

Drives: 18 2SS A8
I have an 18 convertible, not a 19+, and took a pair of vice grips to the clamp on the opener - fits like a champ.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #17
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The put the camera-fed rearview mirror in there instead and moved the OnStar buttons off of the mirror to the overhead console. It's a space thing... As in, there isn't enough of it.

Personally, I hate that camera-fed view and will never use it. But, that's largely because I have a convertible. For those with a coupe, I could see where it could be useful.
It's a cost thing, not a space thing. Homelink transmitters buttons are routinely fit in sun visors (Corvette & other makes/models). They could have done the same with the Camaro but went the cheap/lazy route and just deleted it.

For those of us who need reading glasses to resolve anything inside of 24" the camera-mirror is useless.

Glad I have a '17

Old 07-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #18
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
It's a cost thing, not a space thing. Homelink transmitters buttons are routinely fit in sun visors (Corvette & other makes/models). They could have done the same with the Camaro but went the cheap/lazy route and just deleted it.

For those of us who need reading glasses to resolve anything inside of 24" the camera-mirror is useless.

Glad I have a '17

I don't doubt that cost factors in, but space does as well and would seem to be the bigger factor.

With the OnStar buttons moved from the mirror to the overhead console starting in 2019, where would the HomeLink buttons be located? Especially on the convertible...
Old 07-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #19
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I have homelink but I use the app on my phone to open my garage door.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:54 AM   #20
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
... where would the HomeLink buttons be located? Especially on the convertible...
Driver's sun visor. Corvettes do this, as do other cars like my wife's Solara convertible.

C7 visor:
https://www.gmpartsclub.com/oem-part...RoCnIgQAvD_BwE

Ample alternate examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=driv...visor+homelink

Space has nothing to do with it. Chevy just didn't want to spend the $ to re-do the wiring harness... which they had to re-do anyway for the mirror, so the true added cost to swap to a parts-bin corvette homelink transmitter was truly miniscule.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #21
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Driver's sun visor. Corvettes do this, as do other cars like my wife's Solara convertible.

C7 visor:
https://www.gmpartsclub.com/oem-part...RoCnIgQAvD_BwE

Ample alternate examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=driv...visor+homelink

Space has nothing to do with it. Chevy just didn't want to spend the $ to re-do the wiring harness... which they had to re-do anyway for the mirror, so the true added cost to swap to a parts-bin corvette homelink transmitter was truly miniscule.

The visors in this car are roughly equivalent to envelopes in size, durability, and thickness.

Homelink buttons on visors has been "the norm" for years in various cars with some then deciding to move the buttons the overhead console. Now that they have moved in that direction, they won't go back because it adds back a lot of cost to have the wiring run to the visor...

I still say that it was a combination of space and cost, with "adding space" driving up cost even further.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:02 PM   #22
mooton

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Found one of the smallest openers on Amazon - super easy to program too.

With a bit of double-sided tape on the back, it fits perfectly in this location on top of the rubber mat. No movement whatsoever and very easy to access.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2022, 09:10 PM   #23
Nate76

Drives: 2022 2SS Convertible
I bought a Meross Bluetooth garage door opener from Amazon. Attached it to my existing opener and now open my garage right from apple car play in my consol. The garage function pops up on the screen automatically when ever my car in in the vicinity of my home. I love it. $40 I’ve spent well spent!
Old 04-28-2022, 08:11 AM   #24
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
I pinched the metal clip on the opener to tightly squeeze the sun visor. Down side is that it is visible from outside and is easily stolen if i park the car with the top down.

Luckily for me, crime rates are not as high as some US cities....yet.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:00 AM   #25
xqwisit23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate76 View Post
I bought a Meross Bluetooth garage door opener from Amazon. Attached it to my existing opener and now open my garage right from apple car play in my consol. The garage function pops up on the screen automatically when ever my car in in the vicinity of my home. I love it. $40 I’ve spent well spent!
When you say "pops up on your screen" are you referring to your phone or the vehicles infotainment screen?
Old 04-29-2022, 04:17 PM   #26
Nate76

Drives: 2022 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqwisit23 View Post
When you say "pops up on your screen" are you referring to your phone or the vehicles infotainment screen?
It comes up right on infotainment screen. Bottom right of the Apple CarPlay screen.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:24 AM   #27
xplct

Drives: 2022 camaro 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Going to look into this
Old 05-07-2022, 05:06 AM   #28
xplct

Drives: 2022 camaro 2ss 1LE
Quote:
It comes up right on infotainment screen. Bottom right of the Apple CarPlay screen.
Bought the meross, but needed the accessory for my door. Contacted them and they sent one overnight to me. It works like you said but says unavailable when in the car or away from home for some reason. I'm sure I need to do something else like hook it up to my alexa or something. It pretty cool how it pops up on the screen when near the house!

Closed Thread