Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
rc330

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Question about AAC ABL LED Kit

Hi,

I am looking for an LED conversion kit for the dome, trunk, and footwells. I had some blue LEDs on my Eclipse that looked really cool but because of how dark the blue is, it wasn't very practical. On my Camaro, I want something that looks cool but also HAS TO BE practical.

Therefore, I've been looking into the aqua blue LEDs since they are a lighter color they're still blue, which is my preference. So I was looking into the ABL LED Conversion Kit that AAC has.

From all the pictures I have seen on here, I have no doubt that the footwell lights are bright enough. My concern is with the dome light. Based off of the pictures AAC has posted on different threads here, it seems to be very bright. But looking at pictures of people who have installed them, the dome light doesn't look very bright. It doesn't seem to illuminate much of the interior. It seems to serve more as an accent light than an actual dome reading light.

So my question is, how bright is the dome light? Again, I want it to look cool but it also needs to be very practical. I need to be able to turn on the light in complete darkness and be bright enough to be able to read something with ease. I even considered just getting the kit but replacing the dome bulb with one of AAC's super bright T10 board LEDs, but they don't come in aqua blue

If the AAC dome light is not bright enough for my needs, are there any other brands you could recommend that would still be aqua blue but bright enough to meet my needs?

Thanks!
rc330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
rc330

I would also consider blue LEDs as long as they are extremely bright. For this, I might consider AAC's super bright T10 LED board as an option. Anyone have any pictures of experience with these super bright LEDs in blue?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
rc330

Bump
Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
Question about AAC ABL LED Kit

My recommendation after trying blue leds in the dome light and footwells is to go for blue footwells and use a white dome light. The blue looks great and having a white dome light actually makes it useful. My buddy has the aqua blue aac dome light and its much better than the regular blue but still having the white light makes it much easier to see when you need it. It really doesn't take away from the blue footwells either.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
rc330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrusco103 View Post
My recommendation after trying blue leds in the dome light and footwells is to go for blue footwells and use a white dome light. The blue looks great and having a white dome light actually makes it useful. My buddy has the aqua blue aac dome light and its much better than the regular blue but still having the white light makes it much easier to see when you need it. It really doesn't take away from the blue footwells either.
I would've liked to use a white LED for the dome but my girlfriend is really sensitive to white light and can give her headaches.

Now, the blue that you have on the dome, is that the standard 5 LED T10 one that comes in the kit or is it the 36 LED Super-Board? And based off of what you've seen from your friend's ABL, do you think it'll be better to use the 5 LED ABL or the 36 LED blue? Because it would obviously be a lot stronger, but it's still a darker color.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc330 View Post
I would've liked to use a white LED for the dome but my girlfriend is really sensitive to white light and can give her headaches.

Now, the blue that you have on the dome, is that the standard 5 LED T10 one that comes in the kit or is it the 36 LED Super-Board? And based off of what you've seen from your friend's ABL, do you think it'll be better to use the 5 LED ABL or the 36 LED blue? Because it would obviously be a lot stronger, but it's still a darker color.

I had a regular 5 led t10. I think regardless of how bright of an led you use the dark blue is just too dark to be useful for seeing anything. I would say go with the 5 led abl for sure if i had to choose between those two. Good luck!

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
rc330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrusco103 View Post
I had a regular 5 led t10. I think regardless of how bright of an led you use the dark blue is just too dark to be useful for seeing anything. I would say go with the 5 led abl for sure if i had to choose between those two. Good luck!

True. Makes sense. Thanks for your input!

Tags
aac, aqua blue, conversion, led