Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #57
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Or is it just the cooling plates aren't installed on the one picture we have of the LT1 Camaro engine? Need more pictures of the SS for sure.
It's already in the current picture of the Camaro LT1, it's very clearly there.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #58
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
It's already in the current picture of the Camaro LT1, it's very clearly there.
I don't see fins like the other engine pics shared. Maybe they are there and just can't make it out on my phone. The orientation is definitely not the same either. So are you thinking the ports lead to separate aux cooler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #59
whiteboyblues2001

That's what Ian wondering? Does the oil go out the ports to a cooler, or does coolant come in to cool the plates? I'm not sure. When I get home later, I will try to edit the photo and put an arrow or a circle around what I am talking about.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #60
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
That's what Ian wondering? Does the oil go out the ports to a cooler, or does coolant come in to cool the plates? I'm not sure. When I get home later, I will try to edit the photo and put an arrow or a circle around what I am talking about.
Based on the picture in post 37, coolant would go in and out of the ports shown on the oil cooler.
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #61
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Based on the picture in post 37, coolant would go in and out of the ports shown on the oil cooler.
Thank you for confirming this. This explains everything.

1. The three radiators are all for engine coolant.
2. There is an additional heat exchanger mounted horizontally in the bottom of the "box" formed by the three engine coolant radiators for transmission cooling.
3. Oil is cooled by sending engine coolant through the oil cooler mounted on the side of the oil pan. See the diagram below:
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #62
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I didn't notice those ports on the Camaro's LT1 and I've never see a wet sump cooler with ports like that. I'm no expert but I'm wondering if that is a provision for a dry sump 1LE or Z(whatever). Photo shows a dry sump system
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #63
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Engine coolant used to cool engine oil? Seems odd given most manufacturers use simple air cooling for everyday sports cars but would explain the use of the 3 radiator design. Hey maybe they route engine coolant through the auto trans cooler too to make up for horizontal orientation. To me it would make more sense the in/out ports are used to route oil to an auxiliary cooler.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #64
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
I didn't notice those ports on the Camaro's LT1 and I've never see a wet sump cooler with ports like that. I'm no expert but I'm wondering if that is a provision for a dry sump 1LE or Z(whatever). Photo shows a dry sump system
The Camaro LT1 oil pan is way too big for dry sump. Look at your picture and you can see the pan size used in dry sump. Then look at the pan on the bottom the LT1. Huge depth in comparison to hold the oil, hence wet sump. Dry sump, the oil is stored in the can, not the pan. Just to be clear, I am talking about the image of the LT1 engine from the Camaro, not the image of the LT1 from the Corvette.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #65
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Engine coolant used to cool engine oil? Seems odd given most manufacturers use simple air cooling for everyday sports cars but would explain the use of the 3 radiator design. Hey maybe they route engine coolant through the auto trans cooler too to make up for horizontal orientation. To me it would make more sense the in/out ports are used to route oil to an auxiliary cooler.
The trans cooler is definitely transmission fluid running through an external heat exchanger.

I just looked up some info on the oil cooler in the current Camaro's LS3. Here is link where they show how to replace the factory setup with one that uses an air exchanger rather than the stock engine coolant one:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381050
Old 07-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #66
whiteboyblues2001

By the way, the oil cooler on the new Camaro looks twice as big as the others shown in this thread, and it's right up against the side of the oil pan. Looks like further evidence of Chevy making this car track capable. Let's hope it works as intended. Time will tell.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #67
whiteboyblues2001

So, according to the online ordering guide, there is a rear differential cooler standard on the 1SS and 2SS. So that means there are:

1. Three radiators for engine coolant with added capacity.
2. A separate radiator for transmission cooling.
3. An oil cooler attached to the side of the oil pan that uses engine coolant on the secondary side.
4. A rear differential cooler (no details on how that is achieved).
5. Brake cooling ducts from the front lower grille.

Looks like Chevy is making a serious effort to meet their claim of the SS being track ready.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #68
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
So, according to the online ordering guide, there is a rear differential cooler standard on the 1SS and 2SS. So that means there are:

3. An oil cooler attached to the side of the oil pan that uses engine coolant on the secondary side.

Looks like Chevy is making a serious effort to meet their claim of the SS being track ready.
While losing at least 200lbs compared to the previous gen.
That's impressive.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #69
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
That's impressive.
... and more HP, and even more Tq, and Magnetic Ride Control, and Dual Mode Exhaust, AND a bunch of that weight loss is in unsprung/rotating weight. Chevy is really twisting my arm to buy this car!!
Old 07-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #70
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
That's impressive.
Let's see...the engine, trans and differential all have their own cooling system. And yet the car is at least 200 lbs lighter than the previous generation which only has 1 main radiator for cooling. I don't know but without anything other than instinct I'm thinking those 3 coolers in front are (main) engine; and the two side/auxiliary are trans and diff coolers if the trans is a manual. If it has an automatic trans, the 4th cooler is required. The auto trans must generate more heat than the manual trans.

If they're all for the engine, the ONLY reason to break up the main radiator into 3 smaller ones would be to allow for a lower front profile of the car, but you add parts and assembly labor just for that. Which the new car doesn't appear to have a radically lower front profile so that can't be the reason. Has GM stated clearly that those 3 radiators are all for engine cooling? If I were the designer, the 2 smaller auxiliary coolers would be for engine oil and trans fluid. But since apparently the diff also has a cooler, would they run the lines all the way from the back to the front for one of those side coolers to be used for the diff?

The ideal setup would be 4 radiators in this instance (which they actually show) with the large main one being for engine water, one of the side ones for engine oil (assisted by a heat exchanger on the pan), the other side one for diff fluid, and the 4th (in the middle lower "box") for the trans. I would have the trans cooler for both the manual and the auto; not just the auto.

That setup would be the most efficient and have the fewest components and the least weight for that type of cooling system. You would of course require more fluid for the trans and diff than otherwise but that's okay.

If that's the setup that's actually there and they STILL reduced the weight by at least 200 lbs then one can only wonder what the weight would have been with just one main radiator.

It looks like they've done an incredible amount of work under the skin. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the 7th gen when they aren't restricted on the outside and interior by trying to stay retro.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote