Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #29
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I bought the K&N one because of the name. And I think it looks the best, at least the chrome one does. The C.A.I. one looks funny, I do not like the finish on the tubing or that weird box that the filter sits in.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #30
guyjusthere

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
agreed.. love my K&N.. everyone comments on it
guyjusthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 PM   #31
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Come on guys, everyone knows the bottom line is that they are CHEAP. There are several negatives about both versions but at the end of the day, that $200 price tag makes those negatives less noticeable. You get to say you have a CAI and pay around $200 for it. If you were to research what it takes to make a great CAI, and apply it to all the offerings, K&N wouldn't be on the VERY short list.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #32
TaylorRyanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Come on guys, everyone knows the bottom line is that they are CHEAP. There are several negatives about both versions but at the end of the day, that $200 price tag makes those negatives less noticeable. You get to say you have a CAI and pay around $200 for it. If you were to research what it takes to make a great CAI, and apply it to all the offerings, K&N wouldn't be on the VERY short list.
Whats wrong with K&N? They get about the same hp increase as the others CAIs. They are obviously doing something right since they have been around so long.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
Old 06-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #33
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
Whats wrong with K&N? They get about the same hp increase as the others CAIs. They are obviously doing something right since they have been around so long.

I would also like to know. I have used K&N for a long time and always been happy with them, infact i'm about to place an order for one for the new camaro. All i have heard is good about them, and the price makes it even better.
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #34
The Jerk
Here but not really here.

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbeef54 View Post
I would also like to know. I have used K&N for a long time and always been happy with them, infact i'm about to place an order for one for the new camaro. All i have heard is good about them, and the price makes it even better.
Yeah I dont think I can handle the wait any longer and Im gonna order mine from JDP Motorsports for a great price! Evil where are you getting yours from and how much?

Also, where are these such negative reviews on K&N that would make CAI such a better product in the end? I've never had problems with K&N but honestly everyone's opinion is much like their (__O__)... it stinks..
Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #35
haulnash

Drives: 2010 ss/rs
Have you ever seen any oil analysis done on a motor running a K&N? You typically get a lot of silicon (dirt), with corresponding higher than average wear metals.
haulnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #36
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Yeah I dont think I can handle the wait any longer and Im gonna order mine from JDP Motorsports for a great price! Evil where are you getting yours from and how much?

Also, where are these such negative reviews on K&N that would make CAI such a better product in the end? I've never had problems with K&N but honestly everyone's opinion is much like their (__O__)... it stinks..
So you think a filter is all it takes to make a CAI? Have you looked and compared both K&N CAI's to the other BETTER ones? The aluminum one is just that, aluminum, and isn't a good material to make intake tube from. It's been proven to disappate more heat into the intake charge than the other composite tubes. The plastic one has a huge square indention where the MAF is. That KILLS airflow. Like I said before, the cheap price is the only thing going for it. I find it funny how many people will spend $900+ on a catback that gains them MAYBE 5-10hp but will cheap out on something that will double those gains for less than half the price of the catback.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #37
TaylorRyanSS

Quote:
So you think a filter is all it takes to make a CAI? Have you looked and compared both K&N CAI's to the other BETTER ones? The aluminum one is just that, aluminum, and isn't a good material to make intake tube from. It's been proven to disappate more heat into the intake charge than the other composite tubes. The plastic one has a huge square indention where the MAF is. That KILLS airflow. Like I said before, the cheap price is the only thing going for it. I find it funny how many people will spend $900+ on a catback that gains them MAYBE 5-10hp but will cheap out on something that will double those gains for less than half the price of the catback.

Mine still looks better than all the other ones, thats the main reason I bought it. Plus it HP gains are similar to the others.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #38
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:

Mine still looks better than all the other ones, thats the main reason I bought it. Plus it HP gains are similar to the others.
How can you say it looks better when it looks VERY similar to most of the other noncovered CAI's? Have you dyno'd your car to see the gains? Do you know what makes a good CAI?

Is the tube inlet radius'd? If not, is the filter radius'd? Does the air have a straight shot from inlet to TB? ANYTHING that isn't a smooth tube, from the time air enters to the time it hits the TB will cause turbulence. That bubble connector is a flow killer too. Has anyone posted FT information? K&N has said that ALL of their products will gain HP yet most independent test have shown them to be no better than the OEM pieces. Jannetty Racing tested the K&N drop in and it showed absolutely ZERO HP gain over the OEM filter. It may or may not filter better. There are conflicting test. Did you honestly research all the different Camaro CAI offerings and decide that K&N was the best? It's certainly one of, if not THE cheapest.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #39
TaylorRyanSS

Quote:
How can you say it looks better when it looks VERY similar to most of the other noncovered CAI's? Have you dyno'd your car to see the gains? Do you know what makes a good CAI?

Is the tube inlet radius'd? If not, is the filter radius'd? Does the air have a straight shot from inlet to TB? ANYTHING that isn't a smooth tube, from the time air enters to the time it hits the TB will cause turbulence. That bubble connector is a flow killer too. Has anyone posted FT information? K&N has said that ALL of their products will gain HP yet most independent test have shown them to be no better than the OEM pieces. Jannetty Racing tested the K&N drop in and it showed absolutely ZERO HP gain over the OEM filter. It may or may not filter better. There are conflicting test. Did you honestly research all the different Camaro CAI offerings and decide that K&N was the best? It's certainly one of, if not THE cheapest.
wow calm down lol I do not understand anything you just said

No I have not dynoed my car, but i doubt that this CAI shows no gains. K&N is an old established company so if their products did not work they would not be in business.

skip to 2:22

Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #40
rj600

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
K&N originally started making filters for the offroad industry, specifically desert racers who race thru everything from mud to fine sand. I know many people who work for K&N, personally know one of the original founders of K&N and have used K&N intake systems on everything from trucks and cars to street bikes, dirt bikes and 750hp truggie. Given their history, how can they be bad? True others may be "better", but to say K&N is a bad CAI would be reaching a bit.

Axis, it is true, K&N is a little less expensive than other CAI, perhaps even the cheapest. Honestly though, who cares how much it costs? What independent tests have shown that there is zero HP gains from a K&N? I would love to see those reports, because from what I have seen, first hand, on a dyno... they add HP, and it has been shown that the Typhoon intake does provide, on average, about 16hp in a 2010 Camaro SS.

Above you say that Jannetty Racing did not show any HP gains when the K&N drop in was installed. This is completely different than the Typhoon system. You can't say that the K&N CAI makes no HP gains and use a the dyno from a drop in filter as your argument.

Anyways... my entire point is this... who cares what the intake costs? Does that actually make it better or worse? Think of it this way... perhaps K&N sells more than any other intake company, therefore lowering their overhead and allowing them to sell a superior product at a lower margin.

Last edited by rj600; 06-01-2010 at 10:58 PM.
rj600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #41
rj600

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
As a side note... you asked if the K&N was compared to the other BETTER ones. What BETTER ones are you suggesting? What makes them better, and I am not talking about what it takes to make a good CAI. I mean, what, when comparing apples to apples, what did the other companies do better than K&N? You seem to know a lot about CAIs, and I would like to learn.

I agree, aluminum does absorb head and makes the air warmer as it passes into the TB. However, I have noticed that many companies go with that material because it looks pretty. Personally, I am not a fan of polished aluminum, but some people like it and I would never fault them for it, its their car... therefore their choice.

Last edited by rj600; 06-01-2010 at 11:32 PM.
rj600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #42
PsshPlzz
I'm so JDM I have SARS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to PsshPlzz
Quote:
wow calm down lol I do not understand anything you just said

No I have not dynoed my car, but i doubt that this CAI shows no gains. K&N is an old established company so if their products did not work they would not be in business.

skip to 2:22
just watched this, good vid. But it does appear to be a little k&n biased. One or two k&n plugs. Any comparison vids around?

I read found the jennetty spreadsheat, didnt know if anyone found any other videos.