Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-25-2020, 11:01 AM   #29
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No it isn’t.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #30
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
This is the triangle problem...

You have 3 criteria here:

Durability (as lasting as possible)
Price (as low as possible)
Performance (best handling as possible)

Here how it works; you're only allowed to pick 2. Nothing more.

Want something that doesn't cost much and handles well, they won't last.

Want something that doesn't cost much but last long, they won't handle well.

Want something that handles well and last long, you will pay the price.

It is the same with forced induction. Your criteria are power, reliability and cost. Cheap performance part won't last while pricy and quality parts will last. And something that doesn't cost much and that lasts won't provide you that much power.

That's the struggle of car enthusiasts...

You have to chose which one you will have to sacrifice.

Good luck!
Just be glad Camaro isn’t burdened with the 4th attribute, rolling resistance for FE.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:09 PM   #31
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
hey guys, i want way more power for very little investment. it can’t void the factory warranty or use any parts not made in america from the best materials. oh, also, it must be installed by a professional high performance speed shop because i don’t want to get my hands dirty. and they must pick up the car, leave me a loaner and drop off the finished product in less than 1 business day.

any suggestions?

VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #32
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
Is the Pilot Sport 4S a run-flat?
No, but you can get a fix-a-flat kit.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #33
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
Okay, lets start a tire argument. I've stayed with the OEM Goodyears, but I'm getting tired of buying tires and would like something that looks good, handles well . . . but which I don't have to replace every two years. Oh yeah--and it would be nice if they didn't cost an arm and a leg. There's a bewildering number of choices on Discount Tire's website. Help me narrow it down, please.
I wouldn't bother with any performance street tire not made by Continental or Michelin. They both come with class-leading mileage warranties and are at the top of their categories for performance. The Michelin is that little bit better, but the Continental is a better value proposition.

You want it to last >2 years. Well that drastically depends on the mileage you do per year. If it's 5000 miles a year, then either the PS4S or Conti ECS will have no problems, if it's 15000 miles a year, then I'm not sure you're going to find something that will last that long. You could go with an all-season, but I'm not so sure they'll last much longer than a quality summer tire in a car with 450 hp.

You bought a high power performance car, you're going to have to pay to play. Tires are just going to be one of those costs you can't get around.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:54 AM   #34
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Tires aren't going to last long since the rims are offset (rear is larger) for traction.

If you want tires to last as long as a Camry, you're going to need to buy rims that are the same size all around. Otherwise be prepared to buy tires every 30k mikes regardless of what tire brand you go with.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:27 AM   #35
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Since someone mentioned that the Conti Extreme Contacts were comparable to the Michelins, I will add that I was extremely impressed with the Conti EC's, though they weren't on my SS. As a guy who doesn't track my car, and push it to the limit as many of you do, I didn't wanna blow any Continental fanboy smoke, however....I believe them to be really good. For what it's worth, I'll be putting them on the SS when it needs tires.
This is what is on my SS and I'm plenty happy with them. Living in WI I will not run summer tires. Late fall or early spring when I want to still drive my car, I don't want tires that need to be driving above 45 degrees. I also drive my car in the rain... so I wanted a good all season tire. Continental Extreme Contacts have worked great so far.
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #36
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
The one thing I think people tend to forget is that performance tires are soft material (usually) so the harder you take off and the harder you turn the faster they wear out. Even if it is not super aggressive.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #37
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
You're gonna need a tire budget with these cars
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #38
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I just installed Michelin AS3 and LOVE them ....about 1000 installed ( 984 actually) and ride smooth and quiet.

General has a set for about $760 and so does Firestone..... not any cheaper out there...

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #39
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Michelin AS3 tires are awesome sauce. I will basically only buy them ...not just for my car but my girl's too. You will be extremely hard-pressed to find a better all-around high performance tire that doesn't make compromises that significantly limit all-year (non-snow) use.

The stock runflats are garbage. Both in lifespan and in wet weather traction. Absolute garbage. I dont burn out and my runflats were bald at less than 20k miles.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #40
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
You want longer tire life. I wanted Catherine Bach when we were both younger.

Sometimes you just have to settle for reality.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:42 AM   #41
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
LOL
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #42
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
My LT1 has 245 all seasons on all 4 corners (a free winter setup!). I can compare this to my last 2 fun cars, a 6th gen SS and a ZL1, and I can say on the street for the most part (except traction in first and now chirping 3rd) if I close my eyes i could not tell them apart. Although the LT1 feels slightly more responsive due to lighter weight especially versus the ZL1.

So I agree with the OP. I bought 1LE replica wheels and I want reasonably priced tires to go on these wheels. I doubt I will track this car. But even on the all seasons I bet my LT1 in experienced hands will still be able to run down much more expensive performance cars, at least for a lap or two. That is the baked in goodness in all current Camaros, a world class chassis. Thank you GM for giving us a sports car with a small block Chevy and a manual.

And yea, they eat tires.

Last edited by Fraxum; 05-29-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote