Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #71
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Buy a convertible with auto tilting mirrors and all of your problems melt away
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #72
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
What would be interesting is a coupe without the b-pillar. Mercedes has done it with the old S Class coupe. Elegant and helps with that over shoulder check I’m fond of.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:55 AM   #73
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
No convertible for me but in all seriousness, does the convertible come with auto tilt mirrors?
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:57 AM   #74
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Most of that extra glass is typically on top and gives you a taller skybox, which feels more comfortable, but doesn't provide too much useful additional info. This reminds me of the old widescreen vs 4:3 monitor debate, initially a lot of people were staunchly against the "slashed" widescreen format.
D
You’re right... it’s just more skyline which feels open and airy.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:12 AM   #75
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
If they offered a Camaro with a power hard top I would have bought one. No rag top for me.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:20 AM   #76
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
If they offered a Camaro with a power hard top I would have bought one. No rag top for me.
No room for a power hard top to go! Unless it folds up like an accordion/Rubik's cube hybrid! lol
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #77
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I can stand by this. I enjoy a good convertible, but I want no part of any soft tops. I don't care for the looks, don't want the maintenance of it, they're louder, less safer, etc., etc. I also understand that the Camaro would need an overhaul to incorporate a power hard top.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #78
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
Guys:

It pains me to post this. I really didn’t want to but hopefully it raises awareness for those that read it: I totaled my car a month ago switching parking spots. I kid you not. It was dark, windy and raining pretty hard at the time. I pulled into a parking spot, put it in park and was about to shut the engine down. I looked to my right and noticed the full size truck next to me looked really close. I looked to my left and saw there appeared to be more open spots over that way. Better to walk a bit further in the rain than have a full sized door blow when opened into the side of my car I figured. So I put it back in drive and went straight ahead out of the spot and began a tight left 180 degree turn toward the other spots. As I came around the turn, a late model BMW came into my field of view and I thought I’d park near it. Right then I heard a scraping noise. My instant thought as I got on the brakes was that I had run over a chunk of debris laying on the ground that was dragging under the front end. If only that had been the case.

It was then that I saw the hood buckled and realized I’d run into a light pole. The parking lot has low intensity lights staggered throughout the middle section. What I couldn’t see was the much more obvious and larger diameter concrete base of the pole. It was below the front end “waterline” of my field of vision so to speak. I didn’t feel a jolt of any kind or strain in my wrists from the impact and there was no air bag deployment. I couldn’t have been going over 10mph I would guess. The amount of damage though was pretty astonishing. The only relief I felt was the car drove perfectly fine down the interstate to a body shop 20 minutes away. All systems normal except for the mangled front end and hood.

The body shop estimate floored me a couple days later: $10,600. The insurance company estimator came in and declared it a total loss. The car is now sitting in a salvage yard as we speak with 35,000 miles on it.

I recreated the event in another vehicle at night and was able to see the concrete base of the pole easily throughout the turn and even when right up against it. I believe the event wouldn’t have happened in that vehicle. Nevertheless, I screwed up big time and accept full responsibility for it. In 30 plus years of driving, I’ve never done any damage to a car remotely close to this. I’m pretty horrified and embarrassed to say the least.

Moral of the story: Yes the visibility is manageable in these cars. However, a momentary loss of situational awareness coupled with the restricted visibility can really bite hard, even at low speed. I could never recommend one now without the front end collision sensors. If mine had had them, it would still be sitting in the garage right now. Good luck and be careful out there.

Last edited by IAI80; 01-13-2021 at 11:49 AM.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #79
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Why these camaros don't have front end and blind spot warning STANDARD blows my mind.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #80
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAI80 View Post
Guys:

It pains me to post this. I really didn’t want to but hopefully it raises awareness for those that read it: I totaled my car a month ago switching parking spots. I kid you not. It was dark, windy and raining pretty hard at the time. I pulled into a parking spot, put it in park and was about to shut the engine down. I looked to my right and noticed the full size truck next to me looked really close. I looked to my left and saw there appeared to be more open spots over that way. Better to walk a bit further in the rain than have a full sized door blow when opened into the side of my car I figured. So I put it back in drive and went straight ahead out of the spot and began a tight left 180 degree turn toward the other spots. As I came around the turn, a late model BMW came into my field of view and I thought I’d park near it. Right then I heard a scraping noise. My instant thought as I got on the brakes was that I had run over a chunk of debris laying on the ground that was dragging under the front end. If only that had been the case.

It was then that I saw the hood buckled and realized I’d run into a light pole. The parking lot has low intensity lights staggered throughout the middle section. What I couldn’t see was the much more obvious and larger diameter concrete base of the pole. It was below the front end “waterline” of my field of vision so to speak. I didn’t feel a jolt of any kind or strain in my wrists from the impact and there was no air bag deployment. I couldn’t have been going over 10mph I would guess. The amount of damage though was pretty astonishing. The only relief I felt was the car drove perfectly fine down the interstate to a body shop 20 minutes away. All systems normal except for the mangled front end and hood.

The body shop estimate floored me a couple days later: $10,600. The insurance company estimator came in and declared it a total loss. The car is now sitting in a salvage yard as we speak with 35,000 miles on it.

I recreated the event in another vehicle at night and was able to see the concrete base of the pole easily throughout the turn and even when right up against it. I believe the event wouldn’t have happened in that vehicle. Nevertheless, I screwed up big time and accept full responsibility for it. In 30 plus years of driving, I’ve never done any damage to a car remotely close to this. I’m pretty horrified and embarrassed to say the least.

Moral of the story: Yes the visibility is manageable in these cars. However, a momentary loss of situational awareness coupled with the restricted visibility can really bite hard, even at low speed. I could never recommend one now without the front end collision sensors. If mine had had them, it would still be sitting in the garage right now. Good luck and be careful out there.
Damn, so sorry! At least you're OK. The car can be replaced.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #81
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
Why these camaros don't have front end and blind spot warning STANDARD blows my mind.
I was told it's because of the design of the Camaro. The frontend is too "open" to house the sensors and such with the large grilles and need for maximum airflow. IDK...
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:30 PM   #82
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
I was told it's because of the design of the Camaro. The frontend is too "open" to house the sensors and such with the large grilles and need for maximum airflow. IDK...

It also seems like a GM-wide policy to not offer safety systems standard except at top-end trims and on Cadillacs.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #83
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Guys:

Man, this is painful even to read, I know how it feels. Indeed the car sits low and has a high beltline, no question about having to be more attentive.

Out of curiosity, just to confirm my understanding of what you wrote, did this happen in a sharp left turn around ths pole whose concrete base was much wider, and you were too close to see it?

(Btw my wife totaled her previous SUV almost the exact same way, except in broad daylight. I doubt that was due to visibility or lack thereof, but we all make mistakes, nobody's exempt. I think we are fortunate more often than not.)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #84
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Guys:

Saddened to here about the car, & your hassle.

That being said I did something similar in a Taurus.

Shit happens.

Oh, if you own it outright, find out what the buyback would be.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote