Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-16-2020, 07:52 AM   #7379
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Here’s how I’m reading it:

Stingray: LT2 6.2L NA
E-Ray: LT2 6.2L NA + front mounted eMotor and small Ultium battery
Z06: LT6 5.5L FPC NA
ZR1: LT7 5.5TT
Zora: LT7 5.5TT + eMotor mounted btw engine and trans + front mounted eMotor and small Ultium battery
As you have mentioned before, it's a great lineup that offers nearly everything for the enthusiast...except a manual.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #7380
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...vroletsuv.html

They may be sticker or appearance packages but they sell like hotcakes.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #7381

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

lol...The Camaro's RS package included body colored roof rails to replace the black roof ditch molding....Now the RS includes black roof ditch molding as an extra cost option...lol...

I agree, the option packages are an over-priced nothing-burger that sells well...Seems to have always been the case..lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #7382
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

I mean, I was one of those suckers in 2018.
Attached Images

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:55 PM   #7383
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I don't mind sticker packages. It would just be nice to see GM put some effort in and release packages that actually increase performance.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #7384
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12...he-first-time/

Bolt EUV.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:31 AM   #7385
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Evidence that ICE trucks will continue on for some time. It’s sorta buried in the text of this article reporting confirmation of a BEV GMC Sierra-ish truck, but it’s something we (IHS Markit) have been forecasting for quite sometime. We expect Cadillac will be all BEV, with the possible exception of maintaining an ICE Escalade (because cash-cow). We expect other brands to have 2-4 BEVs each, with the rest of their portfolios staying ICE. At least for as long as most of us will still be amongst the driving public.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/22/...sierra-pickup/
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #7386
snizzle
Recalled user

GM is only doing this because the charging infrastructure isn't there yet across the country. And it's still slower than to pump gas. Once/if they solve the convenience issues, end user experience if you will, charging availability, and they improve the battery tech/motors, you can bet ICE is gone.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 12-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #7387
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
GM is only doing this because the charging infrastructure isn't there yet across the country. And it's still slower than to pump gas. Once/if they solve the convenience issues, end user experience if you will, charging availability, and they improve the battery tech/motors, you can bet ICE is gone.
For ICE to be gone, Worldwide battery production will have to increase to more than 1000 x current capabilities...and that's just production and doesn't even mention mining resources increases that would also be necessary. It also ignores all infrastructure upgrades.

Point - it will be a slow transition, and if the miraculous battery improvements that I've been hearing about for 25 years never happen, Hydrogen fuel cell will quickly take over the ICE market share and easily out pace EVs due to inefficient batteries and their production.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 12-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #7388
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
For ICE to be gone, Worldwide battery production will have to increase to more than 1000 x current capabilities...and that's just production and doesn't even mention mining resources increases that would also be necessary. It also ignores all infrastructure upgrades.

Point - it will be a slow transition, and if the miraculous battery improvements that I've been hearing about for 25 years never happen, Hydrogen fuel cell will quickly take over the ICE market share and easily out pace EVs due to inefficient batteries and their production.
I was with you until that last sentence. Passenger vehicle application of hydrogen fuel cell will probably never happen. If EVs have an infrastructure problem, then Fuel Cells are screaming “hold my beer”. I think there will be a healthy deployment of Fuel Cell in commercial transport where infrastructure can parallel depot systems and service vehicles with known repeatable routes. With EVs, private vehicle owners quickly find out that they do 90+% of their charging at home. For trips that exceed the battery range (200+ miles) the infrastructure is constantly growing and the option of just taking an ICE vehicle is still available. For FCEV, nobody is refueling at home.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #7389
NW-99SS

Quote:
I was with you until that last sentence. Passenger vehicle application of hydrogen fuel cell will probably never happen. If EVs have an infrastructure problem, then Fuel Cells are screaming “hold my beer”. I think there will be a healthy deployment of Fuel Cell in commercial transport where infrastructure can parallel depot systems and service vehicles with known repeatable routes. With EVs, private vehicle owners quickly find out that they do 90+% of their charging at home. For trips that exceed the battery range (200+ miles) the infrastructure is constantly growing and the option of just taking an ICE vehicle is still available. For FCEV, nobody is refueling at home.
My last sentence is taken directly from Gordon Murray - head of McLaren.

In the same way the electrical infrastructure can be upgraded, so can hydrogen delivery. It's not, oh it's possible for EV but nothing else...
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 12-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #7390
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
My last sentence is taken directly from Gordon Murray - head of McLaren.

In the same way the electrical infrastructure can be upgraded, so can hydrogen delivery. It's not, oh it's possible for EV but nothing else...
One of my mentors at GM was Larry Burns. When he was VP of R&D at General Motors he led GM development of fuel cells and EVs and is still very active in fuel cell and autonomous driving circles today. He and Gordon Murray would probably agree on where FCEV may be headed. I will continue to disagree with both of them on this point. Given that GM’s work on FCEV predates GM’s work on modern EVs, I think there are some merits to my position on this.

Given the opportunity to “ refuel” everyday at home while you sleep, or driving to a hydrogen refueling station...for the sake of argument let’s say that you can get hydrogen at 50% of the gas station locations available today...what would most consumers do? I argue that they would refuel at home. Infrastructure for long range EVs (200+ mile range) is only needed for long trips.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #7391
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
One of my mentors at GM was Larry Burns. When he was VP of R&D at General Motors he led GM development of fuel cells and EVs and is still very active in fuel cell and autonomous driving circles today. He and Gordon Murray would probably agree on where FCEV may be headed. I will continue to disagree with both of them on this point. Given that GM’s work on FCEV predates GM’s work on modern EVs, I think there are some merits to my position on this.

Given the opportunity to “ refuel” everyday at home while you sleep, or driving to a hydrogen refueling station...for the sake of argument let’s say that you can get hydrogen at 50% of the gas station locations available today...what would most consumers do? I argue that they would refuel at home. Infrastructure for long range EVs (200+ mile range) is only needed for long trips.
Martin, why did GM dump Voltec? It seems it's the perfect stop gap. Was it complexity? I don't get it. I feel like it should have carried across the portfolio.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 12-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #7392
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Tried the Chevy build a Silverado. What a mess, it built it fine, didn't offer here's a close match. I picked 3 local dealers to contact me, 1 emailed me saying we will contact you (didnt) the other 2 didn't even acknowledge. Its a shame as one dealer has 54 on their lot.. Is Chevy kicking so much sales butt they don't need me? SMH

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions