Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #43
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Exact feature? No, you're right.

My point was that there is already something built into the car (even though it's a gigantic PITA to use it the way you're alluding to). If you go aftermarket w/ the exhaust, all bets are pretty much off no matter what, no matter what car.
So it would be nice to make it easier.

And there are aftermarket systems that still work with NPP functionalities.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:23 PM   #44
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
For sure, I totally get that. That's why I mentioned I knew that it wouldn't be very realistic. In my particular situation though, something like this would be perfect. For me getting the V8 sound and torque, at the lowest possible cost, would be ideal
I agree that the sound from the V8 can only really be gotten from a V8. I don't know that there would be much cost difference when all was said and done, though.

The 5.3 would likely use a very different automatic transmission as it typically is mated with a 6-speed in the trucks (and the 6.2 is mated with a 10-speed). If the sales volume were high enough, it could make for a small savings. With such low volume, though, my guess is that all it would realistically do is end up raising the cost for the 6.2.

There's also the question of whether or not it could achieve good enough CAFE numbers to be able to be offered as an option...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:33 PM   #45
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
I agree that the sound from the V8 can only really be gotten from a V8. I don't know that there would be much cost difference when all was said and done, though.

The 5.3 would likely use a very different automatic transmission as it typically is mated with a 6-speed in the trucks (and the 6.2 is mated with a 10-speed). If the sales volume were high enough, it could make for a small savings. With such low volume, though, my guess is that all it would realistically do is end up raising the cost for the 6.2.

There's also the question of whether or not it could achieve good enough CAFE numbers to be able to be offered as an option...
Very true. The one thing I like about Dodge is that they still offer the 5.7 in the Challenger and Charger, even though it's in their trucks as well. Obviously something like this would never be feasible (for multiple reasons) but if it was offered for around 30k I would be all over it.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #46
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Dodge also makes 2 and 4 door variants, and the chassis development costs have been fully depreciated for years since it was inherited from an older E class during the Daimler days. The comparison is apples to poop.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #47
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
So it would be nice to make it easier.

And there are aftermarket systems that still work with NPP functionalities.

Sent from toaster or something
Yeah, easier would definitely be better. I think the biggest problem is that there is SO MUCH crap in cars today, that you have to have everything buried six menus deep to change settings.

GM's Infotainment options are crap right from the get-go... They allow you to change the ambient lighting based on driving mode, but only if you want to use THEIR chosen colors for the mode. Similar with MagRide and NPP. They either change with each mode or stay in one setting. Why? Why can't I have my own presets with ambient color, NPP, and MagRide settings set to what -I- want?

Because their software designers are horrible at what they do. That's why.

I've seen a couple of aftermarket exhausts that 'claim' to integrate/work with NPP, but I've read that the real-world experience leaves a lot to be desired. Then again, no one is changing their exhaust because they want it to be quieter and more tame...
Old 01-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #48
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
1) Better visibility. We all got used to it, but many potential buyers get into the car and say I can't see shit. Then they go buy a Mustang or Challenger. If the new Camaro is on the same chassis as the Cadillac CT4 and CT5, there is no reason why it should be forced to have such bad visibility. GM should want the car to sell (relative to Mustang and Challenger). This would be a huge help.

2) Bring back the hatch/liftback from the 3rd and 4th gen. One of the biggest problems with the 6th gen is the terrible trunk opening. This would be a huge help for people looking to use the car as a daily driver by expanding its practicality.

3) Give2 to 3 more inches of back seat legroom. Yes, its a sports car but there are soooooo many other coupes that are just as long (or even shorter) than the Camaro yet they have much better legroom.

I'd also like to see design language inspired by the 3rd gen Camaro. It's my favorite for sure. Just don't hamper it with tiny windows like the 6th gen.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #49
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
3) Give2 to 3 more inches of back seat legroom. Yes, its a sports car but there are soooooo many other coupes that are just as long (or even shorter) than the Camaro yet they have much better legroom.
I wouldn't mind if they shortened the car overall and got rid of the backseat altogether. I love 2-seaters. I loved my 370Z! Just my preference, of course.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #50
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
1) Better visibility. We all got used to it, but many potential buyers get into the car and say I can't see shit. Then they go buy a Mustang or Challenger. If the new Camaro is on the same chassis as the Cadillac CT4 and CT5, there is no reason why it should be forced to have such bad visibility. GM should want the car to sell (relative to Mustang and Challenger). This would be a huge help.
I never see anything behind me...

Quote:
2) Bring back the hatch/liftback from the 3rd and 4th gen. One of the biggest problems with the 6th gen is the terrible trunk opening. This would be a huge help for people looking to use the car as a daily driver by expanding its practicality.

I'd also like to see design language inspired by the 3rd gen Camaro. It's my favorite for sure. Just don't hamper it with tiny windows like the 6th gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
I wouldn't mind if they shortened the car overall and got rid of the backseat altogether. I love 2-seaters. I loved my 370Z! Just my preference, of course.
All of these suggestions and ideas effectively kill the convertible.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #51
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
The direction the 6th gen went front from the 5th gen was perfect for me. Do that again, a little smaller, a little lighter, more modern, keep the high belt lines, keep the look and shape.

FULL DIGITAL CLUSTER come on Chevy

Odd ball might get hate for this-
But how about a electric assisted option for the SS similar to F1 style power trains, the electric motor could go in line with the 6.2L LT2 and add tons of torque
Call it the SS-e torque sell it for 7500-8000 more as an option to the regular SS and maybe a federal tax credit would pay the difference lol...
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:13 PM   #52
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyazzata29 View Post
The direction the 6th gen went front from the 5th gen was perfect for me. Do that again, a little smaller, a little lighter, more modern, keep the high belt lines, keep the look and shape.

FULL DIGITAL CLUSTER come on Chevy

Odd ball might get hate for this-
But how about a electric assisted option for the SS similar to F1 style power trains, the electric motor could go in line with the 6.2L LT2 and add tons of torque
Call it the SS-e torque sell it for 7500-8000 more as an option to the regular SS and maybe a federal tax credit would pay the difference lol...
Also I’m really not against a hatch version i think it could look sick - RS5 type of look specifically
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #53
Disarmer

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
I realize this is an enthusiast site, so a lot of these probably won't sit well here, but they would significantly help the car sell by making it far more usable as a daily driver.

FUN items I want:
  • T-tops
  • A real parking brake
  • Custom driving modes that you can cycle through with a button (i.e. "User1" which automatically changes to whatever settings I set it for - Sport exhaust, Touring steering, Track suspension, etc)
  • Electric motors on the front wheels for better launches while still maintaining the big V8 RWD feel
  • Clutch travel needs to be shorter. It's annoyingly long and engages at the very top which makes it feel awkward
  • Get rid of the hard plastics in the interior. My $30k Mazda has leather everywhere I can touch, can't be that expensive to do.
  • Stop putting random plastic gray interior parts next to Chrome ones. The gray/silver piece on the door panel looks hideous with the other Chrome in the car

USABILITY items I want:
  • Hatchback style similar to 4th gen or the C7. This trunk opening is laughable.
  • Shorter doors. The length of them currently makes it impossible to get in and out with anything near you.
  • Lower window line. I have to open my door to pick up food half the time because take out won't fit through the window.
  • Slightly more usable back seat. I (6'3", 290lb) rode in the back of my buddy's M2 a few days ago and I wasn't miserable. I can't even get in my own back seat.
  • Front view camera for parking. It's currently impossible to know where my splitter is and I'm bound to destroy it sooner rather than later.
  • Smart driving featuers. Base level $15k Kia's have auto cruise control, lane keep assist, emergency braking, cross traffic alert, etc. standard. Come on Chevy.
  • Stealth mode to actually be on a button somewhere (or cycle through the modes for it). Pain in the ass to go through all the menus twice just because I want to start my car quietly. Hell, plenty of cars have a feature now where you can enable a quiet start during certain times of the day automatically.

All that being said, I love my car. But there are a lot of "easy" things they could have done to make it a MUCH better daily vehicle and those are pretty much all I'd want in a new one. I'd argue that a lot of those are deal breakers for normal folks and is part of the reason the Camaro crowd is more enthusiasts. We put up with the little things because the power, handling, suspension, brakes, and looks are all insanely good.

Feel free to roast away
Disarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #54
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmer View Post
I realize this is an enthusiast site, so a lot of these probably won't sit well here, but they would significantly help the car sell by making it far more usable as a daily driver.

FUN items I want:
  • T-tops
  • A real parking brake
  • Custom driving modes that you can cycle through with a button (i.e. "User1" which automatically changes to whatever settings I set it for - Sport exhaust, Touring steering, Track suspension, etc)
  • Electric motors on the front wheels for better launches while still maintaining the big V8 RWD feel
  • Clutch travel needs to be shorter. It's annoyingly long and engages at the very top which makes it feel awkward
  • Get rid of the hard plastics in the interior. My $30k Mazda has leather everywhere I can touch, can't be that expensive to do.
  • Stop putting random plastic gray interior parts next to Chrome ones. The gray/silver piece on the door panel looks hideous with the other Chrome in the car
Don't care about T-Top as I want a convertible.
An actual parking brake would be nice provided it doesn't take away even MORE interior room.
Totally agree on the driving modes. It irks me the way GM has their Infotainment software built.
No electric - I want LESS tech, not more.
Clutch travel could be shorter, but for general driving I'm ok with it as is.
Agree on the hard plastics. The padded knee pads in the 2SS are nice, but the hard plastic ones are painful. The way the rest look are very bland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmer View Post
USABILITY items I want:
  • Hatchback style similar to 4th gen or the C7. This trunk opening is laughable.
  • Shorter doors. The length of them currently makes it impossible to get in and out with anything near you.
  • Lower window line. I have to open my door to pick up food half the time because take out won't fit through the window.
  • Slightly more usable back seat. I (6'3", 290lb) rode in the back of my buddy's M2 a few days ago and I wasn't miserable. I can't even get in my own back seat.
  • Front view camera for parking. It's currently impossible to know where my splitter is and I'm bound to destroy it sooner rather than later.
  • Smart driving featuers. Base level $15k Kia's have auto cruise control, lane keep assist, emergency braking, cross traffic alert, etc. standard. Come on Chevy.
  • Stealth mode to actually be on a button somewhere (or cycle through the modes for it). Pain in the ass to go through all the menus twice just because I want to start my car quietly. Hell, plenty of cars have a feature now where you can enable a quiet start during certain times of the day automatically.

All that being said, I love my car. But there are a lot of "easy" things they could have done to make it a MUCH better daily vehicle and those are pretty much all I'd want in a new one. I'd argue that a lot of those are deal breakers for normal folks and is part of the reason the Camaro crowd is more enthusiasts. We put up with the little things because the power, handling, suspension, brakes, and looks are all insanely good.

Feel free to roast away
Hatchback - see above about convertible.
Shorter doors - with the low-slung body in general, I can't see it being at all feasible to get someone my height in and out comfortably with shorter doors. But, I understand what you're getting at.
Lower window line. See "get a convertible."
Bigger back seat - I'd rather see it disappear than get larger because the convertible option would be gone. Alternatively, a slightly higher roof line could solve the issues with door length, back seat, and window line while not losing the convertible option.
Smart features. No. No. And more no. LESS tech. The more crap they put into cars, the harder they are to repair, the more problems they have, etc.
Stealth mode that "works." Yup. They need to address this similar to how they would address driving modes.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #55
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Better interior storage!!!!! My phone is sliding all over the darn place. If they think Im putting it in that spot behind the seat....no flipping way. Even the passenger doesn't have a place to set their phone.

No other complaints, other than, you should see how hard it is to go to drive through bank machine. I had to tilt my head sideways to make a deposit out the window. LOL.

This car is a beauty though. It really is.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #56
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
All of these suggestions and ideas effectively kill the convertible.
Why? The 370Z is a 2-seater and has a convertible version.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote