Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-17-2023, 12:07 PM   #29
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
So sorry this cut your track weekend short. It sucks having to drive all the way to VIR from NJ and now having to somehow limp your way back home. This is making me consider a trailer now!
Thanks. Yeah, totally sucks and unexpected on a relatively stock LT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
It was a belt shred. No other damage. I do not have the part number handy.
Appreciate the info. So there's at least a couple of us that have experienced this. I wish it was the idler pulley -- at least then I'd know what caused this.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 01:09 PM   #30
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
After my fix, I went back out on track for another session. Car was solid for most of the sesion, but towards the end I got a "Car Overheating, Reduced Engine Power" message on the DIC and my coolant temp was pegged at 260. I immediately came into the pits, but within seconds of seeing that message everything normalized.

It was a false alarm. The car was not overheating or if it was, it rectified the situation in a matter of seconds (before I even came into the pits). At first I was thinking some type of coolant sensor or wiring was damaged when the belt shredded, but now I'm considering if it's related to the aftermarket Motorad thermostat I bought from O'Reilly's.

Anyway, the car drove perfectly fine on the 8 hour trip home last night.

I was at Putnam Park last Saturday and experienced the exact same thing. I replaced the t-stat housing out of caution after seeing a guy break his t-stat housing 2 years ago from a belt. I bought the AMP t-stat and housing which came with a 160 deg t-stat. I then bought the identical style motorad t-stat from the Moto-Rad Store online in a 180 deg to avoid a low coolant temp fault.

I had no problems with the first 2 sessions. Session 3 it went to 260 with engine power reduction and immediately came down by the time I got back to the pits. Missed the rest of that session while I checked for an air pocket and put a secondary clamp on as the factory didnt seem to clamp well enough. Went out for session 4 and it did it again on lap 2. Dropped back to normal by the time I got to the pits. Missed the rest of that session while I put the original back in. Went out for session 5 and no problems!

It just so happened the guy I saw this happen to 2 years ago told me he had problems until he purchased a Genuine GM LS3 stat. Thats what it took for him to run the new housing without problems.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 01:28 PM   #31
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
I was at Putnam Park last Saturday and experienced the exact same thing. I replaced the t-stat housing out of caution after seeing a guy break his t-stat housing 2 years ago from a belt. I bought the AMP t-stat and housing which came with a 160 deg t-stat. I then bought the identical style motorad t-stat from the Moto-Rad Store online in a 180 deg to avoid a low coolant temp fault.

I had no problems with the first 2 sessions. Session 3 it went to 260 with engine power reduction and immediately came down by the time I got back to the pits. Missed the rest of that session while I checked for an air pocket and put a secondary clamp on as the factory didnt seem to clamp well enough. Went out for session 4 and it did it again on lap 2. Dropped back to normal by the time I got to the pits. Missed the rest of that session while I put the original back in. Went out for session 5 and no problems!

It just so happened the guy I saw this happen to 2 years ago told me he had problems until he purchased a Genuine GM LS3 stat. Thats what it took for him to run the new housing without problems.
Wow this sounds all to familiar! After I installed the Motorad t-stat from O'Reilly's and followed the static fill procedure, I went back out for the next session. Six minutes into the session is when the car overheated. Same deal -- pegged at 260 and engine power reduced message. PDR data shows max coolant temp of 266. I'm not sure what's going on with the Motorad LT style t-stat -- After I did the static fill procedure I let the car get to operating temp and ensured the t-stat opened by feeling the upper radiator hose. However, it seems the t-stat did not open on track until after the car overheated.

It sounds like I'm on the right track with the LS3 t-stat though. Good info. Thanks for sharing! I don't know what t-stat the DMS housing comes with, but I'm not going to use it anyway since it's a 160. I'll be using the Lingenfelter 174.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 04-17-2023, 01:32 PM   #32
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Question -- can the plastic thermostat housing be separated from the thermostat? I saved my broken OEM thermostat housing & thermostat. Wondering if I can put the OEM thermostat into the aftermarket plastic housing. Not that it really matters since I have the billet housing & LS3 thermostat coming, but just curious.

YouTube
Old 04-17-2023, 03:41 PM   #33
BROCKgoFAST

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
My tensioner exploded and took out the belt or the belt took it out
BROCKgoFAST is offline   Reply With Quote