Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Dealer replaced dash because of crack new dash has bump on it

Hey guys, I took my 2010 Camaro SS to the dealer because i had the issue a lot of other guys on here have had where the dash cracks around the seam for the passenger airbag on the inner portion of it. Also, the outline for the whole airbag is much more noticeable than a new dashboard. I took it to a local chevy dealer here in Gulfport and had a great service advisor who wrote up the ticket and got my car in and out in a day with a new dash. Well, the new dash doesn't have a crack but it has a bump on it right below the passenger center air vent as pictured below. I'm glad to have a new dash at no cost but that bump is gonna drive me nuts. Does anyone else have this bump? It's most likely a defect from when it was produced. Would you consider me "in the right" to take it back to them and get them to order a different dash and redo the job because of it? Also, they had to remove a lot of stuff to replace the dash and i noticed on the drive home the chrome trim around my steering wheel airbag has a chip in it. To fix that it would be at least $250 because the small trim piece is not sold separately. The advisor said they are paid an amount based on my satisfaction from a survey i will get. Hate to be a dick but i think i may have to take it back to them on this one.

Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Take it back and have them redo it. are you still in warranty?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Turbo_J89

I wasn't sure when my warranty expired. I saw the crack and was very busy(I'm in the military and hardly get any time off). After about a month of the crack growing i went to the dealer to report it and found out i documented the issue literally the last day i was under warranty. Warranty expired at midnight. I consider myself very lucky for that. They ordered the part and installed it yesterday. Picked the car up this morning. If push came to shove i would much rather have the little bump than a huge crack on my dash. Just very disappointing to get a brand new GM dash installed and have the bump on there. Obviously a production flaw that slipped through the cracks.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Dtrimpi87
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 & 2011 1LT/RS
I would take it back and have them replace it. Dont wait too long to take it back. Your not being a dick, your just wanting your car to be the way it should be. Whoever the tech was should have noticed that bump and not even installed it, but some dealer tech's aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.
Dtrimpi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Turbo_J89

Well I took the car back to the dealer today and showed them the defect on the dash. They ordered another dash no questions asked
Old 11-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Go back to the dealer and show them the dash, it will be parts warranty for sure, that's a factory defect that tech should have seen/noticed before installing the new dash.

The chrome trim on your wheel is part of the air bag, you might get lucky and find one on eBay, if not you'll have to buy OEM which is costly. If the dent happened during the replacement of you dash cover, the dealer is responsible and they will/should replaced it on their behalf.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Turbo_J89

Well I've got to the bottom of it. After talking to user 2SSRS who has done several dash installs in these 10-11 Camaro's there wasn't a factory defect on that dash. The tech who installed the dash used the wrong bolt during the install. Something to do with the A/C behind the dash uses a special short bolt instead of the longer bolts found in other spots. When the bolt is tighten it breaks through the plastic and bulges out the dash material. That bulge is very firm because it is the back end of a bolt pushing it out. The dash has been ordered and will still have to be replaced. While messing that up, the technician also messed up the chrome on my steering wheel airbag, installed my Automatic Light Sensor wrong, and broke my brand new radio faceplate. I'm gonna go out of my way to make sure the jackass who did my install doesn't touch my car again.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
2011ozzy

Drives: 2011 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_J89 View Post
Well I've got to the bottom of it. After talking to user 2SSRS who has done several dash installs in these 10-11 Camaro's there wasn't a factory defect on that dash. The tech who installed the dash used the wrong bolt during the install. Something to do with the A/C behind the dash uses a special short bolt instead of the longer bolts found in other spots. When the bolt is tighten it breaks through the plastic and bulges out the dash material. That bulge is very firm because it is the back end of a bolt pushing it out. The dash has been ordered and will still have to be replaced. While messing that up, the technician also messed up the chrome on my steering wheel airbag, installed my Automatic Light Sensor wrong, and broke my brand new radio faceplate. I'm gonna go out of my way to make sure the jackass who did my install doesn't touch my car again.
Man what a awful customer service example i would take it to a different dealer.And document everything.
2011ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Wouldn't go as far as calling the guy a jackass, but he might be a technician that might excel in other aspects of vehicle repairs, or is just simply not qualified to repair or replace trim panels. Not everyone has the patience and the tidiness/caring that another technicians might have.

When I replaced heater cores (4 of them were customers (1 recently), 5 including my Camaro) I was very careful when removing all dash parts, bagged and tagged all the bolts for every specific part or area they were removed, made sure all the frame bolts were torqued, thread locker applied back on the bolts that had some, I even replaced the Christmas tree clips that hold down the big wiring harnesses behind the dash to ensure the vehicle has no creaks, squeaks and unwanted noises inside the cabin.

Our shop runs on the GM flat rate system, seeing and knowing from experience that removing and installing dashes, trim panels etc... doesn't pay what so ever, your basically always losing the shirt of your back. But for me that doesn't change the quality of work I put out the door, but for other it drastically affects the quality.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Turbo_J89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post
Wouldn't go as far as calling the guy a jackass, but he might be a technician that might excel in other aspects of vehicle repairs, or is just simply not qualified to repair or replace trim panels. Not everyone has the patience and the tidiness/caring that another technicians might have.

When I replaced heater cores (4 of them were customers (1 recently), 5 including my Camaro) I was very careful when removing all dash parts, bagged and tagged all the bolts for every specific part or area they were removed, made sure all the frame bolts were torqued, thread locker applied back on the bolts that had some, I even replaced the Christmas tree clips that hold down the big wiring harnesses behind the dash to ensure the vehicle has no creaks, squeaks and unwanted noises inside the cabin.

Our shop runs on the GM flat rate system, seeing and knowing from experience that removing and installing dashes, trim panels etc... doesn't pay what so ever, your basically always losing the shirt of your back. But for me that doesn't change the quality of work I put out the door, but for other it drastically affects the quality.
Your right, the guy probably does excel in other areas of work besides dash/trim install but there is a minimum standard when inspecting your own work after an install. It's hard for me to believe the technician did not see the bulge in the dash or notice that he damaged my airbag, my new faceplate, and installed my light sensor incorrectly. From the businesses stand point, use your guys for what they are good at. Sure they will hop in under supervision and learn other things but someone so substandard at a dash install shouldn't be doing the job without experience leading the project. After what probably took 4-6 hours of labor, the job has to be redone. Not to mention a lot of expensive parts were damaged. It can be chocked up to a total loss for me and the company now. I hate to have to bring the car back and i'm sure they hate to see it come back. Could have all been avoided if the right guy was put on the job.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Great attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_BigC View Post

Funny in the old days most all took pride in the work that they did.Usually did not short cut and did it right the first time.You are to be commended for having that pride in your workmanship.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #12
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Thank you!

Ya it's really tough to find people who actually want to do trim, let alone the small percentage you can actually trust to do trim properly, especially in the nicer more expensive cars!

I wasn't vouching for the tech who changed ur dash, I know you didn't think that but I just wanted to clarify that for others. I think GM pays like 2hrs maybe less to replace that dash cover. Seems like a lot of time but if u want it done right it's a good 5 hr job, to remove everything, mark, note and bag all the bolts, reinstall, verify that the condition is gone and depending on your dealership some techs might also have to clean the dash and basically the entire inside of the car. I personally do it regardless, when the car leaves my bay it has to look the same or better then what it did when the car came in regardless of the make or price tag of the car. And just some food for thought, when I replaced heater cores inside 5 Camaros total now, not once did I sit on the seats or in the car! I sat on the door sils, on a soft blanket and worked like that, yes it's tougher to do the job but that way I know for a fact that I dont dirty, or damage anything.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Sounds like you have a great dealership to work with, Turbo_J89! Let us know if you have any questions!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
Turbo_J89

I have been very happy with the dealership other than the install itself. Wrote up the ticket for the new dash without an argument, got the parts quick, had my car in and out in less than a day. As long as they make right the wrongs from the technician who installed the dash i will consider buying my next car at that dealer. Really hard to find a good dealership. I know they don't make a lot off the dash install for warranty work but if they go the extra mile i'll be back.

Last edited by Turbo_J89; 11-12-2012 at 03:16 PM.