Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
jordan 572

Drives: none
Finally, I'm turbo'd

I finally got my car back from installing the turbonetics kit. I bought the Turbo kit from Steve at RDP motorsports. Steve was a really nice guy and exceeded my high expectations for sure. His pricing is unbeatable, turbonetics customer support was great also. I do however have to complain a bit about the fitment, taking into consideration this is an aftermarket kit you can't expect perfection but from start to finish there was about 40 hours of labor. Not the 12-15 as advertised, everything went good until the turbo went in, it was almost like the up pipe coming into the hot side of the turbo was about a half inch short, this caused the down pipe from the hot side to ride in really close to the pulleys, a lot of tweaking took place to get it so the down pipe didn't rub against the compressor. Then to get it where we wanted it, the cross member need to be notched out a bit so the pipe wouldn't rub. This wasn't a big deal but just took time, once that mess was done it was onto bending the sheet metal structure around the right headlamp so we could run the big hose boots to the BOV and intercooler. Instead of bending the structure out we cut out the entire piece and fabricated a new one in that went around the pipes. This was personal preference really, you could have bent it out with some pliers but we thought it would look amateur. The rest of the kit was top notch quality, the welds were perfect, all the parts were there and everything was pretty straight forward. The last problem was getting the air cleaner to fit inside the front fascia, we had to bend the mounting bracket to get it to sit where we wanted it to so the front fascia would fit. I forgot to mention we had to move the radiator about a half inch to the left to make room for the heat wrap on the turbine, not a big deal but more time. Overall I am happy with the kit minus the few hiccups. It would be very easy to weld one of the up pipes or down pipes just a degree off, it's such a tight fit that you almost have to expect it. The car is a lot of fun to drive, when the turbo kicks in I have to RDP motorsports did not do the install.
Here is my one picture for now
Attached Images

jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
RSBAD454
Procharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to RSBAD454
Cool, I love turbos, but there is just too much plumbing for me.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
iUAE
3bood

Drives: Camaro 2010
NICE , haw many wrhp u got
iUAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
puertoricanfont

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
badass. Now post some videos
Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by iUAE View Post
NICE , haw many wrhp u got
Going off others dyno numbers between 480-520 I would guess, I need to get it tuned though. Shooting for 570whp
Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBAD454 View Post
Cool, I love turbos, but there is just too much plumbing for me.
I almost have to agree.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks awesome, post more pictures
Old 06-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
I finally got my car back from installing the turbonetics kit. I bought the Turbo kit from Steve at RDP motorsports. Steve was a really nice guy and exceeded my high expectations for sure. His pricing is unbeatable, turbonetics customer support was great also. I do however have to complain a bit about the fitment, taking into consideration this is an aftermarket kit you can't expect perfection but from start to finish there was about 40 hours of labor. Not the 12-15 as advertised, everything went good until the turbo went in, it was almost like the up pipe coming into the hot side of the turbo was about a half inch short, this caused the down pipe from the hot side to ride in really close to the pulleys, a lot of tweaking took place to get it so the down pipe didn't rub against the compressor. Then to get it where we wanted it, the cross member need to be notched out a bit so the pipe wouldn't rub. This wasn't a big deal but just took time, once that mess was done it was onto bending the sheet metal structure around the right headlamp so we could run the big hose boots to the BOV and intercooler. Instead of bending the structure out we cut out the entire piece and fabricated a new one in that went around the pipes. This was personal preference really, you could have bent it out with some pliers but we thought it would look amateur. The rest of the kit was top notch quality, the welds were perfect, all the parts were there and everything was pretty straight forward. The last problem was getting the air cleaner to fit inside the front fascia, we had to bend the mounting bracket to get it to sit where we wanted it to so the front fascia would fit. I forgot to mention we had to move the radiator about a half inch to the left to make room for the heat wrap on the turbine, not a big deal but more time. Overall I am happy with the kit minus the few hiccups. It would be very easy to weld one of the up pipes or down pipes just a degree off, it's such a tight fit that you almost have to expect it. The car is a lot of fun to drive, when the turbo kicks in I have to RDP motorsports did not do the install.
Here is my one picture for now

I'm taking my car to steve at RDP and having them install the kit and tune. he said I could hit 600+rwhp easy and still be safe. I'm having them throw in a booster pump and gauges, running about 8psi. I cant wait!!!
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
How much boost you putting down?

I got 573 HP @ 6.5 PSI on my Vortech. Would love to see you hit over 600 with your setup.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
How much boost you putting down?

I got 573 HP @ 6.5 PSI on my Vortech. Would love to see you hit over 600 with your setup.
I am running about 8 psi, haven't gone to the dyno yet but am hoping for 570-600+.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
I am running about 8 psi, haven't gone to the dyno yet but am hoping for 570-600+.
I was told by steve that at 8psi you should be right in the 600rwhp
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Congrats man. Under hood looks great.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
congrats. you will love it. turbos are a blast!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Very clean looking
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote