Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
jordan 572

Drives: none
Yea, by spring I hope to be at 650+whp. I know jamie has more power than me with the jre caps and jre posi mod and everyone knows he consistently runs 9.90-10.00s and his never breaks so I am hoping mine would hold. But damn I don't want to spend any more but its to stupid to have the diff out to install gears and bushings but not strengthen it especially with a decent amount of power and some drag radials.
jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #30
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
The Eaton Truetrac is supposedly stronger than the OEM posi-unit, that might be the best and only other option for you besides what has already been mentioned. That's what I'm doing. It cost about $550, but it's still cheaper than a 9" conversion!!! Strange engineering is testing a new rear end based on the Dana 60 that is supposed to be released next Spring/Summer. But knowing Strange, it won't be inexpensive!!!
Maybe all I need is the jre caps, lpw diff cover, gears and Eaton truetrac. I just want to be able to drive the car the way it was intended without the diff sounding.like a circular saw. Maybe my goals are set to high. I seen the Dana 60 and have to think that's going to be right in line with all the other rear kits price wise.
Tech AFX Heater Hose Relocation Kit, Black Chrome Wheels
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Complete ZL1 Rearend Swap
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #31
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS View Post
Maybe all I need is the jre caps, lpw diff cover, gears and Eaton truetrac. I just want to be able to drive the car the way it was intended without the diff sounding.like a circular saw. Maybe my goals are set to high. I seen the Dana 60 and have to think that's going to be right in line with all the other rear kits price wise.
Not saying its not impossible for you to break your diff, I know we all want (need) a 9'' but I don't see it justifiable for me as I plan to stop at 650 whp+. There are people that run the stock diff at my wanted numbers and even higher at the track all the time. I just rip around town so I think I should be alright , at 450whp I would think you could get away with just gears but then again I would at least get caps and a posi upgrade while your in there. Idk I hate these cars.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #32
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

I can't see doing the diff exchange because your talking about $2-2500 for that add axles and a drive shaft and your almost to the cost of a diff kit. I would like to find someone around town that's good at setting up gears, my diff was rebuilt by one of my brothers friend that we drag race with, he's a mechanic at the dealer that fixed the car and I only allowed him to drive/work on it. I guess I could see if he would put it together on the side but stI'll would have to find a shop to mill the caps.
Pfadt trailing and toe arms, Pfadt solid subframe mounts, Pfadt diff bushings, Street Slayer Twin Carbon
Technostalgia Camaro LED taillights, CTS-V Front Brakes, Powder Coated Calipers By ME
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #33
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 2010 2SS/RS View Post
I can't see doing the diff exchange because your talking about $2-2500 for that add axles and a drive shaft and your almost to the cost of a diff kit. I would like to find someone around town that's good at setting up gears, my diff was rebuilt by one of my brothers friend that we drag race with, he's a mechanic at the dealer that fixed the car and I only allowed him to drive/work on it. I guess I could see if he would put it together on the side but stI'll would have to find a shop to mill the caps.
Yea, if I do mine I will see how it all works out. I know my families place will be doing it but I will see how everything goes before I would dare recommend us.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #34
Stealth 2010 2SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
Yea, if I do mine I will see how it all works out. I know my families place will be doing it but I will see how everything goes before I would dare recommend us.
If you don't mind me asking but whats your shops name, or you can pm me if you would rather not say. Just trying to get ideas of places that are not going to charge an arm and a leg.
MGW Short Throw Shifter
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #35
denooo11
Dean Voss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to denooo11
Billet caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
The machining is usually done on what is called a "Bridgeport", and it is pretty much a standard machine shop requirement. Any good automotive repair or performance facility should have close ties to a competent machine shop that can easily accomplish this. Just give the caps to your installation place along with Ted's instructions and they will "Git R Done"!!! I am going through this right now, except I chose to take out the carrier (posi-unit) myself, and I have a machine shop at work that is going to machine the caps for me before I take everything to a rear end shop to be assembled. After looking at the difference between Ted's Billet Caps and the OEM pieces, I'm very glad I chose to get them. They are definitely built much sturdier than the stock caps.....wise investment.
Did the same thing. deno---
denooo11 is offline   Reply With Quote