Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
jordan 572

Drives: none
Unique cat situation

I have a ls3 with borla atak on it. I also have the turbonetics turbo kit, Ted is going to up the power in my car a bit. I was told to get rid of the cats before he tunes so I ordered JBA offroad pipes without the high flows as I have heard controversial things. Anyway I did this, to loud a raspy I am running the oe cats for the time being. I need to quiet it down but how? I don't feel comfortable running any cats as the turbo is driven after the cats, if they melt or malfunction I am scared I could throw a chunk through the turbine. I am going to gut the OEM cats and try that, to make them act like high flows. If this doesn't work I plan on adding some 18''x4'' resonators. I really hope that does the trick, any ideas would be great. Here is what It sounded like

jordan 572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
DZ302

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
You can run a muffler after the turbo's, just make sure they are of a straight through design. In other words you should be able to see right through them. I had the exact same problem with my truck. I ran the STS kit which mounts the turbo in place of the muffler. Ran for years with no mufflers and it was quiet. I started to worry about the cats puking and taking out my turbo, so I removed the cats and retuned. The exhaust got VERY raspy. Sounded like an open pipe Harley. I used a Borla race muffler and raspiness disappeared. With the straight through design you can still hear the turbo too. Magnaflow also makes a nice stainless straight through muffler.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ302 View Post
You can run a muffler after the turbo's, just make sure they are of a straight through design. In other words you should be able to see right through them. I had the exact same problem with my truck. I ran the STS kit which mounts the turbo in place of the muffler. Ran for years with no mufflers and it was quiet. I started to worry about the cats puking and taking out my turbo, so I removed the cats and retuned. The exhaust got VERY raspy. Sounded like an open pipe Harley. I used a Borla race muffler and raspiness disappeared. With the straight through design you can still hear the turbo too. Magnaflow also makes a nice stainless straight through muffler.
Sounds exactly like my deal, like a shitty harley too. Yea I would mount the resonators which are a straight through design between the turbo and the mufflers out back. So yes I would mount them after the turbo.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
its a known thing that Atak gets raspy with headers or cat work.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
its a known thing that Atak gets raspy with headers or cat work.
That I didn't know, you have any ideas?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan 572 View Post
That I didn't know, you have any ideas?
i would honestly sell the Atak muffler, and go with a bolra S-type or touring axle backs. its the nature of the Atak to become raspy. you will be able to sell it easily.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i would honestly sell the Atak muffler, and go with a bolra S-type or touring axle backs. its the nature of the Atak to become raspy. you will be able to sell it easily.
I was thinking of just cutting out the atak mufflers and buying some stingers to replace them?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
mikeSS

Quote:
I was thinking of just cutting out the atak mufflers and buying some stingers to replace them?
stingers work
Old 06-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
S type aka stingers have massive drone with either LT or no cats. Just a heads up.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
jordan 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
S type aka stingers have massive drone with either LT or no cats. Just a heads up.
Yea I wouldn't doubt it, I will have to see what I will do after today. Thanks everyone
Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Yea I wouldn't doubt it, I will have to see what I will do after today. Thanks everyone
Dynomax vt is a solid axleback for about 300$ and 0 drone...plus good deep sound with headers..lust a thought.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
concrete jungle
Hitman

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I love my PYPES "Bomb" exhaust and no drone and cost about $300.

Build your dream one day at a time . . . I did . . .
https://www.facebook.com/tonyrowe1966

*Caution ~ side effects may include soiled underwear if trajectory isn't kept straight...
concrete jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
TRIPWIRE
Chillin Like a Villain

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic Dusk Ed.
Quote:
i mean if you really wanted to cure it you could use the jba offroad pipes with the solo axleback im pretty sure it would cure it
TRIPWIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
jordan 572

I gutted the cats and it helped a lot vs running just the jba offroad pipes, these would be ideal with basically any setup except for atak