Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #197
zahidismaeel

Drives: Camaro 2010 V6 LT
Dear All
A good new for you i had the same problem and when i took my car to local GM dealer they checked and confrimed that they need to change full steering assembeling called " steering rack and pinion",
They ordered it and 3 days back i took my car and found the problem solved ,yahooooo much happy that they fix it ,
please visit your dealer and ask the same fix.

zahid ismail
Kuwait
zahidismaeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #198
HBMike

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green HBR
V6 Camaro Same Noise

Hey guys,

I've got the same issue with our Camaro over here at Hillbank. The sounds started after I lowered the car with my Eibach springs. From what I've determined based off wear it that the top retention washer/plate is actually shifting. The strut appears to be moving side to side and dropping down under bumps and turns.

We're more thank likely going to create a new retention plate to fix the noise here shortly.

I'll post any pictures we have if its fixed!

I drive this car everyday and its driving me crazy, so I'm pretty motivated to find a fix.
HBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #199
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
I have a popping/banging noise coming from the driver side front of my car when I hit a small bump while turning the wheel. Never when driving straight, only when turning.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #200
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I have a popping/banging noise coming from the driver side front of my car when I hit a small bump while turning the wheel. Never when driving straight, only when turning.
Yep, that's it!

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #201
kencarguy
kencarguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS- Inferno Orange w/Black
Good evening everyone- On the first birthday of my 2010 IOM Camaro 2LTRS, my dealer sent me an electronic birthday card. I am pretty friensdly with the Sales manager, so I replied, asking whether GM had come up with a "fix" for the front end noise in the year since I bought my car. The manager looked into ths question and sent me the GM notice below. It looks like it just came out last week so it is up to date.

I guess the real issue is whether it is considered "normal" nose, common to Camaros in general. I offered to bring the car in and let his techs go over it once again. I also cited what people on this thread are saying about replacing strut assemblies and torn/shifted strut pads.... I also noted that many people on this thread have said they have NO NOISE. I guess that makes my noise abnormal then doesn't it?

I will wait to see what response I get. I hope this helps you all!

Ken
Kencarguy@msn.com

This is the latest information he found...not sure if the noise you're hearing is going to be consider normal for the vehicle or not...

Service Information

Document ID: 2512852
#PI0197: Front Suspension Thump or Loose Lumber Noise - (Aug 4, 2010)

Subject:Front Suspension Thump or "Loose Lumber" Noise

Models:2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment about suspension noise coming from the front of the vehicle when driving at low/moderate speeds (16-40 km/h [10-25 mph]) over rough roadway surfaces (cracks, lightly broken surfaces). The sound has been described as a rattle, knocking, clunking or "loose lumber" noise. This sound should be of a relatively low volume and behave as a brief rumble or thud following impacts with rough roadways. The sound is non-metallic in nature and has a dull wooden character.
The "loose lumber" sound exists as a result of the basic component configuration and tuning that effect the ride, handling and steering of the vehicle.
Recommendation/Instructions

When a customer brings in a vehicle with front suspension noise, upon confirmation of the sound via a test drive, a brief inspection of the front suspension should be conducted (fastener torques, bushing/ball joint health). If no issues are found, the technician should confirm that the sound is/is not typical for the Camaro. (If needed, drive another Camaro and note the sound quality over small impacts.) If the sound is common in character with that of other Camaros, the customer should be informed that the vehicle is operating as intended and that the "loose lumber" sound is a normal suspension sound.
Warranty Information

If the noise is found to be a normal condition, please submit labor operation E9995 (Customer Concern Not Duplicated -- Tires, Wheels, Suspension and Steering); otherwise, utilize the labor operation for the repaired or replaced component.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Would you like us to reevaluate the concern?

Thanks,

Jason
kencarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #202
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
My car just started this. 4800 Miles. Does it when turning at slow speeds. I will let you know if I find any resolutions at the dealer. I will bring the above info when I go.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #203
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
I get the same popping noise going over bumps / potholes as well. Hopefully GM will have a fix soon. I have had the Pedder's coilovers on from day 1 and drove it for quite a while with no noise. Now it seems to be happening.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #204
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
I took my car in for the popping/snapping noise when turning. Showed them the TSB for the strut mounts, they ordered the parts and I took it in for repair today. They installed the new mounts, and it still made the noise, but only when the car was on the ground. He had my car apart and back together 3 times.

The tech said he was ordering a lower control arm for the drivers side as the passenger one was replaced after I hit the curb. After my car was repaired from the curb incident I had no noises coming from the car. They started about a month after the repairs were completed. I don't know if this will solve the problem or not, and I don't think the tech does either. All I know is I don't like the PT cruiser that they gave me for a loaner; good thing I still got my truck.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #205
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brunsy View Post
I took my car in for the popping/snapping noise when turning. Showed them the TSB for the strut mounts, they ordered the parts and I took it in for repair today. They installed the new mounts, and it still made the noise, but only when the car was on the ground. He had my car apart and back together 3 times.

The tech said he was ordering a lower control arm for the drivers side as the passenger one was replaced after I hit the curb. After my car was repaired from the curb incident I had no noises coming from the car. They started about a month after the repairs were completed. I don't know if this will solve the problem or not, and I don't think the tech does either. All I know is I don't like the PT cruiser that they gave me for a loaner; good thing I still got my truck.
That sucks about the noises - hopefully there will be some sort of fix soon - I wouldn't have driven the PT Cruiser either

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #206
Big Brunsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
That sucks about the noises - hopefully there will be some sort of fix soon - I wouldn't have driven the PT Cruiser either
tell me about it, the thing is a pile. It took me like 3 min to find the lights in the damned thing tonight. It should be standard on ALL vehicles to have automatic lights.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #207
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
mine does a wierd thump when going over speedbumps or holes. but it does it at random. any clue? maybe my struts? only does it with the front wheels i think.
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #208
Big Brunsy

Just got a call from the dealer, They found what was making the noise. It was a cracked knuckle....guy didn't really know how to explain exaclty where it was as he wasn't the guy doing the repair. They said it was from when I hit the curb, but who knows maybe other people who can't get it solved could check that too.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #209
Draak

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT-RS
It's sad that the official response for a customer's concern from GM about this rattling sound is; (and I'm paraphrasing).

'We built that noise into other Camaros, so it is a normal sound'.

Were this the case, why was my car wonderfully silent all the way from Tennessee to Florida when we drove it home from the dealer, then it started making noises after about 750 miles which it had not beforehand? Had the car made this sound at the time of delivery, I would have had the dealer put it up in the air and look for something loose in the front-end before making such a lengthy initial drive. And even were I to accept the statement that all Camaros make this rumbly-clunky noise from the moment they are rolled off of the delivery truck, the issue is this; actually, some do and some don't.

I'm sorry, but as a consumer whom has made a significant effort in order to acquire one of GM's finer designs, 'that's the way it is' seems to say that a front end which makes these sounds which are quite audible from within the passenger cabin, is a normal design and is ok with them. That's not a good position to hold, from the public's viewpoint.

Perhaps I am being punished for spending the extra money in order to have the 'Handling Package'...
Draak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #210
johnc847

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
I put mine in the shop for this. I took a shop guy on a ride on the freeway that runs in front of the dealer. There is a bump on the freeway that when I hit it it sounds like the front tire is going into the fender. He said thats not right when he was riding with me and I hit it. It also does it on speed bumps and small bumps in the road. They just called me and said its something with the rack and pinion. They told me they ordered the part and it will be in next wednesday and for safety reasons they advise me to stay in the rental car they provided me.
johnc847 is offline   Reply With Quote