Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
The the tune is a recalibration for the MAF because the airflow is different with the GM CAI. Chevy doesn’t advertise any power gain. There are threads where some people claim a small gain and some claim a small loss. I tried the white “race” filter at the track and didn’t notice any improvement over the standard blue filter.
Don't run the intake without the tune. It behaves super weirdly and, for me at least, lost me some power up top, I think.

The more frustrating part is how oddly the e-diff behaves when your MAF values are wrong. The e-diff lockup table must have MAF load or something as an input.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:14 PM   #16
bagelluvr

Drives: 2017 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Yes, there is a code that comes on the front page of the installation manual that the dealer should "charge" the tune to, this way they get paid from GM, it should cost you $0.00. You can install it yourself and the dealer should do the tune. I did this and the dealer had no problem with it. It is a GM part, sold by GM, it doesn't matter who bolts it on... It took me about 45 minutes going slowly and methodically to install it with a few simple hand tools...
Now that you have it installed and had the car tuned (re calibrated is probably more correct) is it worth the money for this mod? Seems like a lot of money for something I think is not going to give you to much of a HP gain or feel by the seat of your pants. I am curious what the outcome is and if you would recommend doing it to others! Thanks in advance.
bagelluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #17
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelluvr View Post
Seems like a lot of money for something I think is not going to give you too much of a HP gain or feel by the seat of your pants.
I think these are pretty generally understood to be mods for looks, sound, and impressing your friends... but not power.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #18
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelluvr View Post
Now that you have it installed and had the car tuned (re calibrated is probably more correct) is it worth the money for this mod? Seems like a lot of money for something I think is not going to give you to much of a HP gain or feel by the seat of your pants. I am curious what the outcome is and if you would recommend doing it to others! Thanks in advance.
The car only had about 50 miles on it when I installed the intake, so never got on it with the stock airbox... The identical intake from Cold Air Inductions (who makes this intake for GM) claims around an 11 WHP gain... I'm sure you get some additional power, just noting earth shattering... It does sound and look great...

https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...-intake-black/
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #19
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
My car came with the intake. Is there any way to confirm if the dealer did the flash when they installed the intake? It's a California car if that makes any difference.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #20
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If you bought it new with the optional CAI installed then the dealership would have added the tune!
Old 02-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #21
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I think these are pretty generally understood to be mods for looks, sound, and impressing your friends... but not power.
Someone dynoed it and it shows a 15~20 WHP/WTQ difference. Not a huge gain, but not nothing, either.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556150

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:41 PM   #22
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Someone dynoed it and it shows a 15~20 WHP/WTQ difference. Not a huge gain, but not nothing, either.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556150
I read that thread before and I just have a hard time with it, if it was true why doesn’t Chevy advertise it that way? 455 HP is great but 470 is better. The old cars had options like that and everyone would be ordering with car or as soon as they got one.
My SS came with it dealer installed and was on the window sticker as such.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #23
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintslinger16 View Post
I read that thread before and I just have a hard time with it, if it was true why doesn’t Chevy advertise it that way? 455 HP is great but 470 is better. The old cars had options like that and everyone would be ordering with car or as soon as they got one.

Your guess is as good as mine, especially considering that it is CARB-compliant so it's road legal everywhere in the States and Canada.

Past:
Old 02-27-2021, 07:33 AM   #24
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:

NFW
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:23 PM   #25
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
I read that thread before and I just have a hard time with it...
There is a post there implying some CAI's came with turning vanes while others did not. That alone will affect laminar flow and impact the MAF reading. Turning vanes are generally a good idea and reduce turbulence in ductwork.
The OP in that thread is right in thinking the slightly leaner mixture alone could account for the HP increase.

I read a while back that manufacturers typically spend $10-20K designing the intake duct work and calibrating the system on a flow bench. The question is "why bother?" if an L-shaped tube and a cone filter is better (and possibly cheaper).
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #26
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
There is a post there implying some CAI's came with turning vanes while others did not. That alone will affect laminar flow and impact the MAF reading. Turning vanes are generally a good idea and reduce turbulence in ductwork.
The OP in that thread is right in thinking the slightly leaner mixture alone could account for the HP increase.
Wasn’t that part just implemented to cancel out the intake whistle? Mine has one and its position is downstream of the MAF, so no effect on that reading.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #27
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
you do not need the tune, it is for California emissions.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:14 PM   #28
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
you do not need the tune, it is for California emissions.
Been already debunked above. It's for MAF recalibration. I recall someone even publishing the exact MAF recalibration table on this forum.

If you must know how it meets CARB, the manual for mine states that the tube that houses the MAF has a special layer on the inside that absorbs hydrocarbon particles. That is the trick, not the tune.

Past: