Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-21-2020, 09:02 PM   #29
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
With all the complicated nuances of properly tuning this platform I'm amazed how many still rely on email tuners. Nothing will ever beat a real time dyno and road tune where the tuner can hear and feel your cars quirks first hand.

I beat real time dyno tuning in a straight line literally 90% of the time with remote tuning. AKA (email) actual real world driving logging of the car. There is a Far cry between canned email tunes VS custom remote tuning.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:49 PM   #30
Keandre8

Drives: Summit White 2018 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I beat real time dyno tuning in a straight line literally 90% of the time with remote tuning. AKA (email) actual real world driving logging of the car. There is a Far cry between canned email tunes VS custom remote tuning.
Yes, after having a actual "canned" tune and custom tunes the difference is astonishing and even with trifectas....style of tuning it was still miles ahead of what their canned tune was. BNR has given me almost the performance of trifectas e85 tune on 93(Ill give trifecta the benefit of the doubt because they dont have many e85 2.0s coming in but at the same time they said they supported it and while they technically did, there was also some very alarming issues i ran into with them and i felt my car was used as a shop car in a way). Im very interested to see how their e85 tune is
Keandre8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:16 PM   #31
BlacknRed1990

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0t A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keandre8 View Post
Yes, after having a actual "canned" tune and custom tunes the difference is astonishing and even with trifectas....style of tuning it was still miles ahead of what their canned tune was. BNR has given me almost the performance of trifectas e85 tune on 93(Ill give trifecta the benefit of the doubt because they dont have many e85 2.0s coming in but at the same time they said they supported it and while they technically did, there was also some very alarming issues i ran into with them and i felt my car was used as a shop car in a way). Im very interested to see how their e85 tune is
Stay tuned to this thread then as I do plan on getting their flex fuel tune in late May/early June. Btw glad to see someone else around here with a BNR tune, in my initial research into BNR I couldn't find much here about them. 99% of their reviews are on Facebook.
Current mods: GM performance catback exhaust - JMS PEDALMAX throttle controller - K&N Drop In Air Filter - ZZP Intake Tube - ZZP catted downpipe - ZZP Larger (67mm) throttle body - BNR recirculator valve - Mishimoto intercooler pipes - Mishimoto intercooler - PTP turbo blanket - ZZP flex fuel kit - ZZP big wheel turbo - RX billet stall converter

Flex fuel tuned by ZZP

Tires: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40/20
Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II RunonFlat 245/50/18
BlacknRed1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:06 AM   #32
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Yes but you understand the platform and issues better then most companies ever will. Places like ZZP, BNR and Trifecta seem to use peoples cars as guinea pigs for ideas or under tune for their own gain sometimes, and even when doing so cause an issue to damage the car shortly after.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #33
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Answer me this. Its the old debate on dyno tune vs road tune. It seems to me that there's the rub. If the shops who should have a dyno proven, (by now years of) tunes wouldn't they be ale to develop a "safe" good tune after all this time to replicate to sell as a canned tune? (my feeling is zzp has it close enough, no complaints here, and I feel like they Don't do experiments on customer's cars....lol).

Having looked at at least one canned tune and taking it from there on my own, there isn't a hell of a lot of "improvements" to gain from what all the tuners should know. At the end of the day all you need to do to get a thrill is increase the torque tables, bump up cooling, and couple of things that escape me at the moment, oh yeah, my email tune came with a cam tweak too.

The other stuff I've looked at on my own is throttle response, cam timing, turbo pr, break torque, and a bunch of other things, with my own mods. But there isn't a hell of a lot to break on 93 tune. that said I would love to take a look the other shops tunes to compare to mine.

I've always thought that the group of users who are on here would be able to develop a good "user community" tune. not everyone has access to a LTG shop. I mean they are selling tunes for $125. The cost is in the delivery system you have to use. I just don't get that there is some kind of magic that has to happen to get a solid remote/road tune in there on a FBO car. What you miss out on are some procedure stuff to finely dial in the air flow, but a trained eye can tweak it w/o too much issue. is exactly what I did with my remote, and it went flawlessly in 2 days done.

someone send me a bnr tune file, I would love to take a look?

Hah- checking my own write log, I've personally done 288 write files to my car so far..... That Might be another world first.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:35 AM   #34
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I just don't get that there is some kind of magic that has to happen to get a solid remote/road tune in there on a FBO car. What you miss out on are some procedure stuff to finely dial in the air flow, but a trained eye can tweak it w/o too much issue. is exactly what I did with my remote, and it went flawlessly in 2 days done.
That exact type of thinking is why the FB pages are FULL of cracked ring lands.. I've said it before, and will again. No two cars should EVER have the same tune. These cars just don't work that way. You have wrote your car 288 times, yet also dialed it in flawlessly in 2 days? To say there isn't a hell of a lot of "improvements" to be had over bumping the torque tables, is a gross injustice.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #35
wookwook

Well that's a buzz kill. I don't think it was that confusing. Zzp turned around my email file exchange just fine. Then. I continued my own tuning. That's all I said. As always i say I also assume responsibility for my opinions and what I post and always do. Also your comment presumes someone but not me knows the source of the metal fatique causing land fails. But In the same token claims of 500 streetable hp. I don't think anything I wrote I'm my entire time line is as contradictory as your position above.
cooper I have to say I am a little disappointed.

That said we are talking about a basic beginner torque table bump. Not E, not turbo,not nitrous, etc. Ppl getting away ahead of them selves in a hurry.

Road tuning is a personal hobby and I enjoy learning and sharing my results that are honest and I post for others to comment but if I'm getting bashed for my own journey I have better things to do.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 04-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #36
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Lemme just call the wambulance Bill hurt someone's feelings that just can't happen in this snowflake day and age.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 04-22-2020, 06:19 PM   #37
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
wambulance Lol...
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #38
wookwook

this community is so broken i won't even comment.

i have to make a correction 150 logs and 96 tune files. I do a lot of actual actual designed experiments which requires a group of small changes. not just wandering around and using intuition. the math will show which combination of settings makes the best result, i.e. hp. I think i proved that it works for me.

its a system i learned in grad school. its my thing and its ok if ppl don't care even have a spark of interest. which is par for the course. but being actually accused of something like causing engine failures on FB is a tough pill to swallow.

fwiw i think the source of the land fails is in the manufacturing. maybe those pistons are like the first run of the day and the mold isn't up to heat. maybe its a problem with the chemistry. no one knows why the lands fail. there are a lot of good theories and protection strategies, but no one knows exactly WHY. OH holy shit, that's what a manufacturing engineer DOES. Its the kind of stuff i used to do in a previous lifetime. figure this stuff out.

So with a lack of Quality Engineering with the pistons, so its a choice. We know there is a risk. do you let it spoil your day, or live with it. just like whats going on now with the pandemic. its a choice. most (mature responsible) ppl who are tuning (or going outside), accept the risk. its your OWN choice to do it. YOU are responsible for that choice.

If that didn't put you to sleep then maybe there's hope. I don't care how ppl respond, its a reflection on you. not me.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 04-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #39
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

You weren't around for the wild west days of this platform to understand what some of us had to witness and try to prevent from happening when people were making bad decisions like those that get an RPM Tune or thought let's use a base tune from the shop car and expect the other cars to run the same.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #40
wookwook

I get it. But on the other hand. I'm a fast study. I never meant to imply you can copy and paste a one size fits all. Actually if you read back a few, I specifically said, get shop to follow up.... a few times... and in multiple threads. I must have ruffled some feathers. I was talking about this very issue. get ur fine tunes with the pkg. get an agreement up front that it will happen. If they don't or can't then that's on them.

I did imply it would be interesting to get a few ppl on to look at it as a group, like enthusiast style tuning. but I understand that would be hurtful to shops who are in the business. so I wont say that again. that's what hp tuners forum is for.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 04-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #41
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
He's never seen Chicago Tommy... Lol
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #42
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
He's never seen Chicago Tommy... Lol
Lol I miss those days.... if he thinks it's broken now he really has no idea.