Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
302Blue

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 1LE
Would it be possible to swap the 3.73 diff into a V6 1LE?

I can't seem to find any documentation online to compare part numbers, so I am curious if anyone thinks it is possible to take the 3.73 rear end and put it in a V6 1LE?

I'm basing this thought off 2 things:

1) The V6 1LE already grabs the 3.27 rear end from the SS w/ the V6 1LE package. If the SS can upgrade to the 3.73 in their SS 1LE package, maybe there's some kind of A=B=C scenario?
2) There's the thread where the guy upgraded his normal V6 A8 rear end up to the 3.73 with what seemed like a straight-forward process (except the HPTuner issues). If it can bolt straight up to regular A8, would it also bolt up to the M6 that comes on the V6 1LE?

I realize there would obviously have to be tuning and redone mappings for ABS and traction issues, I'm just curious if this would actually be mechanically possible.

Last edited by 302Blue; 07-18-2018 at 11:26 AM.
302Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
mechanically yes. you number 1 answered it really. I swapped from the v6 2.77 open non LSD to the SS 2.77 LSD. mounting is the same for all the diffs so far. and the axles are interchangeable as well. the old v6 non LSD diff can fit the SS axles, which you should have already (driver side big, pass side small). check the last page of my member journal in the members journal forum.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
302Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
mechanically yes. you number 1 answered it really. I swapped from the v6 2.77 open non LSD to the SS 2.77 LSD. mounting is the same for all the diffs so far. and the axles are interchangeable as well. the old v6 non LSD diff can fit the SS axles, which you should have already (driver side big, pass side small). check the last page of my member journal in the members journal forum.
So with the SS axles and the SS pinion flange it should be just a simple swap. Which the 1LE should have both. Do you mind me asking why you went to the 2.77 LSD and didn't switch up to the 3.27 or 3.73?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302Blue View Post
So with the SS axles and the SS pinion flange it should be just a simple swap. Which the 1LE should have both. Do you mind me asking why you went to the 2.77 LSD and didn't switch up to the 3.27 or 3.73?
no need to change the gear ratios in a tune. swapping to a 2.77 LSD gives the same ratio as the v6 stock 2.77, but has an LSD. im a track guy more than show. I just wanted the LSD to be honest (sounds weird typing that)

if you change ratios from X to Y (2.77 to 3.XX or similar) then you have to adjust for it in a tune. the computer controlled aspects will account only for whatever came stock. stuff that monitors/controls ABS, launch control for those that have it, traction control-acceptable slip with wheel speed, etc.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 07-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
302Blue

Quote:
no need to change the gear ratios in a tune. swapping to a 2.77 LSD gives the same ratio as the v6 stock 2.77, but has an LSD. im a track guy more than show. I just wanted the LSD to be honest (sounds weird typing that)

if you change ratios from X to Y (2.77 to 3.XX or similar) then you have to adjust for it in a tune. the computer controlled aspects will account only for whatever came stock. stuff that monitors/controls ABS, launch control for those that have it, traction control-acceptable slip with wheel speed, etc.

Hmm, so way easier if you just need/want the limited slip. Don't all 6th gens have the "Competitive Mode" launch control too? Same as everyone having No Lift Shift I thought.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The SS 1LE dont option the 3.73 rear, it comes standard with the 1LE package. If you are going to use a 3.73 rear make sure it is a regular SS 3.73 diff, dont get the 1LE rear diff as you wont have a way to control the eLSD in order to make the lock up in the diff work.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
302Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The SS 1LE dont option the 3.73 rear, it comes standard with the 1LE package. If you are going to use a 3.73 rear make sure it is a regular SS 3.73 diff, dont get the 1LE rear diff as you wont have a way to control the eLSD in order to make the lock up in the diff work.

Yup I was talking about my car being the V6 1LE, not referring to the SS 1LE rear diff, just the regular 3.73. Apologise if there was any confusion.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #8
dpelow07

Drives: ats
should bolt right in. i have one that im not going to use ill sell it for what i paid.
dpelow07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
302Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelow07 View Post
should bolt right in. i have one that im not going to use ill sell it for what i paid.
Unfortunately, mine is still on a lease, so I wouldn't be purchasing until at least that is up. Thank you for the offer though. Best of luck finding a buyer.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Hmm, so way easier if you just need/want the limited slip. Don't all 6th gens have the "Competitive Mode" launch control too? Same as everyone having No Lift Shift I thought.
Not all have it. You may have it as a v6 due to the 1le package. Mine just has sport, track, and snow/ice

Old 07-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
302Blue

Quote:
Not all have it. You may have it as a v6 due to the 1le package. Mine just has sport, track, and snow/ice
So Polynesian what happens when you put it in sport/track, hit the traction button twice, and then peg the throttle? Does it not switch over to "Competitve Stabilitrak" and hold the throttle at a specific RPM for launch control?
Old 07-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #12
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
So Polynesian what happens when you put it in sport/track, hit the traction button twice, and then peg the throttle? Does it not switch over to "Competitve Stabilitrak" and hold the throttle at a specific RPM for launch control?
Nah no mode changes...

Hit the button once, you get one orange light stabilitrak or traction.

Hold it down for the second push and both stabilitrak and traction light up.

Doesnt state any mode, although ypu having a manual may be a factor, but also the 1le package has different modes than reg autos.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #13
302Blue

Quote:
Nah no mode changes...

Hit the button once, you get one orange light stabilitrak or traction.

Hold it down for the second push and both stabilitrak and traction light up.

Doesnt state any mode, although ypu having a manual may be a factor, but also the 1le package has different modes than reg autos.
Yeah I guess I just don't understand why if you have the track mode it wouldn't let you do all three of the tractions modes (1 Click for Traction Off, 2 Click for Traction Off and Stabilitrak Competitive, and 1 Click+1 Hold for Traction Off and Stabilitrak Off). Why limit to the first & last option when the second one is kind of the in-between?
Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #14
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Yeah I guess I just don't understand why if you have the track mode it wouldn't let you do all three of the tractions modes (1 Click for Traction Off, 2 Click for Traction Off and Stabilitrak Competitive, and 1 Click+1 Hold for Traction Off and Stabilitrak Off). Why limit to the first & last option when the second one is kind of the in-between?
not sure. I know I don't have track mode. that's more for the 1le models.

Tags
3.73, differential, final drive ratio, swap, v6 1le