Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Tensioner going south? Bad belt? PLUS SLOW START!

Hey guys, new noise today from the camaro. 2016, 2SS, M6, 18k Miles, BONE STOCK. I’d appreciate some opinions, looks like it’s gonna be another trip to the dealer lol. Was just there today for warranty work on the drivers side window (window came out of the tracks.)

Give it a listen por favor:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fT6ZqGb_63I

*Posted in general for rapid responses*

Last edited by soloknight6; 04-11-2018 at 07:06 PM.
soloknight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
It does sound like a bearing noise but it could be anything spinning with the front belt. It might help to have somebody rev up the engine while you listen in front. You might be able to narrow it down with a stethoscope but it will be hard to reach in without touching a moving part.

This seems like a trip to the dealer for warranty work so maybe not worth the time to troubleshoot? Just take it in and let them fix it.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
It does sound like a bearing noise but it could be anything spinning with the front belt. It might help to have somebody rev up the engine while you listen in front. You might be able to narrow it down with a stethoscope but it will be hard to reach in without touching a moving part.

This seems like a trip to the dealer for warranty work so maybe not worth the time to troubleshoot? Just take it in and let them fix it.
yea, i agree. shes going back in tomorrow. Ill update the thread with their findings. Its funny because the problem is intermittent.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

UPDATE

So, of course the car would not make the noise while it was with the dealership (she has a mind of her own.)

But based on the video I showed the service dept, they said it sounded like a belt had gotten wet (car wash) or it was the hydraulic tensioner leaking hydraulic fluid onto the belt. They had seen a few tensioners go south on both Camaro’s and corvettes. My tensioner appears fine, but I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Here is the part:

https://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/oem...bC12OC1nYXM%3D

If you hear a squeak like mine, pop the hood, and follow the serpentine belt south till you get to the part linked above. Wipe it with your finger, if it’s sweating it needs to be replaced!

I was able to demonstrate the slow start issue, and a customer came walking out of the service lounge pointing at my car shouting “yes!” His SS does the same thing (16’ A8)

They kept the car overnight and ran some heat cycles. Speaking with the tech directly, he told me while they were able to duplicate the SLOW START, never did the car “fail to start.”

However, if in the future it does fail to start. They said they would replace the starter and look into the HEAT SOAK. Yes, that’s right, it’s a heat soaked starter guys... wiring harness good, grounds are good, battery tested beautifully. It’s the starter.

The IMPRESSION I got from them was it’s an engineering flaw, and I agree. Little starter right under some HOT exhaust. Those who have never experienced the slow start congrats. I’ll trade you cars.

P.s. while I have been vocally against dealerships, and believe firmly that no one will take better care of your car than yourself, I had a fantastic experience with Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet in San Diego. Lots of Zl1s & Zo6s on the lot (in my mind that means good technicians )

Time to wrap up my starter motor!
Old 06-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Just FYI i had the same sound and slow start and my tensioner was covered in fluid. Dealer said it went bad and it's being replaced under warranty today.

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #6
Daves1SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
So, of course the car would not make the noise while it was with the dealership (she has a mind of her own.)

But based on the video I showed the service dept, they said it sounded like a belt had gotten wet (car wash) or it was the hydraulic tensioner leaking hydraulic fluid onto the belt. They had seen a few tensioners go south on both Camaro’s and corvettes. My tensioner appears fine, but I’ll be keeping an eye on it. Here is the part:

https://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/oem...bC12OC1nYXM%3D

If you hear a squeak like mine, pop the hood, and follow the serpentine belt south till you get to the part linked above. Wipe it with your finger, if it’s sweating it needs to be replaced!
I’ve started noticing belt squeal at WOT only in the upper RPM’s.
Car has 31k miles on it and the Edelbrock system has been on since 7k Miles.
Belts all look great, but factory tensioner while not wet sure is grimy and mucky as hell. You guys think it would be the most logical first step to replace that?
Only $58. Thank you for the link btw!

Previous:
'12 Mustang GT 6MT (12.47 @ 115.88)
'09 G8 GT (11.86 @ 120.47)
'05 GTO 6MT (slow, lol)
'01 Grand Prix GTP converted to turbo, high 11's
Daves1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
what ever happen with this?
Old 08-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Hey Krops, in my case the intermittent squeal was coming from the harmonic balancer/crank pulley.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
intesresting i believe i have the same thing but was going to replace the belts this weekend did you replace it and the belts ?
Old 08-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

No, Im still running the factory belts, probably time to change them soon.