Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Daily Commuting Camaro Protection

Hey community,

I plan on taking my camaro to a car spa soon to get a good paint correction for some swirls and light scratches on the car to get it looking fresh (bought it used and it needed it).

I plan on commuting in this car and putting a good amount of miles on it (~10-12k/year with 80% being highway).

Ultimately, I want to put a little extra protection on the car knowing it will see the highway a good bit. So i'm thinking protection against small rocks, bugs, etc will be something to prepare for. I've been debating between ceramic coatings or a clear bra on the front, but wanted some opinions.

My goal is to simply minimize the wear and tear, not completely eliminate it. I will drive this car so much I know it will need continuous love for touch ups.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
You can do both ceramic coating and clear bra, it's just expensive. In reality they do different things.

At a high level Ceramic coating protects the paint from bird droppings, dust\dirt and such making them much easier to remove without hurting the paint. While clear bra protects against bugs\rocks\flying debris type scenarios.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Minimum I'd clear bra the front bumper and mirrors. I've driven mine daily for about 1 1/2 years and those seem to be the two spots that have been hit the most, along with where the windshield meets the roof (bug paradise).
Dagstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
The clear bra/Paint protection film is the way to go for sure. The Ceramic will help with keeping it clean week in and week out (less wash/detail maintenance), but it's not going to help protect the car in any tangible way.

The PPF will do wonders.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Ppf the front of the car for sure , it’s so wide and square that bugs and rocks love it.
In front of the rear wheels there’s a small piece of factory ppf, either replace it with a bigger piece or side skirts will help.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagstar View Post
Minimum I'd clear bra the front bumper and mirrors. I've driven mine daily for about 1 1/2 years and those seem to be the two spots that have been hit the most, along with where the windshield meets the roof (bug paradise).
+1 I also recommend you install clear bra on the rear of the rocker panels going up to the quarter panel as this area gets blasted with rock chips.
Attached Images

Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I drive mine similarly and I don't have problems besides the expected ding here and there. Following too closely will be your number 1 culprit. There's a lot of expense there to what's being recommended here, I mean thousands of dollars in PPF. If I gave you one for sure thing is splash guards on the front and then PPF in the spot highlighted on the car by azerlazer26.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
If I gave you one for sure thing is splash guards on the front and then PPF in the spot highlighted on the car by azerlazer26.

I was told that I'd want splash guards when I first bought the car and though, "no way!". .....I put 'em on the front only last week, lol!!! Yeah, they certainly hep! ....and I'd just put PPF on the front. I suppose everyone will have opinions on that, but that's my 2 cents. If you drive cars, they're gonna get chips. Do your due diligence, protect the main spots and call it a day.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Do the front bumper for sure and the leading edge of the hood. My 2 year old truck looks like someone shot the front of it with bird shot.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
In my opinion, stay away from other drivers. Don't tailgate, and keep at least 5 car lengths between you and trucks and jeeps. Only a handful of rock chips on my front end in 36000 miles driving this way, on crappy California roads too. No PPF on my car, and shes my daily. Also, for the sides, get some zl1 addons rock guards, they work.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #11
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
In my opinion, stay away from other drivers. Don't tailgate, and keep at least 5 car lengths between you and trucks and jeeps. Only a handful of rock chips on my front end in 36000 miles driving this way, on crappy California roads too. No PPF on my car, and shes my daily. Also, for the sides, get some zl1 addons rock guards, they work.
At least 5 car lengths back? Good luck with that in So. Cal traffic. lol!

If you're gonna be driving on the freeways, a clear bra on the front bumper and half the hood is a must at a minimum.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
At least 5 car lengths back? Good luck with that in So. Cal traffic. lol!

If you're gonna be driving on the freeways, a clear bra on the front bumper and half the hood is a must at a minimum.
I do it everyday. Been working for me for 3 years. Driving in San Diego to Los Angeles. Again, clear bra not necessary in my experience.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #13
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
I do it everyday. Been working for me for 3 years. Driving in San Diego to Los Angeles. Again, clear bra not necessary in my experience.
Unless you have a flame thrower mounted to the front of the car, I don't see how that is possible especially on the freeways around here. Every time I tried to do that, I get people constantly cutting into the space that I allow in front. If you go slower to maintain that distance, you will get the road ragers riding your a$$ and people cutting you off in anger.

Nope, what works best for me is never taking the freeways. I usually take the city streets and my front end still looks like new. This of course, is to be expected because the velocities are lower for debris hitting the front end and you can actually maintain a following distance up ahead.

However, if you have to commute a long distance every day, taking city streets may not be practical. Luckily for me, my commute is short so I can do the city street driving thing.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Another vote for PPF. Assuming the existing paint is in great to excellent condition, make arrangements to have PPF installed ASAP. You'll thank yourself later, especially if you intend to keep the vehicle long term.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote