Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-21-2023, 11:08 AM   #1
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Getting the itch to sell....

The car is awesome. All I can really complain about is a pretty stiff ride, and single-digit MPGs, but I guess that's to be expected with all the mods, LOL. Of course, I have to insure it, but even that isn't too bad.

However, living in OH, I really don't drive it much. It's in the garage all winter, and even in the summer, I just don't drive it was much as I used to. It's a 2012 2SS with about 10K miles. Blower, cam, gears, wheels, exhaust, CAI, 93 tune and other good stuff. Putting down 600 rhwp.

I'm tempted to try to sell it, but not sure it's worth it. Carvana came back with an offer for $21K, which seems somewhat reasonable, all things considered. I know selling privately would get me more $$, but even then, not sure I'd want to let her go. I looked through Cars and Bids, and I think *maybe* I could get around $30K.

The thing is, I really don't need the money. Having an extra 20 or 30 grand would make no practical difference in my life right now. OTOH, I kinda feel like it's a waste to keep the Camaro because it's such a garage queen.

Anyone else face a similar situation? I know everyone says mods won't increase the car's value, but damn, when I bought her for nearly $40K, and put at least $20K in upgrades into her, it just feels so wrong to let her go for next to nothing BTW, Vrooom, offered $15K....LOL. My local dealer wants to see it, but I'm guessing they'd come back with an offer around 20, maybe less.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #2
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I have no desire or thought to sell mine, that said if you decide to sell it’s worth a lot more than 15-20K. I wouldn’t even consider anything less than 30K, and I’d be shooting for 40K with the mileage and mods. I don’t drive mine much at all, it’s a 2010 with 4K miles but I do know that when I drive it, the smiles are worth all costs associated with a car that sits most of the year. Once they are gone they are gone, when they sit in the garage they are still there there waiting for a play date.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Once they are gone they are gone, when they sit in the garage they are still there there waiting for a play date.
Yes! That's exactly how I feel about my 2015 vert. I drive my 2013 daily and every time I walk out in the garage to get in it, I see the 2015 sitting beside it, whispering to me, "Hey, dude. Weekend's almost here. Take me. Taaaake meeeee..." (Yeah, my cars call me "dude".)
Old 05-21-2023, 11:57 AM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im thinking you will either have sellers regrets or dump a whole lot more money into the next project later on.you know your car and how it runs,and what youve done to it.id keep it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danial View Post
Yes! That's exactly how I feel about my 2015 vert. I drive my 2013 daily and every time I walk out in the garage to get in it, I see the 2015 sitting beside it, whispering to me, "Hey, dude. Weekend's almost here. Take me. Taaaake meeeee..." (Yeah, my cars call me "dude".)

Yeah, I hear you guys on this. When I'm not driving it, it's easy to be like, meh, I should just sell her, but once I get in and fire it up, and it starts shaking from the cam, it's all smiles

Old 05-21-2023, 01:03 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Yeah, I hear you guys on this. When I'm not driving it, it's easy to be like, meh, I should just sell her, but once I get in and fire it up, and it starts shaking from the cam, it's all smiles
Keep it!!! That way you'll always know if you need some "therapy", she's there for ya!!
Old 05-21-2023, 02:15 PM   #7
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
If its bought and paid for, in this day and age of craziness, I’d hang on to it. Not for the financial end of it but, more the “don’t want sellers remorse” kind of thing. My $.02.
Old 05-21-2023, 03:47 PM   #8
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Almost exactly 40 years ago I was in the same situation as you, I was getting married and I had a 70 GTO convertible with a built 400 making 600+ on nitrous, that I didn't think was practical anymore. My soon to be wife tried talking me in to putting it in storage but I foolishly sold it. It took me about two years before the regret set in. I have been searching for that car ever since.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:37 PM   #9
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
this is my situation as well...its not about money, but mine sits for a LONG time...but when I do drive it, its worth keeping it! I try to drive all summer up here in MI....but the rain soemtimes has other ideas!
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:07 PM   #10
E.T.

Thanks, guys! These responses are pretty much what I expected. Now, if someone came along and offered me $50K, I'd have to think hard about it, but for now, I might as well keep it an enjoy it.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:11 AM   #11
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Thanks, guys! These responses are pretty much what I expected. Now, if someone came along and offered me $50K, I'd have to think hard about it, but for now, I might as well keep it an enjoy it.
AMEN brother!! Enjoy what you have "made your own"...
Old 05-23-2023, 07:38 AM   #12
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Back in the day, the more mods I put into a car the less, I found I wanted to drive it. Many of these mods made the car less drivable. I broke that chain years ago. I now have my toy cars left stock, and I enjoy them at will. Plus I cant loose my shirt on all the money I spent on mods that the next guy wont pay for.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:44 PM   #13
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I can sympathize with your situation. While I don't have 10k on my car, sitting pretty at 58k, I have been in the 50k miles range for a few years now. After my kids were born, my car show attendance dwindled, I moved from where I attended cars shows regularly, lost my normal group of people I cruised with, not to mention that whole pesky lockdown Covid junk. Winters looking at my Camaro in the garage make me wonder if I should sell for the financial benefit of the family, knowing one day I could buy another one. However, like you, I have invested way more into the car than I will ever get out AND I finally have the car about where I think she's perfect. I've told my wife that if someone came and offered me $100k I'd have a hard time saying no, but the likelihood of that ever happening is basically zero, so I guess I'll just have to hold onto it. Oh shucks!

I say all of that to say this, you're not likely to find another low mile car like yours that you know how it's been treated, especially with the mods you have. Unless you have another project you want to use the money for, I'd just keep it if I were you so that you can still have some throttle therapy and enjoy your sweet sweet ride!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:04 PM   #14
DavidH

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm in Ohio as well and just had a thread on the same subject earlier this month. I turned down the offer I had but a big part of me still wants to move on and try something different. Been thinking about lots of other options or maybe even an older 90s JDM car(where I started).

It really is a hard spot to be in when you mentally start considering selling. Some days you wish it was gone and the hassle wasn't there, other days you drive it and it's your best friend.

Whatever you choose hopefully it works for you!
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote