Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2023, 12:54 PM   #1
Rob GTO

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Issue with DIC display

Does anyone else have an issue like mine? Can this be fixed or a new cluster needs to be programmed and installed?
Attached Images

Rob GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 01:23 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im not seeing what the issue is.is it stuck like that,or what? at one time i thought the light was out in my HUD but like a dumbass i had turned it all the way down while cleaning the dash...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:14 PM   #3
Rob GTO

It shows these tiny cracks and finish and if you look at the left side the blue is spilling over
Old 05-23-2023, 07:41 AM   #4
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Never seen that type of issue before. I guess though the displays can go bad. I would think your only recourse would be to have the cluster replaced.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:40 AM   #5
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
If I remember right, those displays just pop out with one connection after you disassemble the actual cluster. Kind of a pain, but it's doable. You can find a used cluster and swap it out. I might even have a spare still sitting around. Save some money as far as not having to pay to have a new one programmed.
Coz3z3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:57 PM   #6
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
That looks like display rot, happens with old lcd displays over time, not really a viable way to fix it, best option is to get a new one or if doesn't bother you too much just keep using it until it gets bad enough that you can't see anything and swap it then.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:23 PM   #7
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob GTO View Post
Does anyone else have an issue like mine? Can this be fixed or a new cluster needs to be programmed and installed?

What year Camaro is this? I have almost about 94K on my 2010 and do not have this issue. Does your Camaro sit outside in the sun or is it garaged? I have not seen anything like this before. Also something to think about, do you detail your dash and cluster or do you just wipe it with a dry cloth? I'm wondering if some detailing components got behind it and caused that to happen?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:48 AM   #8
Rob GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
If I remember right, those displays just pop out with one connection after you disassemble the actual cluster. Kind of a pain, but it's doable. You can find a used cluster and swap it out. I might even have a spare still sitting around. Save some money as far as not having to pay to have a new one programmed.
So the million dollar question is, if it is removable fairly easy, do you think the 2014+ LED dic would plug in? That would be ideal
Old 08-23-2023, 10:49 AM   #9
Rob GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
What year Camaro is this? I have almost about 94K on my 2010 and do not have this issue. Does your Camaro sit outside in the sun or is it garaged? I have not seen anything like this before. Also something to think about, do you detail your dash and cluster or do you just wipe it with a dry cloth? I'm wondering if some detailing components got behind it and caused that to happen?
2013, I am the second owner, I bought it like this, car is originally form Dayton Beach area
Old 12-18-2023, 07:37 AM   #10
Guro305

Drives: 2010 LS Victory Red
I know this post is a few months old, but my display is in worse shape than that. I have a buddy at the salvage yard that has an instrument cluster off of a SS that has almost as many miles on it as my car and he says it's tip-top.

Can I just swap it out with the one off of a SS? My can is a V6 btw. I do have a Hypertech Programmer so I should be able to use that to re-calibrate the speedometer right? Also to add to the previous question, I do live in South Florida but my car lives in the garage all year round. Any help is appreciated.

-Fifthgen Chevy Camaro Victory Red-
-C4 Chevy Corvette White-
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 07:54 AM   #11
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
It should fit, and you don't need to re-calibrate it for a display swap
Old 12-18-2023, 04:55 PM   #12
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob GTO View Post
So the million dollar question is, if it is removable fairly easy, do you think the 2014+ LED dic would plug in? That would be ideal
No it's not. The connections are different. That's why I pulled it apart. I had both and thought the same. I'm sure you could really dive deep in there and cut and splice. But I just wanted to see if it was plug and play
Old 12-18-2023, 04:57 PM   #13
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guro305 View Post
I know this post is a few months old, but my display is in worse shape than that. I have a buddy at the salvage yard that has an instrument cluster off of a SS that has almost as many miles on it as my car and he says it's tip-top.

Can I just swap it out with the one off of a SS? My can is a V6 btw. I do have a Hypertech Programmer so I should be able to use that to re-calibrate the speedometer right? Also to add to the previous question, I do live in South Florida but my car lives in the garage all year round. Any help is appreciated.
If you're taking it all apart and swapping ONLY the display, there is no calibration. But if you are planning to swap the ENTIRE cluster over, it needs to be calibrated to your VIN number. Otherwise it doesn't display things right and then it will eventually lock you out of everything if I remember correctly
Old 12-18-2023, 10:31 PM   #14
Guro305

Drives: 2010 LS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
If you're taking it all apart and swapping ONLY the display, there is no calibration. But if you are planning to swap the ENTIRE cluster over, it needs to be calibrated to your VIN number. Otherwise it doesn't display things right and then it will eventually lock you out of everything if I remember correctly
So could I swap the displays and use the gauges off of the SS cluster onto the existing cluster? What about if I just swap out the entire cluster for another V6 cluster?

Would I still be in the same boat or is it just because it's a cluster off of a SS?

-Fifthgen Chevy Camaro Victory Red-
-C4 Chevy Corvette White-
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote