Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Trunk Release Button on Door Not Working Question

Hi All

I've searched and read a ton on this subject and have but one question...

FYI
My Key Fob works fine and opens truck
Trunk Relay is good
Trunk Fuse is good
Brand New Door Button and the Door Button still doesnt open trunk....

Question is

Could it still be wire harness in the trunk so many have problems with ?
Car only has 20K on it and it opens with FOB no prob so before I uncover all the wires I just wanted to make sure it could still be that

Thanks in advance

Rob
Old 07-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Have you checked continuity in the wires? Voltage?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Rob10CamaroSS

No, I guess I need to dig deeper

I just took the door panel off "again". The wires are extremely thin and it looks like they get crushed in a few spots, it's probably the wires themself.

The button has never worked since I bought it but as said both my Key FOB's do so no biggy. Just assumed it would be the button, Relay, or Fuse, and now I know it's not....
Oh well it was good try, LOL....
Old 07-29-2019, 12:20 AM   #4
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob10CamaroSS View Post
Hi All

I've searched and read a ton on this subject and have but one question...

FYI
My Key Fob works fine and opens truck
Trunk Relay is good
Trunk Fuse is good
Brand New Door Button and the Door Button still doesnt open trunk....

Question is

Could it still be wire harness in the trunk so many have problems with ?
Car only has 20K on it and it opens with FOB no prob so before I uncover all the wires I just wanted to make sure it could still be that

Thanks in advance

Rob
Manual or auto? My manual has to have the parking brake on to work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I wound up having to replace my drivers X500 connector in the door jamb. It had really bad water ingress and the pins were corroding and bending. It a 20 pin rectangular connector for everything in the door. My drivers windows was intermittent then stopped working. The locks started going all wacky and randomly switching.

I replaced the master window switch and the entire drivers side door wiring harness. Eventually I gave up and went to the dealer, who thought my BCM fried , so that was replaced. But the problem wound up being a bad ground cable in the kick panel and the connector. Apparently that ground wire can break or short easily, especially if you have a sunroof. The water from the drain tube will leak right into the X500s and ground wire if your drains aren't clean. If I pressure washed my car, it would also trigger it.

Just keep it in mind if you don't find the cause or if other stuff starts acting up in that door.

Easiest way to check, just pull that boot off on both doors and see if any water comes out.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:37 AM   #6
Rob10CamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
Manual or auto? My manual has to have the parking brake on to work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It's a manual and wow I didnt even think of that. I do use the Parking Brake when I shut it down but I will double check that, THANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I wound up having to.....

Just keep it in mind if you don't find the cause or if other stuff starts acting up in that door.

Easiest way to check, just pull that boot off on both doors and see if any water comes out.
Wow that sounds like a nightmare but Thanks now I have something else to check.
Rob10CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:47 AM   #7
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
I also have a manual, and I can open/close the trunk WITHOUT the emerg. brake being engaged......
Old 09-12-2019, 06:21 AM   #8
Rob10CamaroSS

UPDATE

Wanted to come back to this thread and tell you what finally fixed this issue...

About a month or so ago the car started acting real weird and all kind of systems stopped working; Tach stopped working, TLC light came on, Service Stabili-Track came on, On Screen Display was acting weird, Electric Fans wouldnt come on, all kinds of weird chit....
After posting here I realized it must have been a bad battery so I replaced it AND NOW THE BUTTON WORKS FINE (and everything else)...

So weird that I drove the car almost a full year without ever having a single battery issue but when I replaced it all of a sudden the Trunk Release Door Button started working again.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:18 AM   #9
2010SailorsSS
CamaroInProgress

Drives: 2010 black on black SS
Replacing door harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I wound up having to replace my drivers X500 connector in the door jamb. It had really bad water ingress and the pins were corroding and bending. It a 20 pin rectangular connector for everything in the door. My drivers windows was intermittent then stopped working. The locks started going all wacky and randomly switching.

I replaced the master window switch and the entire drivers side door wiring harness. Eventually I gave up and went to the dealer, who thought my BCM fried , so that was replaced. But the problem wound up being a bad ground cable in the kick panel and the connector. Apparently that ground wire can break or short easily, especially if you have a sunroof. The water from the drain tube will leak right into the X500s and ground wire if your drains aren't clean. If I pressure washed my car, it would also trigger it.

Did you replace the harness yourself or was it done it a dealership? Ive had a similar issue and was told its the door harness by the dealership. Harness is now discontinued but I found a replacement. Looking for any help to replacing the harness.
2010SailorsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:51 AM   #10
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Its the stupidest thing, but mine also intermittently would not work. Replaced the battery and now it works. Saw this on another thread here, thought that cant be the issue, but it works.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 05:26 AM   #11
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
The battery causes a lot of issues

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:52 AM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yep. These Camaros somehow become "possessed" when the battery gets tired. Really weird, but glad you got it figured out.