Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
Mynhierc

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Looking for suggestions on effective mods for 2019 ZL1

First off sorry if this is in the wrong place.

But anyway to the the real topic.

I ordered my ZL1 with my dealer and it should arrive in about a month. I’ve been researching, price checking, and preparing some mods. This is my DREAM car and I plan to keep it long term. I want it to be an absolute monster, I want it to look it’s best, and I want to continue to improve it. So I’ve come up with a list of things I want to do to the car and I’m looking for others inputs on what I should do.

Options I picked from the dealer:
2Dr Coupe
Mosaic Black w/ Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon Fiber Fuel Door
Carbon Fiber Instrument Panel
Performance Embroidered console lid

My list of mods looks like this:
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake (Let that baby breath)
Borla ATAK Type Exhaust (Really aggressive sound and a slight HP improvement)
P3 OBD2 Multi Guage (Looks nice and has a lot of information)
Upgraded Spark Plugs (not sure which ones)
Lower Pulley
Ported Throttle Body

Vertical Door Kit (maybe not?)
Window Tint (Obvious but essential)
Paint the Brake Calipers (Red to match)
ZL1 Floor Mats (why not)
Cup Holder/Compartment Liners
Rear Window Louvers

Last edited by Mynhierc; 02-14-2019 at 03:20 PM. Reason: updated list
Mynhierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynhierc View Post
First off sorry if this is in the wrong place.

But anyway to the the real topic.

I ordered my ZL1 with my dealer and it should arrive in about a month. I’ve been researching, price checking, and preparing some mods. This is my DREAM car and I plan to keep it long term. I want it to be an absolute monster, I want it to look it’s best, and I want to continue to improve it. So I’ve come up with a list of things I want to do to the car and I’m looking for others inputs on what I should do.

Options I picked from the dealer:
2Dr Coupe
Mosaic Black w/ Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon Fiber Fuel Door
Carbon Fiber Instrument Panel
Performance Embroidered console lid

My list of mods looks like this:
Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake (Let that baby breath)
Borla ATAK Type Exhaust (Really aggressive sound and a slight HP improvement)
Kooks Headers (Same as the Exhaust)
P3 OBD2 Multi Guage (Looks nice and has a lot of information)
Upgraded Spark Plugs (not sure which ones)

Vertical Door Kit (maybe not?)
Window Tint (Obvious but essential)
Paint the Brake Calipers (Red to match)
ZL1 Floor Mats (why not)
Cup Holder/Compartment Liners
Rear Window Louvers
You may also want to look at a ported TB. It's an easy change and also helps with airflow. Mamo Motorsports makes the one I used and is frequently mentioned on this forum.
BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
HyperBlu17

Drives: 2017 HBM ZL1
I feel like cat backs on these cars are kind of a waste unless you're strictly into sound over performance. High dollar for no more than what you get but to each their own. I would do lower pulley, roto fab, 2" long tubes with offroad x-pipe, ported tb, flex fuel for E85. My 13' zl1 I had the same setup through the stock cat back and it made 630 rwhp.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushing kit

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Anything past an intake, throttle body, and cat-back and you're going to need a tune so factor that in. Once you're tuning you might as well do more performance work or just skip the Headers. I definitely would go with a cat-back on these cars because personally I think the NPP is too quiet even in track mode and once you add headers or ditch cats to get some more volume, I'm not a fan of the sound. So go with a cat-back if you want a different sound or "more loud". It's not "sound over performance" because you'll not lose HP, and you may pick up 5-10 anyways. Is it the best performance per dollar mod? No. But does it have its place? Yes.

If you want to get into tuning it (which is necessary past what I said above) there are a slew of options.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I agree with Can'tHave2MuchHP...sound is too quiet stock. Exhaust would be my first mod (and my Borla is on order!). Without tuning just a few bolt-on options remain, as mentioned in previous posts.
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Mynhierc

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Thanks for all the input guys. I’ve decided to not go with the headers, and I added the ported TB and Pulley to my list. I’m a little afraid of the suspension kit. I want to drive the car a little and feel how it rides before I stiffen it up.
Mynhierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. I’ve decided to not go with the headers, and I added the ported TB and Pulley to my list. I’m a little afraid of the suspension kit. I want to drive the car a little and feel how it rides before I stiffen it up.
Absolutely drive the car first. And listen too. The exhaust may be what you want right away which may save you a few dollars. If not then buy the exhaust
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Absolutely drive the car first. And listen too. The exhaust may be what you want right away which may save you a few dollars. If not then buy the exhaust
The first mod can be pulling the NPP fuse until your Borla comes in
BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
We have some great packages to get you started! You can visit our website or give us all call at any time with questions .

Cheers,

Kayla L.
Sales@jdpmotorsports.com
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #11
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
If you are going to do a lower pulley (sizes vary) you should strongly consider long tube headers. Adding long tubes (and/or a lower pulley) will require a tune, and at a minimum, if you prefer to keep the cats, add a quality cat to handle the flow/heat generated by a FI engine such as Kooks high flow cats. If you are not going to add LT's, I would not bother with a lower pulley. A neat mod, but pricey is an NX lid, looks cool and really ads volume to the supercharger whine. Don't worry about plugs unless you are adding LT's and a pulley. Otherwise the stockers are fine. Just a thought, but Vengeance Racing in Cumming, Georgia has a bunch of customers in Florida. You might want to give David at Vengeance a call and check out what they have to offer. Congrats on your purchase and good luck!
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
If you are going to do a lower pulley (sizes vary) you should strongly consider long tube headers. Adding long tubes (and/or a lower pulley) will require a tune, and at a minimum, if you prefer to keep the cats, add a quality cat to handle the flow/heat generated by a FI engine such as Kooks high flow cats. If you are not going to add LT's, I would not bother with a lower pulley. A neat mod, but pricey is an NX lid, looks cool and really ads volume to the supercharger whine. Don't worry about plugs unless you are adding LT's and a pulley. Otherwise the stockers are fine. Just a thought, but Vengeance Racing in Cumming, Georgia has a bunch of customers in Florida. You might want to give David at Vengeance a call and check out what they have to offer. Congrats on your purchase and good luck!
This. If you're doing a pulley, you should do headers. There's two roads: Tune or No Tune. Pick one and then do it right.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #13
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:

I understand where you are coming from, but you are not stiffening up the suspension from a ride quality standpoint with the bushings, you would just be getting rid of the side to side swag that the rear bushings provoke in quick transition maneuvers.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
fredz
Just another car Jones!

Drives: black zl11le
New Exhaust coming......lots of help, thanks

Hi guys.
First, I want to thank many of you for your input on options for exhaust. I looked at a ton of ideas...catback, axleback, full pipes with X, without X , muffler delete..and on and on. I am a researcher on these things as it makes so much more sense to get opinions from those that have tried options.
after settling in on the sound I want and the optional change we have with the NPP, I ended up going with Flowmaster 817746 with midpipes , (scavenger) #81083. I am not sure who really cares but since I got so many tips I thought to just share one man's choice. It was handled by Juiced Motorsports. Anyone else work with them? Seem to be reasonable pricing. Only issue is right now I am waiting for the 817746 pkg to show. It wasn't sent together as a full shipment. Maybe this is normal but thought to ask. I am not in any way complaining, at least yet, but curious. His prices are great and he has options available on many other systems.
Let me know any thoughts out there.
fredz
fredz is offline   Reply With Quote