Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 11-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #561
Obsol3te

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
Not even close, I can tell you that first hand. I work on all of these. The 5.0 has so many problems and does not build power as well as the LT or Hemi platforms.
Does not build power as well? The 5.0 is a dog compared to the SS in factory trim, but add FI and the little 5 oh screams right on by. There are so many people running 10-12lbs of boost well into the 700+whp range and spinning the motor to 8k all day.

My shitty setup should be in the ballpark of 750-800whp (on a dynojet) on plain jane 93 and 12lbs(711 was on a mustang dyno and stopped at 7500 before I upgraded my opg/cs)

The only real issue with FI and the coyote is the shitty crank sprocket an oil pump gear. Swap those $300 parts and you can safely rev to 8k+

And before the Troll posts, you can call it that if you want but I do enjoy reading on your cars from time to time and asking questions when I have to

Edit: And fyi this setup is about 2 years old, over 23k miles daily driven

Lumar 35% Tint, UPR Floating Pony, MMD Decklid, BlackVue650GW Dash Cam
Obsol3te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #562
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsol3te View Post
Does not build power as well? The 5.0 is a dog compared to the SS in factory trim, but add FI and the little 5 oh screams right on by. There are so many people running 10-12lbs of boost well into the 700+whp range and spinning the motor to 8k all day.

My shitty setup should be in the ballpark of 750-800whp (on a dynojet) on plain jane 93 and 12lbs(711 was on a mustang dyno and stopped at 7500 before I upgraded my opg/cs)

The only real issue with FI and the coyote is the shitty crank sprocket an oil pump gear. Swap those $300 parts and you can safely rev to 8k+

And before the Troll posts, you can call it that if you want but I do enjoy reading on your cars from time to time and asking questions when I have to

Geez now we go from one exaggeration to another. The LT1 makes the same kind of power per pound of boost. 12lbs puts it over 700...rpm is not that big of a deal. As I already said the biggest difference is the LT1 needs 2k in fuel upgrades to hit that number and a 1k set of drop in pistons to make that power reliably...then it's set for 850-900whp. Both are capable platforms, but I do give the 5.0 the edge with boost and the LT1 the edge NA.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #563
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
I'm not a ford guy but one can not deny that the 5.0 is as if not more capable with boost then the LT1. For one they are not as expensive to upgrade the fuel system.
I have not touched my stock fuel system on my LT1 and I'm well past 600 at the rear wheels and with traction can be in the low side of 10's. The old school fuel style on the 5.0 does make the stock system more forgiving for sure, but it comes with its own line of issues. Dollar for dollar the 5.0 does not seem to push HP numbers like the LT does. That's using the same dynojet with the Eddy Brake system and basing gains off of stock number to post modified numbers as a comparison.
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs

Last edited by Chevy71; 11-06-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #564
Chevy71

Quote:

Changing that powdered gear for the oil pump is no easy task, cheap part, but a cumbersome job. I have also never seen a S550 pushed above 7k rpm without going larger on the injectors and the fuel rail. Depending on who you talk to, some say you need 95's or bigger to run 7500 rpm. The coyote is running aluminum pistons just like the LT and the breaking point sits at the same 750ish crank hp before they both run the risk of letting go. The coyote does come with forged rods which is certainly better than the LT1, but the LT rods seem to be able to handle a decent amount of power before becoming an issue.
I have not done a coyote nor do I know of a coyote making big power by just tuning the stock injectors up. Even the small roush kit comes with new injectors and a new rail. While the sequential injection is easier than direct injection, I don't think it makes as much power and they added those dang charging valves back in the intake to balance out flow which is just another part to hassle with. I have not seen first hand any S550 or S197 sail on by the LT with alike mods both boosted or N/A. Actually N/A the coyote seems to really fall behind the LT and Hemi both. They still build rpm so slow still too, Ford clearly seen this and tried fixing it by going with the updated crank for the 350's to improve rev. speed. My experience each engine gains power from different types of adders but the coyote never seems to have the upper edge in anything I've done personally or seen. Actually it certainly gets better gains from headers than the LT does. It seems to hit the same limits an LT does just requires a little more to get it to those power levels. That's my personal experience which ultimately means nothing lol.

My car is making over 750 at the crank on 7psi and that's stock LT1 fuel system, stock muffler, stock intake manifold, and stock throttle body. To be fair, my cam does have a larger fuel lobe for the HPFP. Let's not talk about doing all the cams in the coyote and that crazy phaser system they have lol
SW long tube headers
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Old 11-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #565
Obsol3te

Quote:
1. Changing that powdered gear for the oil pump is no easy task, cheap part, but a cumbersome job.
2. I have also never seen a S550 pushed above 7k rpm without going larger on the injectors and the fuel rail. Depending on who you talk to, some say you need 95's or bigger to run 7500 rpm.
3. The coyote is running aluminum pistons just like the LT and the breaking point sits at the same 750ish crank hp before they both run the risk of letting go.
4. The coyote does come with forged rods which is certainly better than the LT1, but the LT rods seem to be able to handle a decent amount of power before becoming an issue.
5. I have not done a coyote nor do I know of a coyote making big power by just tuning the stock injectors up. Even the small roush kit comes with new injectors and a new rail. While the sequential injection is easier than direct injection, I don't think it makes as much power
6. and they added those dang charging valves back in the intake to balance out flow which is just another part to hassle with. I have not seen first hand any S550 or S197 sail on by the LT with alike mods both boosted or N/A.
7. Actually N/A the coyote seems to really fall behind the LT and Hemi both.
8. They still build rpm so slow still too, Ford clearly seen this and tried fixing it by going with the updated crank for the 350's to improve rev. speed. My experience each engine gains power from different types of adders but the coyote never seems to have the upper edge in anything I've done personally or seen.
9. Actually it certainly gets better gains from headers than the LT does. It seems to hit the same limits an LT does just requires a little more to get it to those power levels. That's my personal experience which ultimately means nothing lol.

My car is making over 750 at the crank on 7psi and that's stock LT1 fuel system, stock muffler, stock intake manifold, and stock throttle body. To be fair, my cam does have a larger fuel lobe for the HPFP. Let's not talk about doing all the cams in the coyote and that crazy phaser system they have lol
1. There's a bunch of different write-ups online. I swapped my oil pump gears and crank sprocket myself. It's not "hard" it's just tedious. And there really isn't any specialty tools other than a torque wrench and balancer puller which you can rent.
2. I'm sorry if I made it seem that we were making power on the stock injectors. They most definitely will not support any kind of Forced induction, which is why theyre included in about any kit you purchase aside from the cheaper "tuner" kits.
3. The "common", which arnt that common, engine failures 9 times out of 10 is the stock oil pump gears letting go. They don't do well in high rpm or high power applications. As long as you keep the revs under 7500 and arn't trying to make more than 800 crank you're generally pretty safe. The other issue some others are having is wrist pin problems. But that crowd is usually on e85 or some type of race fuel, really pushing the boundary for the stock motor. Theyre in the 800-900whp range. If the tune is spot on, the pistons do fine.
4. Forged crank and forged rods. The rods are actually sinter forged and are the next weak link when you start making closer to the 1000 hp mark.
5. agreed. theres no one running stock injectors making big power. and DI > PI when it comes to forced induction.
6. The only way you're still dealing with those valves is if you're running a turbo and you keep the stock intake manifold or you're running a centri blower. All the Positive displacement blowers(roots/twin screw) you cap off the plugs to them and throw the intake in the trash.
7. Agreed. the n/a coyote is horrible. I came from pushrod motor prior to this modular one in the mustang. The partial throttle around town low rpm response was awful. I missed my torquey pushrod v8. However, Kenne bell fixed my partial throttle low rpm issue
8. rpm climbing slow? a bunch of factors play into this, the coyote just has more of them to climb? dont really know what you're saying here. I can't say for sure why ford wanted to try the flat plane crank, they sound amazing but the engine literally wants to vibrate apart. The reason the coyote has the upper hand in Forced induction is you don't have to open the motor to swap pistons and drop a fat dime on fuel upgrades to get you there. Usually a BAP and injector is all you need to make into the high 700-800whp range.
9. Can't comment here, other than factory cats are bullshit.

But i do suggest you pop on over to your sister forum (mustang6g) and checkout the forced induction section if you think i've got reason to lie about anything.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #566
KingLT1

Quote:
I have not touched my stock fuel system on my LT1 and I'm well past 600 at the rear wheels and with traction can be in the low side of 10's. The old school fuel style on the 5.0 does make the stock system more forgiving for sure, but it comes with its own line of issues. Dollar for dollar the 5.0 does not seem to push HP numbers like the LT does. That's using the same dynojet with the Eddy Brake system and basing gains off of stock number to post modified numbers as a comparison.
Yea because you installed a cam with a 32% fuel lobe...I was referring to Stock engines.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #567
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Yea because you installed a cam with a 32% fuel lobe...I was referring to Stock engines.
Fair, my lobe certainly allows the HPFP to move more fuel and pressure, but everyone will tell you the fuel runs out on the stock injectors and the stock HPFP in the mid to high 500rwhp range and that at a minimum you have to install LT4 fuel parts for anymore gains. Which I never have thought was true and am not running any of it on mine.
SW long tube headers
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #568
Chevy71

Quote:
1. There's a bunch of different write-ups online. I swapped my oil pump gears and crank sprocket myself. It's not "hard" it's just tedious. And there really isn't any specialty tools other than a torque wrench and balancer puller which you can rent.
2. I'm sorry if I made it seem that we were making power on the stock injectors. They most definitely will not support any kind of Forced induction, which is why theyre included in about any kit you purchase aside from the cheaper "tuner" kits.
3. The "common", which arnt that common, engine failures 9 times out of 10 is the stock oil pump gears letting go. They don't do well in high rpm or high power applications. As long as you keep the revs under 7500 and arn't trying to make more than 800 crank you're generally pretty safe. The other issue some others are having is wrist pin problems. But that crowd is usually on e85 or some type of race fuel, really pushing the boundary for the stock motor. Theyre in the 800-900whp range. If the tune is spot on, the pistons do fine.
4. Forged crank and forged rods. The rods are actually sinter forged and are the next weak link when you start making closer to the 1000 hp mark.
5. agreed. theres no one running stock injectors making big power. and DI > PI when it comes to forced induction.
6. The only way you're still dealing with those valves is if you're running a turbo and you keep the stock intake manifold or you're running a centri blower. All the Positive displacement blowers(roots/twin screw) you cap off the plugs to them and throw the intake in the trash.
7. Agreed. the n/a coyote is horrible. I came from pushrod motor prior to this modular one in the mustang. The partial throttle around town low rpm response was awful. I missed my torquey pushrod v8. However, Kenne bell fixed my partial throttle low rpm issue
8. rpm climbing slow? a bunch of factors play into this, the coyote just has more of them to climb? dont really know what you're saying here. I can't say for sure why ford wanted to try the flat plane crank, they sound amazing but the engine literally wants to vibrate apart. The reason the coyote has the upper hand in Forced induction is you don't have to open the motor to swap pistons and drop a fat dime on fuel upgrades to get you there. Usually a BAP and injector is all you need to make into the high 700-800whp range.
9. Can't comment here, other than factory cats are bullshit.

But i do suggest you pop on over to your sister forum (mustang6g) and checkout the forced induction section if you think i've got reason to lie about anything.
I never thought you were lying, just do not have as much faith in the coyote as you do. I also have not seen the gains come easy with them. I did get those intake valve plates with a roush kit I did for a kid, but the centri style blowers are what I do most and the stock intake has stayed on. Your right about the powdered gear, it doesn't require anything special, it's just a cumbersome sh!tty job that you have to do if you get any kind of gains out of that engine or it will fail.
I put pistons in mine last month only because I'm looking to go with much higher boost this winter in the off time. I could have easily been 700whp with my set up without changing fuel or dropping pistons, I'm only on 7psi and almost there now. My issue with the smaller pulley was IAT's and with the miles I drive didn't want to deal with meth injection to help drop the temps. For the most part I would have been alright, but those few times it gets hot are no good. With my next phase I'll clear that up and I knew the stock pistons wouldn't be able to handle 15psi for long lol. I think a lot of people with the LT1 are following the mass too much and not actually looking into the details haha

I'll try to check out the sting forum and see what they have going. I struggle to keep up with this on and the vette forum as it is now though
SW long tube headers
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 AM   #569
Obsol3te

Quote:
I never thought you were lying, just do not have as much faith in the coyote as you do. I also have not seen the gains come easy with them. I did get those intake valve plates with a roush kit I did for a kid, but the centri style blowers are what I do most and the stock intake has stayed on. Your right about the powdered gear, it doesn't require anything special, it's just a cumbersome sh!tty job that you have to do if you get any kind of gains out of that engine or it will fail.
I put pistons in mine last month only because I'm looking to go with much higher boost this winter in the off time. I could have easily been 700whp with my set up without changing fuel or dropping pistons, I'm only on 7psi and almost there now. My issue with the smaller pulley was IAT's and with the miles I drive didn't want to deal with meth injection to help drop the temps. For the most part I would have been alright, but those few times it gets hot are no good. With my next phase I'll clear that up and I knew the stock pistons wouldn't be able to handle 15psi for long lol. I think a lot of people with the LT1 are following the mass too much and not actually looking into the details haha

I'll try to check out the sting forum and see what they have going. I struggle to keep up with this on and the vette forum as it is now though
I feel the same way. Checking the forums from time to time, digging around the bullshit everyday same old questions to find the meat and potatoes. It's nice to hop over here from time to time and see what/how the chevy crowds doing as well.

I've been considering running meth as well on my daily. I honestly dont care much for the additional power itll make, im making enough for a normal street radial anyways, i just want my blower to sing. You can't tell shes supercharged unless you notice the whistle at low rpm light throttle. Other than that, no whine!!

And I honestly didn't know the LT1 had it in it to run high 600's at the wheels with FI. The times I pop over here and read about you guy's setup theyre usually only netting about 100-150 over stock putting them around 550whp maybe touching 600.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #570
1le32907

Drives: Summit white 1le ss
Meth helps out a lot but now pushing the limit so time to go forged
1le32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #571
KingLT1

Quote:
I feel the same way. Checking the forums from time to time, digging around the bullshit everyday same old questions to find the meat and potatoes. It's nice to hop over here from time to time and see what/how the chevy crowds doing as well.

I've been considering running meth as well on my daily. I honestly dont care much for the additional power itll make, im making enough for a normal street radial anyways, i just want my blower to sing. You can't tell shes supercharged unless you notice the whistle at low rpm light throttle. Other than that, no whine!!

And I honestly didn't know the LT1 had it in it to run high 600's at the wheels with FI. The times I pop over here and read about you guy's setup theyre usually only netting about 100-150 over stock putting them around 550whp maybe touching 600.
Jenetty racing has a customer that has been making 762whp for 2yrs now on his daily driven 6gen SS. Stock LT1, Magnuson or Whiplle, LT4 fuel system, Headers, CAI...etc. Laynlo is around 670whp with Magnuson, meth, Headers, CAI. Runs 10.3's and trapped as high as 136.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #572
Chevy71

Quote:

My latest dyno was (same one I've used from day one) puts me at 681 to the rear wheels, no fuel adders, BTR cam, and long tube headers. Stock muffler, intake manifold, and throttle body. I did some head work, but only to keep my IAT's in check. I pulled my pistons and put forged in so I could run higher boost, they held up all year (about 16k miles) and that's a number of track pulls and tons of highway pulls. She runs pretty solid honestly. Here is a pic of the stock ones. Not sure what I'm going to do with them lol. Total they have about 27k on them.
Attached Images

SW long tube headers
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs