Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
I like the Camaro's 'wide hips'....they make it look mean and agressive.....grrrrr...
Old 03-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Taz_FL

Drives: 1LT/RS Yellow/Black
I like the Camaro the way it sits. Although it does hinder sight some I like the high sides and low roof line. But I'm in agreement with all the others who said making the car lighter would be a good thing.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Think of it this way, the dimensions of this Camaro (wider hips, shoter overall height, and longer wheelbase) equate to more stability and handling in cornering maneuvers.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Thanks for the insights. No I haven't driven one, and that's the problem. No dealer I've met so far has allowed test drives.

I was watching Top Gear on youtube (the muscle car drive through the US 3 part series) and noticed how uncomfortable Hammond was driving the Challenger through the twisties, whilst May (driving the CTS-V) and Clarkson (ZR1) loved the handling through the twisties. I also noticed that the Challenger gets the best slalom time out of the 3 muscle cars (Challenger, Mustang, Camaro), which made me wonder whether the Camaro will feel nimble through the twisties, or feel like a hog.

Last edited by sen10l; 03-29-2010 at 04:42 PM.
sen10l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Had an '08 Mustang GT and test drove a 2010 SS. The GT feels smaller but not that much smaller. But the GT rides like a truck IMO. The Camaro's ride felt much more sophisticated and refined in comparison......and a lot more mid-range power too.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
hair10

Drives: 2SS - Transformer Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by "prima"Donna View Post
I like the Camaro's 'wide hips'
Baby got back!

hair10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #21
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Had an '08 Mustang GT and test drove a 2010 SS. The GT feels smaller but not that much smaller. But the GT rides like a truck IMO. The Camaro's ride felt much more sophisticated and refined in comparison......and a lot more mid-range power too.
Thanks for sharing!! Always nice to hear comparisons like this. Does the Camaro feel porky to you in terms of handling compared with the Mustang?
Old 03-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
Thanks for sharing!! Always nice to hear comparisons like this. Does the Camaro feel porky to you in terms of handling compared with the Mustang?
Not on my test ride it didn't. But I didn't take it on any real tight turns. But I guess the point I'm trying to make is that while the Camaro is "bigger", it's not like my Mustang GT felt like a compact, dartier car in comparison. It didn't. It felt muscle car big as well...."slightly smaller than the Camaro"....but the Camaro also feels more powerful. The Camaro may have a few more blind spots though.

The 6spd manual gearing in Camaro KILLS the lame 5spd in the GT. 5th gear was so much taller than 4th no matter what gears you put in the car..I had 3.55s. This of course may change with 2011 Mustang's having a 6spd I believe.

But I for one could tell the difference in ride quality instantly. The Mustang's solid rear axle...for ME.....got tiresome after awhile. The Camaro I thought was much more civilized and I preferred it as it felt 21st century to me vs prehistoric in the Mustang. Granted a first test drive in the Mustang GT you don't notice it as much as you're focused on the V8 rumble..etc. But you do notice it as you drive it everyday....at least I did.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #23
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I own both. I have done our R & D on both vehicles as well as the LX (Charger, Challenger, Magnum and 300C). Each has desirable attributes as well as weaknesses. The Challenger is the biggest of the three. It has the best front suspension geometry. The Mustang hangs the front sway bar directly to the monocoque, NOT connected to the front sub-frame to go along with the three link rear suspension. The Camaro is the most solid of the three with a state-of-the-art IRS and robust monocoque.

There are basic improvements an owner can make to all three of these vehicles to have them perform incredibly well. A front chassis brace that connects the Mustang sway bar to the front sub-frame is a huge improvement. The LX is the most complex to upgrade and requires rear sub-frame bushes to reduce rear end step-out -- steering created when the sub-frame moves under load. The Camaro has a similar rear end step-out issue, bu that can be easily corrected in a hour with sub-frame bush inserts.

How good is a Camaro in a turn? we pull 1.38 Gs on street tires and run lap times equal to a Vette.

So which car should you buy? The only way is to take a test drive and make up your own mind, but I'll tell you right now a Camaro is a tough car to beat.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #24
harleypdd

Drives: Silver 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hair10 View Post
Baby got back!
I bought mine b/c I'm a sucker for wide rearends.

Last edited by harleypdd; 03-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.
harleypdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #25
USAFJeeper
Bringing mullets back

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hair10 View Post
Baby got back!

Thank you! I didn't want to be the one to have to say it!

Next - Tinting
USAFJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #26
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I own both. I have done our R & D on both vehicles as well as the LX (Charger, Challenger, Magnum and 300C). Each has desirable attributes as well as weaknesses. The Challenger is the biggest of the three. It has the best front suspension geometry. The Mustang hangs the front sway bar directly to the monocoque, NOT connected to the front sub-frame to go along with the three link rear suspension. The Camaro is the most solid of the three with a state-of-the-art IRS and robust monocoque.

There are basic improvements an owner can make to all three of these vehicles to have them perform incredibly well. A front chassis brace that connects the Mustang sway bar to the front sub-frame is a huge improvement. The LX is the most complex to upgrade and requires rear sub-frame bushes to reduce rear end step-out -- steering created when the sub-frame moves under load. The Camaro has a similar rear end step-out issue, bu that can be easily corrected in a hour with sub-frame bush inserts.

How good is a Camaro in a turn? we pull 1.38 Gs on street tires and run lap times equal to a Vette.

So which car should you buy? The only way is to take a test drive and make up your own mind, but I'll tell you right now a Camaro is a tough car to beat.
awesome!!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #27
n!ght r!der
That Guy

Drives: really good
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
You seem to have not seen a 2010 Camaro next to a Challenger. Now there is an eye opener.
It's about 7 inches longer, 3 inches taller and 0.2 inches wider than a camaro. So if they're side by side I'm guessing he wouldn't be able to tell which one is wider...

But all in all the chally is more "hoggish" than the others..
n!ght r!der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #28
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
You can keep your "Mini-Camaro"... I'll keep mine as is.
Love the size, the attitude and the performance!

My Camaro rocks and spits gravel at you. Ptooie!!!