Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #29
hair10

Drives: 2SS - Transformer Edition
In my '02 model year the versions went the other way... Z28 was the "base V8" and SS was the "upgrade". I was never sorry that I "just had the Z28" and not the SS. I won't be sorry that I have the SS now and not the Z28.

For me it simply comes down to price vs prestige. The SS has everything I want and I'm not willing to fork out the extra $$$ just so the few people who know Camaros will know that I have the Z28.

hair10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #30
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Simply put....Have fun today.........you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Get the SS and have fun now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #31
mikey8

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
I didn't look at the SS as settling. It's my dream car, and I love it! I'm obsessed with my car. I go out to garage and just look at it. My wife thinks I'm crazy. There will always be something new and exciting coming down the pike. Good Luck with whatever you decide on!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #32
HuecoDoc

Drives: 2SS, black with burnt orange.
There is some personal psychology involved here.

It all began many years ago when I was a child...

A few years ago I got stoked on the HP figures for the Triumph Rocket3. I saved up only to find it was months late in delivery. I went for the old bad-boy used Yamaha Vmax on the floor. It ripped like nothing else, and you could not have given me a brand new Rocket3 in trade once I saw how awkward they are.

All the time, I was waiting for Yamaha to finally overhaul the 1985 Vmax into a modern beast. I crashed my Vmax and it was toast, so I was looking for the replacement. The new concept Vmax
was always on the horizon but when it came to nuts and bolts, a BMW K1200R was the most kickass beast around. Before I even tired of it (I still haven't) the Actual Yamaha Vmax is pushing through production and delivery dates are being announced.

I put down an early deposit and got Vmax #0196. Awesome. By now, BMW has upgraged the K1200R to the K1300R while I wasn't looking. Somewhere in here a year ago I plan out the Camaro I'd want but the Vmx is filling my free time. I resisted that urge until now, and I got a 2ss. Love it. I think I love all these vehicles i've gotten and the various stresses and anticipations can make the process better. I'll will consisitently try to let a new model exist for a year before I obligate to one, but I consistently fail to do do and have 3 newly designed vehicles for which I have taken my lick on a couple of problems.

There are upgrades in every direction. There are downgrades in every direction ehich you can then upgrade.There is alwasys a concept upgrade looming in the future.

A given purchase feels alot better if you have felt bad by not having it for a period of time. It's like food to stomachs.

The BMW S1000RR is a bike to be respected. It's numbers are unbelievable and it becons me. Vehicles are just a lot of fun.
HuecoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #33
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Awesome perspectives shared! Thanks!

I think if the z28 comes out when there are at least a few months of driving before winter, then I'll wait for the z28. If I have to wait until 2012 to drive the Z, then I'll "settle" for the SS. But it's nice to know that I won't really be "settling"! Cool!

On the one hand the Z is like a grail car, on the other hand the SS is more discreet and less showy.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #34
duraclean
Ford

Drives: inf Orange Gray Stripe 2SS/RS
SS is the best! When I see the 50 thousand dollar Z28 on the showroom floor maybe I will make a trade. Until then I have the SS.
duraclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #35
mikey8

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post
I've established that my tolerance level for wait is about 6 months. I've waited about 5 months now, and I'm going a little nuts. If I hear later on down the road that it will be a late 2011 Z/28, I'm going to cry.
Quote:
Yes, but by Spring 2011 when I am ready to purchase, I assume we will know whether the Z/28 is a go or not. Obviously if no-go, then I won't regret something that doesn't exist. However if it is a go but for later in 2011, then would I buy the SS in Spring 2011, or wait for the Z/28?
I'm confused.... Are you looking to purchase something in a month or a year?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #36
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
If GM releases the Z/28 in late 2011, I think I won't buy it. That means I won't buy it until 2012 because I won't drive it in the 2011 winter. That means I will "settle" for the SS because I can't wait 2 friggin years! (from today)

Assuming I won't drive on the track, will I be happy with the SS in the long-term? People keep saying that once you get used to the HP, you want more. I wanted to jump straight to the Z/28 because I want to avoid wasting money switching down the road (especially if I'm going to sink money into the car). I anticipate based on my past behaviour that I will want more.

The Z/28 is the package, out of the box it looks different from run-of-the-mill Camaros that by the end of 2011 will have swamped the roads, and out of the box it has track handling and power. I don't have to buy an SS, eventually see the Z/28 on the road, and then experience envy and regret.

On the other hand, the SS might ALWAYS make me happy. I don't know since I've never been in this situation.

So to answer this question, I think the best way would be look at your own past behaviour. Have you purchased a performance car in the past, only to have better performing cars released a few years later, and still you stuck with your performance car because it was *enough*?

I suspect that few people can actually answer this question, since the fact you bought a 2010 Camaro says that whatever you had before was clearly *not* enough. But who knows, some of you may *still* have your previous car or have the experience of a performance car you bought decades ago.

Thanks!
If the Z28 does come out youll still be in the same situation. It will be a production car just like the SS and thousands of people will have them. Then what? So in the end it only matters what you want, you can always add power to a car. The Z will end up being a run-of -the-mill Camaro as well after 6months of production.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #37
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Test drive one.
I was in the same boat you are...and this helped A LOT.

If it EVER gets boring (unlikely) you can slap on a supercharger and some suspension goodies and call it a day.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #38
2SSRSB

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZbob View Post
I am really glad the American Government helped out General Motors, if they did not there would be no LS, LT, SS or Z-28. What would all of us on Camaro5 do? Would we buy stangs.NOT
+1

2010 2SS RS
Born December 9, 2009
2SSRSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #39
2SSRSB

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Inferno Orange
I typically get itchy for a new car after two or three years. I figured SS today, and (if GM builds it) the Z28 tomorrow. Why wait? Enjoy your life!

2010 2SS RS
Born December 9, 2009
2SSRSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #40
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8 View Post
I'm confused.... Are you looking to purchase something in a month or a year?
Camaro purchase is in 2011. The question is which one and whether I'm willing to wait until possibly 2012 to buy a Z/28.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #41
sen10l

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpimp00 View Post
If the Z28 does come out youll still be in the same situation. It will be a production car just like the SS and thousands of people will have them. Then what? So in the end it only matters what you want, you can always add power to a car. The Z will end up being a run-of -the-mill Camaro as well after 6months of production.
I don't think so. I don't see that many Shelbys on the street, and when I do, it is a nice change to the legions of "base" GTs and V6 Mustangs. I imagine the Z/28 will have the same effect if the motortrend render is anything to go by.

The key for me is not to get something totally unique, just uncommon. Right now, the Camaro is nowhere near as common on the streets compared with the Mustang when it was released in 2005. Nevertheless, the SS/V6 Camaro may become almost as common as the Mustang eventually. The commonality of the Z/28 on the other hand would be much less and of a level that would be of sufficient exclusivity for my tastes.

I'm really not into the whole putting lipstick on a pig. I think it's ridiculous when people buy Civics etc. and sink 10s of thousands into making it faster. Why not just buy a faster car? Now I'm not saying the Camaro is a pig, but I would rather buy a Z/28 than put money into an SS to perform the same as a Z/28 - know what I mean? Actually the more I think about this, I think I will wait for the Z/28 even if it is late 2011. I'm almost certain now that I will regret it if I am impatient.