Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-11-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
Migraine8

Drives: 02 Dakota - 2011 camaro 2ss
Transmission fluid recommendations

Im looking to change the transmission fluid and filter on my 2011 Camaro 2ss automatic l99
What fluid do you recommend and how many qts will I need..
Migraine8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:49 PM   #2
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Do you have the owners manual for the car? I would check there.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 09:49 AM   #3
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Check for any signs of a tranny fluid leak. If you can't find any, then just drain, measure, then fill (refill the same amount that you drained).

And as sengli stated, check your manual for the proper fluid type. I got my fluid and filter from rockauto.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:06 AM   #4
RoadRunner70

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS 2012 Auto/TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migraine8 View Post
Im looking to change the transmission fluid and filter on my 2011 Camaro 2ss automatic l99
What fluid do you recommend and how many qts will I need..
Please follow this link. You can find here all fluids' quantities. Vendor is German but volumes are the same

https://oilguide.ravenol.de/?lang=en...9cc9be1d9280fb

just draining the oil is 6.5 liters, but a complete replacement with the special tool is about 11 liters, no one will tell you for sure. In the case of a complete replacement, it is important to correctly set the oil level.
RoadRunner70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:09 AM   #5
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I don’t know why everyone beats around the bush when answering this question. He is asking what type of oils we recommend like royal purple, penzoil synthetic (what I use in my car but thinking of trying a different type soon). Any high quality Dexron VI atf can work. Drain and fill the pan is about 3.5 qts so have atleast 5 qts on hand. Also change the filter while you have the pan down. I installed a dipstick mod in mine and makes it so easy to add fluid and check level. Other than that mod you have to fill from underneath till it drips from the fill hole.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:26 AM   #6
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Other than that mod you have to fill from underneath till it drips from the fill hole.

You would need the engine to be at a specific running temp for a correct measurement. It's easier to just drain and fill with the same amount.

I bought a heat gun and checked my level the first time, so now I just need to check for fluid leaks. If none are found, just drain and fill. If one is found, then I have other issues...
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote