Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #43
Opus13
Opus13

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Black
This is why I joined. I recently notice the voltage gauge showing a little over 12 volts while driving. I'm old school, alternators run at 14 volts all the time. So I come here and find out that this is normal. This is a great forum.
Opus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #44
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I have been working with marine systems and giant 8D batteries for the last 7 years, and we've had to troubleshoot the charging system with DC/AC inverters, Alternators, and AC shore power...while I'm nowhere near an electrical engineer...I've learned a great deal about the characteristics of batteries, bulk, float, and maintenance charges...and false charge readings from recent charging.

I always thought it was neat, and efficient of modern automotive systems to have a smart charging system that doesn't keep pumping out 14.3-14.7 volts constantly like our boat does.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #45
camaro426@

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6 Speed
My 2011 Silverado also has the "only charge when needed" software. It's made to help gas milage and to NOT overcharge the battery. I freaked when I first saw the needle dip on the truck, then I found out why. '17 2SS does the same thing..........
camaro426@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #46
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
Yeah, unfortunately. It does mean that I can't charge my DJI drone batteries unless the car decides that it's putting out enough voltage. Which never happens when I need it.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #47
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Adaptive charging has been standard in cars for a long time. Probably 20 years. Since the ECM became a vital part of engine operation so right around the time of OBDII, like 1996. You probably either never noticed it or your older cars didn’t have a volt meter on the dash.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #48
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurostyle View Post
A battery at 12.6 or 12.3 is a dead battery. Take a volt meter and measure right at the battery for accuracy. My 2 15 Camaros always showed charging between 13.4 and 13.8. This new 16 show charging of 12.4. Something is not right.
The older way always showed 13.8 to 14.2 when the car is running. This is telling you the alternator is charging at 13.8 to 14.2 volts. With the car shut off the reading will change as its telling you battery voltage now, not the charging rate of the alternator . The new cars have a smart charging system and while the car is running it will show anywhere from 12.5 to 14.3. You are correct by saying if the car is running constantly at 12.3, the battery will soon be weak as it is not charging , eventually seeing 12.0, 11.5 etc
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #49
Camvette

Drives: 2016 2ss
Such a great forum. See the exact same thing. Thanks for letting us know it's normal and explaining why!
Camvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #50
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Car has been sitting for several weeks and decided to measure battery voltage under hood, since there are so many battery issues. Voltage read 12.08 volts and I was surprised that car started with no hesitation.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #51
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
I just replaced my OEM battery which was 4 years old because it always showed 14 V on the dash gauge and started to show 12.5 so I figured it was going bad. I put in a new glass matt battery and it is doing the same thing fluctuating between 12.5V to occasionally 14V. I called my dealer and he told me what GlenE posted. Newer systems are smart voltage regularors which don't charge until it's needed but what I don't understand is my OEM battery always showed 14V until about 4 weeks ago. Also my battery maintainer takes the voltage up to 14 and levels off. Is that actually hurting the battery?

Last edited by craigss50; 09-22-2020 at 11:15 AM.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #52
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
I just replaced my OEM battery which was 4 years old because it always showed 14 V on the dash gauge and started to show 12.5 so I figured it was going bad. I put in a new glass matt battery and it is doing the same thing fluctuating between 12.5V to occasionally 14V. I called my dealer and he told me what GlenE posted. Newer systems are smart voltage regularors which don't charge until it's needed but what I don't understand is my OEM battery always showed 14V until about 4 weeks ago. Also my battery maintainer takes the voltage up to 14 and levels off. Is that actually hurting the battery?
Just means you have enough electrical load to have the alternator run at a higher voltage at all times.

If you are using a maintainer dedicated to AGM batteries, you should be okay.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #53
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
Yeah, unfortunately. It does mean that I can't charge my DJI drone batteries unless the car decides that it's putting out enough voltage. Which never happens when I need it.
You can add a new 12V port in the trunk, directly to the battery so you can charge stuff without the key. I've done this to all my cars. Find them on Amazon, or in camping stores...
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 03:59 PM   #54
ChrisM

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
20166 2SS battery -charging system issue

Hi , New to the group. have a 2016 2SS that intermittently will not start mostly after small stops and starts. Change the battery, and still got stuck. drive for a bit , shut it off wait for a few then try to start if there is no juice. get the message the battery is low. Took it to the Dealer (to see if under warranty ultimately it wasn't) and they found a cable (negative I believe was dropping 1 volt which is too much. They changed the whole harness. Took the car on a drive, shut if off 15 mines later, it was dead again. It's not the starter getting heat soaked, I added another ground as mentioned in another post. Other times the car is fine. Did notice that its voltage gauge is dropping to 12.5 (ish volts) while we say this is normal, mine seems to stay n that range for a long while and that is not normal. Let it run for 2 hrs like this and the car died! Checking the BCM and ECM to make sure commands are working to turn on and off the alternator when it s supposed to but it's hard when the problem is intermittent. GM opened a tech case on this. Luckily I have a brother is who is super tech at GM and he is the one doing all the leg work on this. So far no culprit found yet but there are theories. I will share once we have an answer/solution. Frustrating to keep getting stuck after spending about a 1,000 bucks.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:20 PM   #55
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Hi , New to the group. have a 2016 2SS that intermittently will not start mostly after small stops and starts. Change the battery, and still got stuck. drive for a bit , shut it off wait for a few then try to start if there is no juice. get the message the battery is low. Took it to the Dealer (to see if under warranty ultimately it wasn't) and they found a cable (negative I believe was dropping 1 volt which is too much. They changed the whole harness. Took the car on a drive, shut if off 15 mines later, it was dead again. It's not the starter getting heat soaked, I added another ground as mentioned in another post. Other times the car is fine. Did notice that its voltage gauge is dropping to 12.5 (ish volts) while we say this is normal, mine seems to stay n that range for a long while and that is not normal. Let it run for 2 hrs like this and the car died! Checking the BCM and ECM to make sure commands are working to turn on and off the alternator when it s supposed to but it's hard when the problem is intermittent. GM opened a tech case on this. Luckily I have a brother is who is super tech at GM and he is the one doing all the leg work on this. So far no culprit found yet but there are theories. I will share once we have an answer/solution. Frustrating to keep getting stuck after spending about a 1,000 bucks.
That sucks, and I have no other advice than the avenues you're already tried, except maybe checking for persistent parasitic loads. Please keep us posted.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:08 PM   #56
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
2017 Camaro charging voltage while driving 11.6v -14v

Hi all after looking here i'm sure I have an issue. 2 weeks ago when it was about 35 degrees I let my car sit for 10-14 days and then started it and went somewhere about 100 miles round trip and saw the digital dash voltage was 14v - 14.2v, I plugged in my cigarette lighter voltage meter and it was mostly charging in the 14v-14.2 and understand that with the cold and car sitting this could be normal?

I replaced the original GM Delco battery about 4 months ago from Walmart with the same ratings and so, that next weekend I put my AGM charger on and it was fully charged by the next Monday. So this weekend I connected it and was fully charged from this past Sunday and this morning Monday I drove 50 miles and really did not pay attention to the charging meter, and on my return trip I'm see that gauge read about 11.5 volts. Then plugged in my lighter volt meter and the voltage was 11.5 lowest to 14 and seamed like there is a power charging issue or a AGM cell issue?

When I got home today I connected my OBD2 reader and it has a battery good or bad test and it was good, then I tested the Alt system and it was also good.

Since 2017 I don't ever recall my charging voltage ever was around or less then 12 ish volts!

I will tomorrow after my car sits over night and measure the battery voltage and I bet it will be under 12v. So I am thinking it's either the somewhat new battery or it's the Alternator charging/ charging circuit? So 3 possible parts?

Any suggestions other than drive to an Autozone and I think they will use there OBD2 unit like I did that shows Good? I don't want to remove the battery as it's a pain to get to but I can also after I see what the resting battery voltage is put my AGM 10 a charger and later that day remove and measure the battery voltage and then again later that night to see if the battery is holding?

Or I have 2 of the 3 parts the issue... Just odd and any help welcomed!!

Thanks
Christopher

P.S Also I am not getting any low voltage warnings from the car???

Last edited by cengell; 02-19-2024 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added new note.
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote