Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-25-2020, 09:38 AM   #15
Pcormier66

Drives: 2019 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Car is running stock DSSV.
Posting this does not mean i am advocating deletely your rear bar. Just trying to start dialog.
Too many unknown variables to compare the race car to a stock ZLE. What is the weight distribution, tire pressures, camber/caster, did they change the section width of the tires (did they keep the same stagger), etc. The suspension is a system. Change one variable and it will affect the handling characteristics. It's common for race teams to rely on the sway bars for the last bit of fine tuning. They may have ound that their foundational system was a tad oversteery so they deleted the bar. Could have also been a weight reduction intention.
Pcormier66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #16
Pcormier66

Drives: 2019 ZLE
Without the benefit of experimenting with the stop watch this is all bench racing. But I would think that the millions GM spent to fine tune the ZLE should be an indicator that the rear bar is essential to the overall performance in OEM trim, track alignment specs, tires, tire pressure, etc. The ZLE rear bar from the factory is in the medium setting. They gave us one option to stiffen and one to loosen the rear, in an effort to allow owners to find their preferred performance.
More than that and I believe it will adversely influence neutral handling on a stock ZLE.

If you decide to experiment, please lay down baseline laps. Change sway and run comparison laps. That's the only way to know.
Pcormier66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
Ive taken mine off for drag arcing to let the front rotate better, but for DD or road course, it might push on entry and kill the center off.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #18
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Yup! Wanted to see what you guys thought
Firstly: "Way more stable" means different things to different ppl. Maybe Phoenix set it up loose and/or with small bars to start with. Tons of possible variables here, so focusing on a single comment without any broader context is like chasing shadows here. BTW Taking a rear bar out has been a popular mod for wet races for decades. Nothing new here (softer means more grip). But all things being equal, it will introduce a huge push by design (as mentioned already above). Unless the balance is compensated for elsewhere (and it better be done for a specific and good reason).
Fast cars are all about balance and confidence.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #19
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Originally Posted by Zl1+911: Nick and I met a guy (at NJMP) with a completely race prepared ZLE by phoenix racing in PA, that swore that his rear end became way more stable and improved grip with the deletion of the rear SB. Hence the question....
Quote:
Yup! Wanted to see what you guys thought
I think the operative words here might be "completely race prepared". But not in the sense of understeer budget / understeer-oversteer balance or even "stability".

I'm thinking that in a W2W race, once you own the corner it matters less if you're slightly slower midcorner if you can jump off the corner harder.

It's not the same situation at HPDE or time trialing, where your laps are basically qualifying laps on a qualifying line with no position defending or racecraft/strategy involved.

Norm
Old 09-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcormier66 View Post
Without the benefit of experimenting with the stop watch this is all bench racing. But I would think that the millions GM spent to fine tune the ZLE should be an indicator that the rear bar is essential to the overall performance in OEM trim, track alignment specs, tires, tire pressure, etc. The ZLE rear bar from the factory is in the medium setting.
Even for the ZLE, Chevy needs to pay some attention to the ride vs handling balance.

A rather heavily modified car like Nicky's, not so much, and for an all-out W2W racer like the Phoenix cars maybe not at all.

Norm
Old 09-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #21
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I could believe it. Might need some additional tweaks to get the balance just right but it's definitely feasible to do right, especially if it's fully prepped. If you really want to answer the question just take one of the rear links off next time you head out to the track and tell us what it does lol.
Nah...lol 😆
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote