Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
FirstCam17

Drives: '17, 2SS, vert, V8, M6, NF Gray
Unhappy Low Gloss Wheel Paint Fading -- Replacement tied to VIN

I'm 2 1/2 years into my 2017 convertible and am experiencing the fading of the paint on the low gloss aluminum wheels. Went to the dealer (closest one, not the one where I bought the car) and they sent pictures to GM and got approved to replace both front rims. The problem is that this type of replacement is tied to the VIN of the car - - meaning that since I had them swap out the factory silver wheels with the low gloss black ones from another car on the lot, GM can't replace them, because they say they weren't part of the original configuration. The dealer said I had to go back to my point of sale and have them figure out what car they originally came off of, so then new wheels could be ordered under THAT VIN. Has anyone else done a wheel swap at the dealer before taking ownership? Did you run into the same thing?
FirstCam17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
find a car for sale online and use that vin if dealer doesnt want to be bothered. hopefully someone on here has them LPO. This must be why my dealer refused to swap wheels on my new truck.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes JC that’s the reason! The wheels on the vehicle are tied to the VIN and if the wheels are swapped with another one on the lot then the scenario that the Op has posted could happen just like what he is experiencing now. My advice to FirstCam is to get the wheels powder coated or painted on his own and not to try and get GM to warranty them because it looks like it could be a dead end issue after what has been told by the dealer. GM replaced my black wheel on my 2016 SS due to damage from a front end accident and the insurance company had to give the VIN of my 2016 to order from the dealers parts department. The wheel was on backorder for several weeks because the 2016 was only 6 months old and when it showed up the body shop had to send the damaged wheel back to the parts department so they could send it back to GM. To my understanding from some parts folks I know that GM has to have the faulty wheel back if they warranty a new wheel.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i had the same thing happen to my silver wheels on my 5th gen. dealer had all 4 repainted and asked me what color i wanted.
Attached Images

real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
JC, seeing your old 5thgen reminds me of my Cyber Gray 2010 2SS! Miss it sometimes but the ZL1 makes up for it.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
mitdr774

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Based on my experiences, any repair work done at a dealer will be done using the parts that the computer says are correct for the VIN. If replacing parts on your own that come from the dealer, you will need a VIN for the vehicle that has the correct part or need to know the part number or option code for the part. This may sound stupid, but with some vehicles that is the only way to be sure you have the correct part. I am sure there is also a liability issue there.
mitdr774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
This is the reason why dealerships shouldnt swap wheels and tires from one vehicle to the next. The wheels on that car affect its price to some degree and or the package on the vehicle.

Buddy bought a 2015 Camaro RS, he got it home and a month later was going over the GM invoice for the car. He noticed the wheels on the VIN invoice didnt match the ones on his car, he had the basic steel wheels and his invoice said he should of had the nicer black aluminium wheels. So to the dealer he went, they refused until he opened a claim with GM and the states BBB. Then the dealer was all of a sudden wanting to fix the issue.

Prime reason why the dealers should leave the wheels and tires on the vehicle as they come from the factory unless the optional dealer installed wheels are ordered as well.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low gloss paint fade