Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Driving a fast car slow-works with the SS

Used to think thrashing my 4cyl Jetta all over town was more fun than driving sanely in my Camaro SS. Now that I’ve calmed down and drive sanely most of the time aside from the bursts here and there, the low end torque, low ride height, burbling exhaust, and great steering feel still makes this car entertaining/enjoyable to drive slowish. And lately more so to me than driving a slow car fast. I really must be getting old (or wise?).
Old 01-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
a slow car is a slow car. they have their purpose. It doesn't matter how you drive a slow car it doesn't do anything for me. My daily isn't considered fast but its not a 4cyl either. It has its purpose though because when its not getting me to work I'm hauling my cars (if i am not driving them)or my snowmobile somewhere and with 445 hp and 910ftlbs of tq it does just fine but it doesn't get me going like my cars do.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
I do know what you are saying, the same has always been said about bikes (motorcycles) as well. It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow; it is more enjoyable to really be able to stretch the legs on something, without automatically going to jail or dying. As accustomed as we may be to the "basic" LT1 (motor) power, it truly is in a serious category as far as performance capabilities.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #4
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Older and Wiser
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
Rhobz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I'm right there with you.

I have a Honda Civic Si with a good bit of suspension work. I really enjoy driving that thing like its a race car, banging through gears, screeching corners, hitting redline, then looking down and seeing that I am only doing 75mph.

But lately I have also been finding a lot of enjoyment cruising the Camaro around town, letting the exhaust be obnoxious and draw attention, downshifting early to get those good burbles, letting the heavy steering and stiff suspension remind me that I am in a performance oriented machine, without ever really getting too fast other than the occasional throttle mash to get the blood pumping.

I just really love being behind the wheel of the 1LE, whether I am carving canyons or taking my wife to the outlets for a little shopping. I love this car.
Rhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
volnedan

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
aside from the bursts here and there, the low end torque, low ride height, burbling exhaust, and great steering feel still makes this car entertaining/enjoyable to drive slowish
Spot on my friend. Until I discovered the LT1 model, I was looking at getting an S2000 or BRZ in the spring.

But now I enjoy the same sensation too. Few years back I had 340 xdrive auto sedan that I felt I could never enjoy when driving around town, since not many opportunities to ring it out. I had more fun in my previous Audi A4 6MT with ~100hp less.
volnedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol i hate my slow car its my 17 cruze lt and it sucks when i go from driving my camaro back to my daily it sucks cant even pass people in traffic on freeways
Old 01-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #8
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
It's physically easier to drive also from other makes and models. I'm coming from a Subaru Sti and that car was UN-fun to drive in 1st and 2nd gear in traffic or just in town where speed limit was 30. Super jerky. The Camaro is EASY compared to that with the manual 6.
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #9
IceGoaliePaul

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
I used to have a Toyota Yaris with a 1.5L engine and 106HP. While I love the Camaro and would never go back I do miss letting the clutch out at 4500rpm and redlining it off of every (and I mean every) light. I hardly ever get to redline the camaro and even then I'm just not as good at getting the shifts right.
IceGoaliePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #10
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I hear ya.

I do mash the gas on my Camaro at times but just rolling down the road hearing the rumble works for me.
My 2013 Regal GS which is more subtle than my SS gets a beating from time to time and do drive it more aggressively more often. I should be getting over 20mpg on the little 4 cylinder turbo but I am on the gas all the time to hear it whistle so the best I get is about 17.5-18 or so.
Oh well.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #11
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Used to think thrashing my 4cyl Jetta all over town was more fun than driving sanely in my Camaro SS. Now that I’ve calmed down and drive sanely most of the time aside from the bursts here and there, the low end torque, low ride height, burbling exhaust, and great steering feel still makes this car entertaining/enjoyable to drive slowish. And lately more so to me than driving a slow car fast. I really must be getting old (or wise?).
After owning 2 supercharged and one twin turbo Camaro I so agree with you. The CA6 SS (or LT1, I have owned both) just the way it comes from the factory is a blast to drive fast or slow. I Love the way the LT1 torque squirts the car down the road even in a higher gear by just pressing the loud pedal. They are also great on a mountain pass road. Just keep an eye our for tractors around blind corners. With the precise steering you can easily pick a safe but fun line.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #12
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
lol i hate my slow car its my 17 cruze lt and it sucks when i go from driving my camaro back to my daily it sucks cant even pass people in traffic on freeways
Looks like the only thing you hate more is writing actual sentences.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #13
Hyprblu

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Looks like the only thing you hate more is writing actual sentences.
OMG ruthless
Hyprblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #14
Hyprblu

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I thoroughly enjoyed wringing the piss outta my 944, was like driving a go-kart on the street. Could easily and controllably get it sideways anywhere under 30mph. Stuck down when you wanted it to and saved my ass a couple times.... All that being said, it lacked power big time. Was most fun from 5-7k. My 1LE is incredible in every way, does everything well, including slow
Hyprblu is offline   Reply With Quote