Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-29-2020, 05:33 AM   #197
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
wnta1ss: Thanks - speed limiter was adjusted by the JRE tune. Most definitely 5th gear. My math says closer to 6800 rpm, but I was never very good on that subject. Should be good entertainment, eh?
Yes it will be fun for sure!

As far as differences in our estimates, the likely source is tire size. I had a set of SC3s, so I know that they are a little short and make the speedometer read higher. The video of Timbo-1LE at KSC shows this too.

Side note, if you are scanning when you do this, be advised that VCM Scanner does not read VSS above 158mph, it just stops gaining mph in the scanner even though engine rpm is going up. First time that I saw this I was surprised, but searching the HPT forum revealed that this behavior is apparently normal. Not a big deal, just trying to save you a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot reaction.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #198
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
wnta1ss: Not sure if any speedometers are accurate at that speed. I would rely on a GPS read out. Interestingly, I've already noted the 158 max speed with HP Tuners. I ran into the same thing with my 96 model LT4 Corvette and Autotap logger - not sure why they do that.

A question I haven't seen answered is if the PDR speed is more accurate (or the same as the speedometer).

Thanks for the post.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #199
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
A question I haven't seen answered is if the PDR speed is more accurate (or the same as the speedometer).
Likely they are identical. I know that watching the KSC test of the stock SS/1LE, the PDR was showing 174 when he goes through the timing lights. Measured speed was 172, so it's just slightly optimistic. Also have watched a ZL1 video, and it too was just a couple mph up on the PDR from the measured speed.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #200
Tim M

Got this in the mail yesterday:

It is an actual LT4 part from the passenger side auxiliary radiator (outside connection) to the main radiator on the right side. My LT4 conversion kit came with a plastic 90 degree in conjunction with a portion of the LT1 hose to do the same connection.

This will eliminate one hose clamp/plastic adapter of the system. Likely not an issue, but when I performed the install - this juncture leaked - I probably did not tighten it properly.

My logging loops were returning 15 mpg. I won't complain about the fuel consumption...I think quite good for touching 160 mph how many times and 650 HP.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #201
Tim M

Well, car developed a miss - was very slight during warm up after the initial supercharger install. Drove it to work and had a definite miss at warm idle (at 550 mile point). Bummer.

Pulled the plugs and all looked very similar with #1 a bit tanner. Figured I damaged a plug wire or cracked a plug so ordered a complete set of both. Got them after 1.5 weeks and installed.

Car had a bit of an issue cranking...then fired...still with a miss at idle. Did a quick drive - HPTuners showing #1 misfire (yet no CE Light?). No issue at WOT.

Pulled #1 and 3 plug...still tanner than the other. Swapped coils between the two...still #1 misfire. So must be an injector (brand new GM though). I also realized the supercharger cooling system was near empty...hmm.

Pulled the supercharger and got an eyeful of water in #1 port. Bummer.

And the cooling brick dampness:

Appeared to be caused by a damaged o-ring:

Crossing fingers my failure to install the o-ring properly didn't hydraulic the #1 cylinder to failure.

Anyone know the part number of the blue culprit?
Old 04-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #202
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Oh No! All for just a little O ring. You did such a great job with the supercharger install to end up with such a small part tripping you up.

Best wishes for it to be just that O ring with no serious internal damage.

BTW - Although this is my first post in your thread I have followed you journey from stateside to Germany with the car. I really enjoy reading all of your car adventures in Europe.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)

Last edited by SSDan; 04-19-2020 at 04:15 PM.
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #203
Tim M

SSDan: As they say, it is all in the details - hope I don't disappoint! A new engine would take the car down for most of the driving year...although I did work up an estimate last night!

One can see where the o-ring was squiggly in the top hole...I recall having a difficult time with it. I was remiss to not lube it up with oil prior to install:

I reassembled temporarily with no supercharger coolant...I did turn the engine over without a sparkplug in #1 to ensure no water present. Installed a fresh plug and fired right up. No issues on warm up and a short drive returned a smooth idle with few misfires (noticed all cylinders do it from time to time). Crossing fingers no damage.

O-ring is also on the way - easily 2+ weeks due to virus/strike. It is part number: 12608997. It is shared with the LSA engine.

In other news, I put a boost gauge on the car and at top rpm I'm seeing 11+ pounds of boost. The German 98 octane isn't quite sufficient it appears with occasional knock registering on the HPTuners in 5th gear. Jannetty recommended Torco octane booster - so will give that a try for those tanks where I'm planning a track visit or topend run. Seems painful, but @ $20 a can, far cheaper than $120+ a tank for Shell Optimax (100 octane which still might not be enough nor available everywhere).

Currently I'm tuned with 13 degrees of advance at WOT...
Old 04-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #204
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
As far as lubing the "O" ring, might I suggest using vaseline.
It will disappear once over 100º and won't leave any residue, and no danger of swelling the "O" ring.
Used vaseline to hold thrust washers, check balls, and such, while rebuilding automatic transmissions back when I worked at Buick. You can't have stuff floating around in a trans and expect it to work.
Vaseline will vanish once the car is running.

Check this for "octane booster"...
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

I've made the xylene brew as toulene isn't in stores near here.

(Note: Prices are quite old.)

Quote:
Richard Lassiter's "How to Mix Your Own Brew"

FORMULA 1
Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.

FORMULA 5
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #205
Tim M

Boost Creep: Great idea on the vaseline. Obviously, anything would have been better than saliva! Ha. The brick installs at an odd angle...slides into the holes as you press it down. Nonetheless, I will be more careful this time around and use the proper lube.

The home brewed octane booster recipes are intriguing! May have some sourcing challenges on the German economy (if for no other reason a foreign language!) May have to give some thought to the mixes...thanks for sharing.

I'm a little disappointed the German gas isn't more tolerant. Then again, we are talking 11.5 CR which just a few years ago was at the extreme edge of pump fuel naturally aspirated - come a long way.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #206
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Boost Creep: Great idea on the vaseline. Obviously, anything would have been better than saliva! Ha. The brick installs at an odd angle...slides into the holes as you press it down. Nonetheless, I will be more careful this time around and use the proper lube.

The home brewed octane booster recipes are intriguing! May have some sourcing challenges on the German economy (if for no other reason a foreign language!) May have to give some thought to the mixes...thanks for sharing.

I'm a little disappointed the German gas isn't more tolerant. Then again, we are talking 11.5 CR which just a few years ago was at the extreme edge of pump fuel naturally aspirated - come a long way.
Is meth an option?
I have a feeling it isn't, just a thought though.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #207
Tim M

Boost Creep: USPS shopped octane booster...meth possibly too? Nonetheless, rather just keep it simple with a can in the tank when I need 160+ mph. :-) Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 05-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #208
Tim M

Happy Friday due to o-ring arrival via USPS!

Saturday morning - off the blower came...correctly lubricated o-ring installed and reassemble.

How we do it in Germany...with no one to assist:

Quick test drive returned full power and cool IAT's.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:47 AM   #209
Tim M

Success - the LT4 supercharged LT1 survived its first visit to the Ring!

US forces were allowed to expand travel within the country...next day, I pointed the car west for the Ring. Arrived 1 minuted after opening and 6th car on track! Perfect timing after 3 hours of driving distance...

6 laps - very rusty at driving this car so happy no guardrails were kissed. 4 of the 6 laps were accommodating a fellow motorist that was having a bad day - large oil leak...unfortunately, they continued to drive 5 of the 20 kms laying down a nice trail on the right side. Not so smart/considerate! Especially, if you caused the leak - you pay for the damage to everyone's car!

Being forced to slow down was likely a good thing as I had to knock the rust off my amateur skills...hadn't driven this car with gusto since last September and now with 40% more power. I was elated when I knocked out 6 trouble free laps and hit the road by 1030 for Stuttgart.

Power is incredible along with an exhaust note that is downright evil - only change to the car was the addition of the OEM LT4 supercharger (LT4 fueling) and required tune. I gained a full 10 mph where I had the guts to stay in the throttle (~165 mph with a jump!). The engine just slices thru the rpm...drastically different than naturally aspirated. My normal technique of long braking distances are being tested with much more straightaway speed...

Reviewed the logs and only a hint of knock which didn't seem to correlate with high load. Admittedly, I filled with 98 Esso and added a can of Torco octane booster - should have equaled US octane of ~96 or so.

The gear change ups are quite a solid kick in the rear! First experience with a supercharged car and a positive displacement model at that. The engine simply feels like an athletic 8 liter V8 with very high compression (or what I think it would feel like). 11.5 compression and 11 pounds of boost likely contribute to the sharper exhaust note - quite a contrast to my previous turbo Subaru...

Since I still had some good fuel in the tank on the way home...I took advantage of all the unrestricted areas - downshifting to third and letting it go! New personal top speed...

Old 05-10-2020, 02:38 AM   #210
Tim M

Nice fun shot of an (nearly?) airborne 1LE...

Photographers don't seem to frequent this area of the Nurburgring, but luck would have it yesterday.

Note this is under braking into a 3rd gear hard right-hander - the ABS seems to be ok with it! Quite a thrill...1 of 3 times you feel the car get light during a lap.

Obviously unique for a car to intentionally jump with no damage...this track works the suspension! Only other place I've been that does something similar is Cadwell Park in UK...they have one roller hill that is quite famous - but much slower speeds and under acceleration.

Last edited by Tim M; 05-12-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote