Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #29
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Hmm another bearing failure. My #6 bearing detonated with 18.5k miles on it causing similar damage. How many miles did you have on it?
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #30
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
A quick FYI: running sphericals on the street, way dirtier and way more miles than the track only, can collect fine dust and grit and grind them leaving them loose.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #31
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Or, if you race in Arizona, on the actual track itself. :(
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #32
jcocke23

Drives: '17 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
Hmm another bearing failure. My #6 bearing detonated with 18.5k miles on it causing similar damage. How many miles did you have on it?

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
jcocke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #33
jcocke23

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
A quick FYI: running sphericals on the street, way dirtier and way more miles than the track only, can collect fine dust and grit and grind them leaving them loose.
Excellent point! I'm sure thats why the OEM sphericals on the Camaro have the rubber boots. I'm not going full change out to sphericals yet. Its not a race car, but it is used on the track more than the street.

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 08-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #34
jcocke23

Couple of videos today while working on the Camaro...just a quick overview of all the rear suspension links, as well as my installation of the BMR Lockout kit.

Gen 6 Lockout Kit

Control Arm Overview

PS, I suck at this stuff...have to use my 11 year old to help me the whole time!

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube

Last edited by jcocke23; 08-23-2020 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 08-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #35
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcocke23 View Post

Just some advice for everyone running e85. Change your oil, OFTEN. Consider having an oil analysis done. Run a good oil designed for e85. Consider running a notch thicker than the manual suggests for heavy tracking. Don't run the e85 all the time...run some POG (plain ole gas) through it everyone couple tanks or so.
Interesting point, but how would e85 affect the oil? Unless it could be that AFR was too rich at that point, so that maybe too much fuel ended up in the oil sump and caused dilution?
BtW: Which oil brand / oil grade were you running on when the damage occurred?
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #36
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Interesting point, but how would e85 affect the oil? Unless it could be that AFR was too rich at that point, so that maybe too much fuel ended up in the oil sump and caused dilution?
BtW: Which oil brand / oil grade were you running on when the damage occurred?
e85 by nature runs much richer, GDI blasts fuel right at the pistons/rings/cylinder walls, e85 doesn't evaporate in the crankcase like gasoline, this leaves you with contaminated oil.

I asked already, he was running Valvoline MST 5w40 dexos2.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #37
Eldi Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
e85 by nature runs much richer, GDI blasts fuel right at the pistons/rings/cylinder walls, e85 doesn't evaporate in the crankcase like gasoline, this leaves you with contaminated oil.

I asked already, he was running Valvoline MST 5w40 dexos2.
Alright. Got it. I never used mixes of eXX as part of my fueling programs, either pure 93 or additional 25-30% of Toluene, when I had to raise Octane levels due to timing advance requests.
So my understanding is that using e as part of the fueling program can be quite risky.
Thanks for filling me in on the oil that was used - The variety of Dexos2 / ACEA C3 / BMW LL-04 / VW 505.01, Etc. formulas are usually mid/low SAPS, which potentially have less of a lubrication effect, however, on the other hand ,with the advantage of strong detergents, which can better fight off carbon/sludge build-ups. These kind of formulas are especially useful in keeping GDI engines cleaner (and CATs / DPFs as well)
Old 08-24-2020, 08:49 PM   #38
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Alright. Got it. I never used mixes of eXX as part of my fueling programs, either pure 93 or additional 25-30% of Toluene, when I had to raise Octane levels due to timing advance requests.
So my understanding is that using e as part of the fueling program can be quite risky.
Thanks for filling me in on the oil that was used - The variety of Dexos2 / ACEA C3 / BMW LL-04 / VW 505.01, Etc. formulas are usually mid/low SAPS, which potentially have less of a lubrication effect, however, on the other hand ,with the advantage of strong detergents, which can better fight off carbon/sludge build-ups. These kind of formulas are especially useful in keeping GDI engines cleaner (and CATs / DPFs as well)
There were a few times I made "octane booster" but could never find Toluene locally and had to use Xylene.
Didn't think many knew the old octane recipes back from the Turbo Buicks in the '80's and '90's.

When OP originally posted the carnage I was curious which oil was used, same oil I'm running right now.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #39
Eldi Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
There were a few times I made "octane booster" but could never find Toluene locally and had to use Xylene.
Didn't think many knew the old octane recipes back from the Turbo Buicks in the '80's and '90's.

When OP originally posted the carnage I was curious which oil was used, same oil I'm running right now.
Xylene has a similar effect as Toluene and has a slightly higher Octane rating too. It costs a little more though.
Regarding the oil: Change it as often as you can (try not to exceed 5K Miles) and you should never have an issue with proper lubrication. Any reputable brand you decide to use is fine - not so critical, as long as it is up to Spec.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #40
jcocke23

Here is a little update...installed the Vorshlag camber plates and a little overview/install video here.

Still waiting on the motor from Katech.

Ordered the AWE Touring Catback to help eliminate some of the raspiness (sp?) of the stock NPP with LTs.

This week I plan to install the AEM wideband and wrap the airbox and filter tube...stay tuned!

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 11-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #41
jcocke23

Been a while since I posted an update to the build, but I have been making progress. Still waiting on the engine from Katech, but that hasn't stopped me from doing other things. Check out the videos for the suspension upgrades, Fire suppression system, and the AWE Exhaust! They are all on the Track Carz youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/DI2V2xOnEjg

https://youtu.be/qywduxPMR0k

https://youtu.be/UGcHH4Luu4Q

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube