Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
jcocke23

Drives: '17 1LE
Added some BWR rear Toe Links while I have time. Like a lot of people that track their Gen 6s, I noticed my rear toe changing between alignments. Nothing major but it would drift. The oem torque-to-yield bolts, combined with the eccentric adjuster, don't seem to stay put for track use.

I installed new hardware and retorqued them to OEM specs. I really like the lock-out feature of the new links...they eliminate the eccentric adjustment. Instead, the adjustment is handled by adjusting the length of the toe link, just like a tie rod setup in the front.

I used the oem lengths to set the length of the new BMR pieces...just run one of the long bolts through both and adjust as necessary to get the holes all squared up. Of course I will be doing a full alignment when everything goes back together, but this should get me half way close.

Check out the video below to show how compliant (or sloppy) the oem bushings are...makes me wonder how many other bushings are this soft...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iJc...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Images

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
jcocke23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #16
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubi View Post
But what do you do between track days? The 15w50 isn't recommended for street use.
Change it out. If I'm not mistaken the manual mentions you can use the 15w50 for track but to change it after.
Just chalk it up to being an expendable cost of a track day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Yea, like I drive 5 plus hours to get to the track. I used to run the 5-40 Valv MST for 3 years. His issue may not have had anything to do with oil. From what I've seen, these engines have quite the range of acceptable internal machining specs and require substantial machine work to get them up to snuff if you're gonna build one. Maybe that's typical of all Ford/GM/Mopar V8's. That constant high rpm load for extended periods may have just been all it needed. It does make me think twice about going E85 on this car, but I wouldn't have been running it during HPDE anyway. Rods and pistons are the known "weak" point in these. My 99 TA spun a rod bearing making 430rwhp. Seems they haven't really stepped up in the bottom end.
If it was a failure of a rod bolt or something else then the oil has little to do with this, but if the bearing contacted the crank due to insufficient oil barrier causing it to spin the bearing, then I think a sturdier oil in the middle of summer would help.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:30 PM   #17
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcocke23 View Post
Added some BWR rear Toe Links while I have time. Like a lot of people that track their Gen 6s, I noticed my rear toe changing between alignments. Nothing major but it would drift. The oem torque-to-yield bolts, combined with the eccentric adjuster, don't seem to stay put for track use.

I installed new hardware and retorqued them to OEM specs. I really like the lock-out feature of the new links...they eliminate the eccentric adjustment. Instead, the adjustment is handled by adjusting the length of the toe link, just like a tie rod setup in the front.

I used the oem lengths to set the length of the new BMR pieces...just run one of the long bolts through both and adjust as necessary to get the holes all squared up. Of course I will be doing a full alignment when everything goes back together, but this should get me half way close.

Check out the video below to show how compliant (or sloppy) the oem bushings are...makes me wonder how many other bushings are this soft...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iJc...ew?usp=sharing
Looks like a huge improvement over stock, looks right at home back there.

Have you looked into the solid rear cradle bushings? Suppose to take a lot of "slop" out of the rear end.
A member, TRZ06 iirc, had them installed and couldn't stop going on about how much they helped.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #18
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Do those cradle bushings affect the daily driving in any way? Those arms look very nice.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #19
jcocke23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Looks like a huge improvement over stock, looks right at home back there.

Have you looked into the solid rear cradle bushings? Suppose to take a lot of "slop" out of the rear end.
A member, TRZ06 iirc, had them installed and couldn't stop going on about how much they helped.
Yea I've got the lockout kit on the way from BMR, its on backorder. Tomorrow I'm gonna take a couple control arms loose to see how much play is in those rubber bushings too. If its anything like the toe links, I'm switching those out to sphericals.

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 08-16-2020, 06:55 AM   #20
jcocke23

Quote:
Do those cradle bushings affect the daily driving in any way? Those arms look very nice.
I don’t really see how they would much since they aren’t in the load path of the suspension. I could see it maybe transferring more vibration over harsh impacts, but everyone who has installed them swears by them. My car is primarily a track car so the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 08-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #21
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Quote:
I haven't done it to my 1LE, but I mounted the IRS subframe to the chassis of my Terminator using UHMW bushings. No negative effects from it, all positives. Your suspension is supposed to control and soak up impacts, not the subframe bushings. On the control arms I used delrin bushing which also help a lot, but are noisy if you don't install grease fittings at the same time. Also used aluminum shims to set the rearend angle with the driveshaft. Other than the added harmonics from the control arm bushings everything was improved. Almost total eliminated my wheel hop issues, got ride on the vibration many Terminators experience at 80 MPH do to incorrect pinion angle on the DS, made the IRS feel solid, and like it was supposed to be there and not be just some added on afterthought.

Of course a GEN6 Camaro rides on a much better platform and suspension setup than a SN95 Mustang, but that doesn't mean that you can't improve on it in certain area's.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #22
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Wow. I was just running at VIR last week in my SS 1LE.. glad my experience didn’t end that way. I feel bad for you brother. I am looking forward to your build thread though. I’ve kept mine stock due to the warranty. Seems to handle that track just fine while in stock form. Never seen any concerning engine, trans, differential, brake, tire, or other temps while monitoring them between sessions. I’m most likely not running the car as hard as you either though.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #23
jcocke23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak-Toy View Post
Wow. I was just running at VIR last week in my SS 1LE.. glad my experience didn’t end that way. I feel bad for you brother. I am looking forward to your build thread though. I’ve kept mine stock due to the warranty. Seems to handle that track just fine while in stock form. Never seen any concerning engine, trans, differential, brake, tire, or other temps while monitoring them between sessions. I’m most likely not running the car as hard as you either though.
Yes, I agree, these cars are amazing. I've tracked a few things, but these cars are insanely good, especially when you consider their size and HP potential. I had never had any temp issues, or oiling issues, or anything until my motor let go. But I love the car too much to be persuaded to go to another platform. I chalk it up to bad luck and possibly oil dilution from e85.

My next target event is VIR in November with Track Daze. I'd like to keep building the Camaro community at the track. I believe there was half a dozen 6 gens at VIR with SCCA last month when my motor let go. I love seeing these things on track, passing Mustang GT350s and Porsche 911s

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 08-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #24
Trak-Toy

I agree completely with your assessment of the 6gen SS 1LE on track. These cars handle so damned well it defies logic. It shouldn’t be able to handle like this being this big, but it does. I saw at least 5, SS 1LE’s on track last week. More and more people are seeing for themselves just how good a car this thing is, especially at this price point. I’ll be there with Track Daze in November so hopefully I get to see you car there, with the new engine build!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #25
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcocke23 View Post
Hey guys,

Why a build thread? Well last month my Camaro engine blew while on track. The car was a full bolt on car, running e85...it let go without any warning, spun a rod bearing as best I can tell and grenaded the whole motor. I found pieces of connecting rod and piston in the intake manifold. When I pulled the heads off, I was missing the #7 and #8 connecting rods, the #7 piston, and the complete lower half of the #8 piston. Block was destroyed, head was destroyed, but luckily it never punctured the block and sprayed hot oil on the headers.

I chose Katech to supply a forged bottom end along with all the other parts to complete the final assembly. I'll be doing the final assembly and documenting as best I can lol. I'll also be upgrading some suspension and brake stuff along the way while I have so much taken apart.

Here are a few pics of the carnage, the disassembly, and the youtube link of the PDR to the car behind me when the motor let go.

https://youtu.be/rw_H9Fvb8pk
Bad news but on the other hand, you are about to get one of the best motor builds out there - Katech. Definitely a huge hardware upgrade to look forward to.
You mention full bolt-ons + e85. I guess that the motor was tuned. Who was the tuner and were you aware about the parameters (I.E Timing advance, Injectors duty, Fuel pressure, Etc.) this tuner used to construct the file?
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:57 PM   #26
jcocke23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Bad news but on the other hand, you are about to get one of the best motor builds out there - Katech. Definitely a huge hardware upgrade to look forward to.
You mention full bolt-ons + e85. I guess that the motor was tuned. Who was the tuner and were you aware about the parameters (I.E Timing advance, Injectors duty, Fuel pressure, Etc.) this tuner used to construct the file?
Yes the motor was professionally tuned by a very reputable tuner on this board, and ran great for a couple years. I'd rather not say the name b/c I don't want him associated with this issue -- I truly think it wasn't the tune. I have HP Tuners and I went into the file several times just to check things out. I had it on my own dyno, made 470-475ish to the wheels with a near perfect AFR.

A little more data on the engine right before it blew. The oil temps rose about 30 degrees in a half a lap when I wasn't driving hard. They went from 265ish to almost 300. I NEVER saw oil temps higher than 270 in the 3 years I have been tracking this car. That's indicative of the motor tightening up with increased friction. The Number 7 and 8 rod bearings were burnt up badly.

Just some advice for everyone running e85. Change your oil, OFTEN. Consider having an oil analysis done. Run a good oil designed for e85. Consider running a notch thicker than the manual suggests for heavy tracking. Don't run the e85 all the time...run some POG (plain ole gas) through it everyone couple tanks or so.

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 08-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #27
jcocke23

Here are a few pics of the interior mods. Fitted a Sabelt GT3 seat on a Planted mount, OMP side mounts, and OMP sliders. Most likely will mirror this setup on the passenger side. Not shown are Sabelt 6 point harnesses.

Also are pics of the roll bar I made. The front two mounting points tie into the backbone area of the interior, just behind the front seats where all the flooring comes together. This looks like the strongest point on the interior for the main hoop points. Then I made removable rear diagonals that tie into the floor where the seat back sheetmetal and flooring come together. I'll try to get better pics of this now that everything is installed.
Attached Images

Track Carz LLC on:
FB, IG, and youtube
Old 08-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #28
Trak-Toy

Very nice! That cars’ going to be a beast!