Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
chargerjake

Drives: 2017 2LT
Falcon RS – 2017 Camaro V6 RS Build Log

Introducing FALCON, my 2017 Camaro RS. Named after the US Air Force's F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter jet, she's a Nightfall Gray 2LT equipped with the RS Package, Technology Package, Convenience & Lighting Package, and Adrenaline Red leather interior.

I got the car in June, however I didn't decide to start a build log until into the middle of December. I'm currently in high school right now so most of these mods are either pipe dreams or something I'll need sponsorships for. Maybe I'll run into a few extra bucks here and there. Regardless of whether or not I mod it, I'm extremely blessed to own a car of this quality at such a young age.

I decided to post my build log for this car because it seems like not a lot of people have the V6. Most people post logs of the 2.0T and the 6.2L, but I don't see many people with the 3.6. Maybe it's due to the lack of aftermarket mods (hint hint manufacturers), or maybe they just aren't selling that great. I bought the V6 because it was the best of both worlds for the current Camaro models. If you're here to tell me that I should have bought a 1SS because the 2LT is "overpriced," many other factors were involved besides the fact that it was just a V8, for instance, insurance for a high schooler. Every pony car owner has one thing in common, no matter the engine cylinders: we all bought something we liked. Just clearing that up!

Anyway, here's my plan for this car. Because it's named after a fighter jet, I want to make it very aggressive, yet daily-drivable because I don't own any other cars if this one breaks.

Cosmetic Mods:
C7Carbon 1LE Style Carbon Fiber Spoiler
C7Carbon ZL1 Style Carbon Fiber Side Skirts
C7Carbon ZL1 Style Carbon Fiber Front Splitter (yes, it fits the RS)
Anderson Composites Carbon Fiber Rear Valance (Quad Tip)
River City Creations Custom Bowties and RS Badges (Nightfall Gray, Mosaic Black, Red Hot)
GM SEMA Grille with Red Inserts
GM Dark Finish Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light
Diode Dynamics LED Sidemarkers
Powder Coat Wheels Black (currently silver)
Eibach Lowering Springs (.6" front, .9" rear)

Performance Mods:
Borla Atak Catback (Quad Tip, No NPP)
GM Cold Air Intake
High Flow Cats/Headers/whatever LGX has (if anyone ever makes any for LGX )
IPF LGX Tune (claims 366hp/295lbft for stage 2, don't know whether or not it includes the HP gained from those mods. Stage one (stock) claims 350hp/282lbft)

Completed Mods:
MGP Caliper Covers (Red, RS Logo)
Phastek Turn Signal Blackout
Phastek LED Reverse Lights
Phastek LED License Plate Lights
Removed Front Air Dams

More pictures are available on my Instagram (@falcon.rs), and I'll be posting more on this thread as the build progresses. Thank you for reading...have a great day!

Last edited by chargerjake; 12-18-2017 at 03:35 PM.
chargerjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
chargerjake

Drives: 2017 2LT
Autodip Review

After I got the car, I decided I wanted the rims to be black. I didn't want to plastidip because it's matte and looks rubbery and cheap. I did some researching online, and decided that I should use a product called Autodip. It's like PlastiDip, but it's supposed to be vinyl based and give a gloss finish when applied.

I bought one can for each wheel, which was the recommended amount. For complex wheel designs, they recommend buying an extra can. I bought six cans, and after I applied it there wasn't a gloss finish, even though I bought gloss black. It didn't look like PlastiDip though; it was more of a "forged" shiny matte. Hard to explain. I thought it looked cool, so I left it on.

Fast forward a few months (I applied in August), and I'm realizing that because it's not glossy, or for whatever reason, this stuff picks up dirt, grime, brake dust, and even small rocks. Usually the rocks come out, but because of the finish it's hard to scrub it off. Over time, more and more dust got caked in, and I decided it was time to remove it. Last Wednesday I came home to a tear in the Autodip on one of the spokes, so I figured then was the perfect time to remove it; I'd be able to get it off fast and clean the wheels up.

Of course that's not how it went.

This stuff was sticking to the wheels so hard it was almost like actual paint. Some peeled off like it was supposed to, only to rip and tear if I pulled it in the wrong direction. I don't think I got any pieces off that were larger than like 2 square inches. Now that was on the FACE of the wheel. In between the spokes, it was apparently applied so thin, it's solidified on the wheels. I've tried the "thin plastidip" removal tricks, like Goo Gone, WD-40, pressure washing, and nothing happens to it. My center caps are the worst. I practically had to break my thumbnail in order to scrape one 3 square inch plastic center cap of this crud. Finally, after three hours of scraping, my front left wheel was complete (except for the inside of the rim).

I've scraped it off two wheels, and the other two have some in the spokes still. I've contacted them and I'm hoping to get some sort of compensation to have the wheels sanded and powder coated because of the scratching all over the wheels. If anything, I hope to get my $100 worth of plastic paint back. I would not recommend this at all.

Well hey, live and learn. Don't cheap out on parts
chargerjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
MyneS
STORM

Drives: 2021 Satin Steel Metallic 2SS
Outstanding! Yes one good lesson is you get what you pay for...I initially went a different route on the wheels which took a great deal of effort to remove. Great name for your Camaro too...keep up the mods.

Check out: The creation of STORM
American Authority Front Bumper, ACS Rockers, GM Dark taillights, ZL1 Carbon Fiber interior dash, Engine Bay “red hot” Dress Up, 6LE Skorpion hood, Borla ATAK w Xpipes (TRADED)
MyneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Camarão

Drives: 2018 Black LS1 with RS Package
Hey Falcon,

What is the final 'settle' look and feedback on the 20' RS wheels with the Eibach? also, did you do any additional alignment?
2014 Lexus IS250, Auto, F Sport
2010 Mazda 3, 6-Speed, Sport Hatchback
2006 Mazda Miata, 6-Speed Retractable Hardtop
2001 Mazda Protege5, 5-Speed
Camarão is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, camaro v6, gray, lgx, nightfall