Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Gen5DIY


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #5237
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 13,028
The SS is not going to creep down in price anytime soon in my opinion. Its like a rare jewel now...like a Pontiac G8 GXP. Look at the prices on those things. The SS is going to remain a highly valuable car.

A part of me wishes I'd have found a good slightly used model, or gotten one of those killer red tag deals on a new SS instead of my Camaro SS back when I got it....if it had the LT1 instead of the LS3, and/or slightly more aggressive or unique styling I'd really be kicking my own butt right now.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #5238
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Fen whats the deal with the ATS? Are they really that bad or did the few people that had problems complain everywhere? I'm looking at buying a used Sedan in the 18,000$ range and the ATS was high on my list till I did some looking. Looks like I should stick with the 3.6L?(Which is what I wanted to begin with) I drove a 14 V6 yesterday and it seemed pretty nice. The price just seems pathetically low which is a win for me, but my Camaro is holding value better which surprises me... I'm looking at 14'-15' ATS's with only 20,000 miles on the odometer. Whoever bought these didn't drive them much.

I'd love to have a Chevy SS, but they haven't creeped down in price enough. And I need a vehicle now. :(
I know you asked Fen, so I hope you and he do not mind me taking a swing at this. What’s the deal with the ATS? Nothing. Some customers complain about the rear seat accommodation, but considering it is targeted to compete directly with BMW 3-Series, which also has its share of rear seat complaints....

What is happening with ATS is it is being replaced by an evolutionary product that will not carry the same name. To some of the press, particularly the broader press that is NOT car-centric, “Cadillac is dropping the ATS”. To those pressers who dig just a little deeper...”Cadillac is discontinuing the ATS that is built on the Alpha architecture. Its replacement will be a new vehicle, following the new Cadillac naming convention. This replacement is expected to be built off of the improved Alpha 2 architecture”
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | Thinkware F750 front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties |Novistretch bra and mirror covers |Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #5239
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,768
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Fen whats the deal with the ATS? Are they really that bad or did the few people that had problems complain everywhere? I'm looking at buying a used Sedan in the 18,000$ range and the ATS was high on my list till I did some looking. Looks like I should stick with the 3.6L?(Which is what I wanted to begin with) I drove a 14 V6 yesterday and it seemed pretty nice. The price just seems pathetically low which is a win for me, but my Camaro is holding value better which surprises me... I'm looking at 14'-15' ATS's with only 20,000 miles on the odometer. Whoever bought these didn't drive them much.

I'd love to have a Chevy SS, but they haven't creeped down in price enough. And I need a vehicle now. :(

Nothing's wrong with it really. It's just a luxury car and luxury cars depreciate like hell to begin with, plus ATS has found its way into rental fleets which never helps resale value.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:45 AM   #5240
Martinjlm
Retired from GM
 
Martinjlm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Fen whats the deal with the ATS? Are they really that bad or did the few people that had problems complain everywhere? I'm looking at buying a used Sedan in the 18,000$ range and the ATS was high on my list till I did some looking. Looks like I should stick with the 3.6L?(Which is what I wanted to begin with) I drove a 14 V6 yesterday and it seemed pretty nice. The price just seems pathetically low which is a win for me, but my Camaro is holding value better which surprises me... I'm looking at 14'-15' ATS's with only 20,000 miles on the odometer. Whoever bought these didn't drive them much.

I'd love to have a Chevy SS, but they haven't creeped down in price enough. And I need a vehicle now. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Nothing's wrong with it really. It's just a luxury car and luxury cars depreciate like hell to begin with, plus ATS has found its way into rental fleets which never helps resale value.
And Fen answers the REAL question while I go get another cup of coffee and work on my reading comprehension skills.
__________________
2017 CAMARO FIFTY SS CONVERTIBLE
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | Thinkware F750 front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties |Novistretch bra and mirror covers |Tow hitch for bicycle rack |


Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #5241
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,688
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I just expected a Caddy to hold it's value a little better than that. Saw a lot of complaints on the 2.0T, something about piston failure, and the Cue/touchscreen was garbage. I just noticed the CTS's are in the same price range as well for used. Looks like I'm gonna drive one of those today as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The SS is not going to creep down in price anytime soon in my opinion. Its like a rare jewel now...like a Pontiac G8 GXP. Look at the prices on those things. The SS is going to remain a highly valuable car.

A part of me wishes I'd have found a good slightly used model, or gotten one of those killer red tag deals on a new SS instead of my Camaro SS back when I got it....if it had the LT1 instead of the LS3, and/or slightly more aggressive or unique styling I'd really be kicking my own butt right now.
This is the cheapest SS I've found. Honestly tempting, but I know I won't drive this during the winter. And I'd be stuck with the same problem. I need a sporty 4 door that I just won't care about melting slowly over time with salt. Just trying to get the newest thing I can without spending a fortune because I know what cars look like after a few winters. :( My old winter beater has rusted apart. Luckily I work with a good company and they are letting me use the company truck till I get a vehicle figured out.

Any other suggestions are welcomed in my price range. Prefer something with all wheel drive.
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #5242
90503


 
90503's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 12,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I just expected a Caddy to hold it's value a little better than that. Saw a lot of complaints on the 2.0T, something about piston failure, and the Cue/touchscreen was garbage. I just noticed the CTS's are in the same price range as well for used. Looks like I'm gonna drive one of those today as well.



This is the cheapest SS I've found. Honestly tempting, but I know I won't drive this during the winter. And I'd be stuck with the same problem. I need a sporty 4 door that I just won't care about melting slowly over time with salt. Just trying to get the newest thing I can without spending a fortune because I know what cars look like after a few winters. :( My old winter beater has rusted apart. Luckily I work with a good company and they are letting me use the company truck till I get a vehicle figured out.

Any other suggestions are welcomed in my price range. Prefer something with all wheel drive.
Go Impala...lol...Good reviews, FWD, 6cyl, plenty of room and probably plenty cheap for newer used ones! Good luck...

Name:  impala2.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  91.9 KB

Sorry, can't pass up a chance to post one of my Impala pics....lol....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #5243
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,688
Forgot about Impalas, I'll take a look.

EDIT: That's got to be one of the ugliest steering wheels in the business.
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #5244
JhonnyGTR
 
Drives: Future 2019 Camaro SS 1LE Crush Ora
Join Date: May 2018
Location: San Pedro De Macorís
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
And Fen answers the REAL question while I go get another cup of coffee and work on my reading comprehension skills.
:v...
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #5245
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 21,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Go Impala...lol...Good reviews, FWD, 6cyl, plenty of room and probably plenty cheap for newer used ones! Good luck...

Attachment 935844

Sorry, can't pass up a chance to post one of my Impala pics....lol....
I agree, Impala’s are beautiful cars, well equipped and very comfortable. You can find them fairly cheap right now too. I had a 2014 LTZ. Only reason we got rid of it was after my mother in law passed away we no longer needed it. Sometimes I regret it though.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...
The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #5246
ssrs2lt


 
ssrs2lt's Avatar
 
Drives: too many
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: oh va pa ma tx
Posts: 2,947
I was exploring ATS as well I guess great minds think a like..
__________________
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #5247
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 35,768
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Any other suggestions are welcomed in my price range. Prefer something with all wheel drive.

XTS? Everyone likes to dump on it because it's supposedly reminiscent of the "old GM's Cadillac" just because it's FWD based, but it's an excellent car.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #5248
Jason@JacFab
 
Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Point, OR
Posts: 5,623
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I'm looking at buying a used Sedan in the 18,000$ range

I'd love to have a Chevy SS, but they haven't creeped down in price enough. And I need a vehicle now. :(
I was going to buy an SS once upon a time, I just couldn't justify the cost... then I started looking at G8 GXP's, almost pulled the trigger on one for about the same cost as that cheapest SS you found... So I guess that tells you the GXP and maybe the SS also, will hold its value decently in theory.

I finally settled on an 08 G8 GT... It wasn't a manual transmission like the GXP or SS i wanted, but the cost was justifiable. I paid 16,650 private party for my first G8 GT about 3 years ago with 72k miles on it. I sold it a month ago for 14k with just under 100k miles on it. Paid the loan off on the car, and had about 8k left in my pocket. I just picked up another 08 G8 GT last week for $6500 w/ 132k on it, but only 30k on a brand new engine. drives like a dream, its a total cream puff too

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is if you like the SS, consider a G8 GT, you can get one of the lower mileage ones for your price range, buddy of mine just paid 18k for a 09 with 60k miles on it. With the money you'll save on the G8 GT vs the GXP or SS, you can spend some cash on mods and make it just as fast, or faster if you're into that kind of thing. That's how I was able to justify it lol
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #5249
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 23,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
I was exploring ATS as well I guess great minds think a like..
For sure I test drove the heck out of a 15' yesterday with only 23,000 miles. Only wanted 17k for it. Seemed like a good car. I'm just trying to weed out the lemons and increase my chances of getting one that lasts. Also eyeing CTS's now since they are going for around the same. But I like something a little smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
XTS? Everyone likes to dump on it because it's supposedly reminiscent of the "old GM's Cadillac" just because it's FWD based, but it's an excellent car.
I'll look at some XTS's. FWD won't be bad for winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I was going to buy an SS once upon a time, I just couldn't justify the cost... then I started looking at G8 GXP's, almost pulled the trigger on one for about the same cost as that cheapest SS you found... So I guess that tells you the GXP and maybe the SS also, will hold its value decently in theory.

I finally settled on an 08 G8 GT... It wasn't a manual transmission like the GXP or SS i wanted, but the cost was justifiable. I paid 16,650 private party for my first G8 GT about 3 years ago with 72k miles on it. I sold it a month ago for 14k with just under 100k miles on it. Paid the loan off on the car, and had about 8k left in my pocket. I just picked up another 08 G8 GT last week for $6500 w/ 132k on it, but only 30k on a brand new engine. drives like a dream, its a total cream puff too

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is if you like the SS, consider a G8 GT, you can get one of the lower mileage ones for your price range, buddy of mine just paid 18k for a 09 with 60k miles on it. With the money you'll save on the G8 GT vs the GXP or SS, you can spend some cash on mods and make it just as fast, or faster if you're into that kind of thing. That's how I was able to justify it lol
I didn't like the G8's as much as the SS. The SS just felt more refined to me. Especially the interior. But everybody thinks the G8 and the SS are the exact same thing, so they will hold value just as well.
__________________
I am seriously never serious vv V vv Next order of business
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #5250
ssrs2lt


 
ssrs2lt's Avatar
 
Drives: too many
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: oh va pa ma tx
Posts: 2,947
Appreciate the info will expand to CTS ..
__________________
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.