Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #15
sonikk71

Drives: 2017 Summit White V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsblueblood View Post
They have are renting a v6 to make a prototype if it doesn’t make their goal horsepower then they will not put it in production, because of the time and money spent they want to see good results, i wouldn’t blame them.
Did they say what their HP/TQ target is in hour conversation with them? I am curious what it is.
sonikk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #16
Rsblueblood
Kywildcats

Drives: 2020 2SS shock and steel (shocker)
I would imagine maybe 10hp since that is what they claimed on the 5th gens but no they disn’t say.
Rsblueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #17
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Anyone else hear any news regarding the V6 intake. After 4 months, with no new information, it's looking like Roto-fab still isn't terribly concerned about taking money from the V6 owners.

I installed a GM CAI on my 18, but ended up returning it to the dealership, after finding out that GM hasn't bothered to release the reflash for the 18 model year V6. It sure sucks that no one seems to want to help out the V6 owners that have been asking for performance parts.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #18
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker75 View Post
Anyone else hear any news regarding the V6 intake. After 4 months, with no new information, it's looking like Roto-fab still isn't terribly concerned about taking money from the V6 owners.

I installed a GM CAI on my 18, but ended up returning it to the dealership, after finding out that GM hasn't bothered to release the reflash for the 18 model year V6. It sure sucks that no one seems to want to help out the V6 owners that have been asking for performance parts.
I think they just realized that nearly any intake you install without a tune is just going to give erratic numbers and eventually throw a check engine light so people will just return it. If these cars weren't so picky the aftermarket would open up to them. But even now many respectable tuners won't even touch them and the ones that do are all remote tuning which is not going to give you the best gains for the money.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #19
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker75 View Post

yeah its been hit or miss when it comes to parts. but that's the performance side of having a v6 to be honest. theres a lot of frugal buyers out there that wont spend the money. look at ford dropping the v6 for the turbo 4 & v8...both groups who will do a bit of tuning. some may get mad at that, but numbers don't lie...its the truth.

the last I heard from em when I called, is they were seeing if they could basically retrofit the v8 stuff to the v6, with a change in the tube sizing etc... most cost effective method.

theres a post on here, prob this one, and so many were like, "were not waiting anymore".

theres a market for it. but as you had the issue with the GM one, the same sentiments apply for this "intake to be" if it ever "becomes".

most want zero check engine lights, and that takes time and testing. most don't want to tune, especially on newer cars, which is understandable. so its kinda been at a stalemate.

sadly this hasn't been touched since JULY... and the sad part is not from the forums, but from Rotofab, which usually means they have set it on the shelf more than likely, if not in the trash.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #20
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
yeah its been hit or miss when it comes to parts. but that's the performance side of having a v6 to be honest. theres a lot of frugal buyers out there that wont spend the money. look at ford dropping the v6 for the turbo 4 & v8...both groups who will do a bit of tuning. some may get mad at that, but numbers don't lie...its the truth.

the last I heard from em when I called, is they were seeing if they could basically retrofit the v8 stuff to the v6, with a change in the tube sizing etc... most cost effective method.

theres a post on here, prob this one, and so many were like, "were not waiting anymore".

theres a market for it. but as you had the issue with the GM one, the same sentiments apply for this "intake to be" if it ever "becomes".

most want zero check engine lights, and that takes time and testing. most don't want to tune, especially on newer cars, which is understandable. so its kinda been at a stalemate.

sadly this hasn't been touched since JULY... and the sad part is not from the forums, but from Rotofab, which usually means they have set it on the shelf more than likely, if not in the trash.
Sadly, that's exactly the outcome I expected. Everything got sent to the round file, never to be discussed again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #21
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

I mean, there is only so many ways to put a filter on a stick. There is already quite a few options out there and they all do the same thing. We aren’t really losing much here.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #22
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I mean, there is only so many ways to put a filter on a stick. There is already quite a few options out there and they all do the same thing. We aren’t really losing much here.
while I agree with that, part of me disagrees...

hear me out, first.

its true theres only so many ways, but among the many ways, they offer gains at different rpm ranges usually. its like theres only so many ways to put a muffler on a car. we have big ones, small ones, ones with j pipes, ones with active valves, etc... all do the same thing, and most all give similar performance.

with that being said, 2 examples everyone here cant deny. honda civic, and ford mustang. parts out THEE A$$!!! right?

tunes and tuners out THEE A$$ as well. people love to say, mustangs/civics are a dime a dozen. but that's why... they are modded fairly easy. you can find parts, you can find legit tuners, because the aftermarket market has invested in it.

when the LFX came out in the 5th gen, diablosport passed up on it saying tuning only netted 3-5whp. the same shiz we get now, "its done so well from the factory, there's not much left".

THEN overkill came out getting 11-20whp out of both engines. now im not an expert, but diablosport is a far larger company than overkill ,right? so why couldn't they get the gains a smaller company achieved?

unless you are buying a 70-100K$ vehicle, its my belief (hasn't been proved wrong yet) that there's always meat left on the table and low hanging fruit on the tree. the question is, who is willing to put in work and r&d to extract it.

with limited options, although some may see It as the same thing, it limits opportunity in the long run. it also usually creates lag in other things coming to market.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 11-18-2018, 05:48 AM   #23
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
while I agree with that, part of me disagrees...

hear me out, first.

its true theres only so many ways, but among the many ways, they offer gains at different rpm ranges usually. its like theres only so many ways to put a muffler on a car. we have big ones, small ones, ones with j pipes, ones with active valves, etc... all do the same thing, and most all give similar performance.

with that being said, 2 examples everyone here cant deny. honda civic, and ford mustang. parts out THEE A$$!!! right?

tunes and tuners out THEE A$$ as well. people love to say, mustangs/civics are a dime a dozen. but that's why... they are modded fairly easy. you can find parts, you can find legit tuners, because the aftermarket market has invested in it.

when the LFX came out in the 5th gen, diablosport passed up on it saying tuning only netted 3-5whp. the same shiz we get now, "its done so well from the factory, there's not much left".

THEN overkill came out getting 11-20whp out of both engines. now im not an expert, but diablosport is a far larger company than overkill ,right? so why couldn't they get the gains a smaller company achieved?

unless you are buying a 70-100K$ vehicle, its my belief (hasn't been proved wrong yet) that there's always meat left on the table and low hanging fruit on the tree. the question is, who is willing to put in work and r&d to extract it.

with limited options, although some may see It as the same thing, it limits opportunity in the long run. it also usually creates lag in other things coming to market.
I think we have the large difference in claims because nobody is taking these cars to the track and actually testing the companies claims. Does overkill actually make claimed power? Nobody really knows because nobody does one part and tests it. You ask someone what an intake header and exhaust does on a Honda b16 and there and track times and dyno sheets out of the wazoo. So the Honda claims you know which are true or not. Nothing against overkill but is there tube actually making the claimed power? Nobody really knows.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #24
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
I think we have the large difference in claims because nobody is taking these cars to the track and actually testing the companies claims. Does overkill actually make claimed power? Nobody really knows because nobody does one part and tests it. You ask someone what an intake header and exhaust does on a Honda b16 and there and track times and dyno sheets out of the wazoo. So the Honda claims you know which are true or not. Nothing against overkill but is there tube actually making the claimed power? Nobody really knows.
remember, it took just over 1 full year from when the track time slip thread was created to when anyone posted any times... https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428940 not many interested in taking their cars out to tracks or dynos. not really a problem. just less of a sample field.

overkill has done plenty of dyno tests... most guys, included the boosted ones have posted dyno sheets.

theres been a handful of us, that have gotten dynos and/or posted track improvements over the past two years.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525799

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475431

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10264642

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500859

but the reality of it is, no matter what claims, dynos, and track gains you post, some people just aren't satisfied with others results.

- "oh you didn't use the dyno that I love and prefer"
-"oh, your track isn't at the same D.A. as my track"
-"oh, well, you dyno your car with the hood up" (as if hood closed is really gonna matter since the floor blower fan used doesn't even compare to the amount of air going across the front end of a car past 80-120mph)

there's always an excuse for the reason a cars tests or testing isn't up to par for someone. which is why I now have 73k on my car, and only 1 dyno sheet posted, and plenty of track slips. but that 73k is a lot of tanks of smiles per gallon!

I see where im gaining, or where I lose gainz, in the real world. but I enjoy the car as well. its been great so far!

there's too many keyboard Debbie downers these days, that have an excuse for why someone's test isn't as valid as theirs would be, but when you ask for their tests... they don't race, or don't do dynos. they just do shows and cars and coffee.

its like the show car guy who goes to the track and never races, but when he goes to shows, he's got a track car, so he doesn't enter the show. but he'll be sure to question everyone's times, trap speeds, and how it doesn't match up to the times & trap speeds of his "buddy's car" that has x y and z.

I grew up around guys that were basically like STFU, go out run it, and see what it does. then you'll know. if I'm constantly improving. I'm doing something right. no different that losing weight or gaining it. you don't need to count calories and weigh this food and that food or take up fad diets with different names through the years. if you eat too much, cut it in half. get out exercise more, recheck in a weeks time. not gaining weight, eat more.

some things aren't rocket science. WE ALL should know what things work on a car and what are snake oil. if you can point out things that on any engine that is simplicity is an air pump, that increases efficiency, then most of the stuff we are dealing/working with right now, are common basic mods. we know they work. they've worked on cars for the past 30-40 years, at least since TB's became more mainstream.

but you still have that select group of naysayers that sh*t the bed on everyone else.

tuning, its pretty intricate. the avg person isn't gonna run and adjust stuff like on a diablosport trinity. overkill, from the tests I have seen, 5th gen and 6th gen, have been accurate. they're out there. I added a few posts above I had saved on dynos that were in my own interest... most don't bother to search for em, so I had em saved for myself.

this past week, I rang up Janetty racing. Ted says he's tuned some 6th gen LGX's. so theres more results out there. not all is posted here.(Steve at RDP has said he's done a few as well) a lot of overkills stuff is on the Facebook group for 6th gens. we're just a limited group of all the cars getting mods. this forum, as great as it is, isn't the end all be all of mods, and results for these cars. at best, a handful.

so where you wrote:

Quote:
You ask someone what an intake header and exhaust does on a Honda b16 and there and track times and dyno sheets out of the wazoo. So the Honda claims you know which are true or not. Nothing against overkill but is there tube actually making the claimed power? Nobody really knows

its like the K&N filter.... LethalCamaro tested it.https://youtu.be/dbbNzzolR34 netted about 5 whp. just this past week, Engineering Explained tested filters...same results, about 5 whp. https://youtu.be/GS69owXpGdY

so why do we still have people on the forums saying it doesn't add any power? this is the problem with posting dyno results and track testing here. you can show results after result, but if some don't accept it, they'll keep the myth going that it doesn't make power. kinda how the myth that engines NEED backpressure to be efficient still exist. even after MagnaFlow, borla, flowmaster, have posted bulletins saying they DONT. (even the top race engines in the world still have 1-3psi of backpressure. its present in all engines, but the less the better. velocity is what ya need more of)

we have guys posting their mods and their results. you have cars that started out at 240-260whp, and now making over 310 whp. but people still question if things give gains?

this is like going to space and seeing a spinning ball of rock called earth, but still believing the world is flat. the excuse? well they haven't been to space and seen it spin.

that's why ford, and honda, keep progressing when it comes to the smaller engines. people see the results people post, and go from there. they take it at face value. This is basically the blueprint to the original HOTRODDING. look and see what the faster people are doing. copy it. DIY. having the mindset of being real with the limits and advantages and then saying "it is what it is" and being humble about it.

not question every little nit pick thing, even though results of gains have been posted from multiple people many times. why do we do that here? can we not be as humble as guys who don't have much, but mod with the mindset of we can make what we have better? that's something I question. and due to that, I still maintain that the v6 crowd, is probably the most frugal in the Camaro world. you'll see people spend 700$ for fiberglass body parts and another 500$ in paint, but will complain of a 400$ intake that comes with a reflash.(obviously not those with the 18's and 19's trying to get the GM intake, but in general)

simple test. ring up or email will. ask for some dyno sheets. find people with the tune that have dynos. ask for their sheets. Many don't post results anymore because something as simple as "Here are my results, this is what my car does" turns into a debate of why it didn't make this or should have done this much, and then questioning the dyno its done on... most people don't wanna deal with that. not to mention, most dynos posted have been so spread out across the US, theres no way to compare em...physically, location wise and logically. that's why I suggest to look at where people started and see where they've taken the car to.

now this is just my logic...you got Dustya, and Storm on here with supercharged LGX's that overkill has tuned. you'd think that with them over 400-450whp now, one running 11's, that Will's tuning is on point. even if you question it, in the least bit, he's got their engines tuned in with that much power.... c'mon. i'd like to think if NASA can build a shuttle that can go to space and back to earth, they'd be able to build a lego version of it without any hiccups.

just my thoughts on it. you can believe what ya need that suits your build and mods. so please don't take anything I post personally, these are just my thoughts on it. im on the realm that the info is out there. just gotta find some of it. much is and has been posted here. view some of the build threads in the members build forum, see where they started and where they are. ask questions. I started with a low 14 second car, 13.8 was what GM said it does, i'm down to 13.4 and pulling 1.1g at times on a track. I think im headed in the right direction. its hasn't been perfect. it hasn't always been easy. but im still progressing...until I find a new project.

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 11-18-2018 at 10:37 AM.