Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
Installing Black OEM Bowtie Emblems WITHOUT Removing ANY Bolts or the Bumper

This afternoon I installed my new OEM GM Black Bowtie Emblems on my new Camaro WITHOUT removing a single bolt or clip on the front bumper. I figured after researching online and only finding one video that showed that they had to remove all the bolts on the front of the bumper and then slide back the radiator shroud, that there had to be another way. I finally worked it out!

Step 1:
The tool... my weapon of choice was a Home Depot stirring stick. Best part, they are free!

Step 2:
Slide the stir stick into the hole where the hood release lever is.

Step 3:
Lean into the engine bay (this photo is how I saw it - it's upside down) but you can see the clips for the emblem in the darkness. Slide the stir stick into that opening for the hood release lever and place it against the chrome clip that you can see in the front. With one hand on the front of the emblem, pulling up slightly, press on the stir stick and that will push down the chrome clip holding the emblem in place.

Step 4:
Once you have popped out the first clip, do the same on the other side of the emblem, pressing down on the chrome clip and pulling up slightly on the front side of the emblem.

Step 5:
Pull the emblem off of the front face and clean up the area behind with some Quik Detailer and a soft cloth.

Step 6:
Clip in your new black bow tie with a firm push and stand back and admire your work.

Step 7:
Mask off your rear bow tie, for two reasons. 1, this will give you a guide to place the new black emblem once the gold one is removed, and 2, this will protect the area around the emblem when using a trim removal tool to pry up the old emblem. Warm up the old emblem with a hair dryer or heat gun to make the adhesive a little more pliable.

Step 8:
Use a trim tool to pry up the old emblem now that you have heated up all of the adhesive around the emblem.

Step 9:
Clean off any sticky residue from the original emblem, prepping the surface for the new emblem. Make sure it's smooth and clean, otherwise you'll have issues with your new emblem sticking properly.

Step 10:
Using the blue masked off area that you originally made in blue painters tape, line up your new black emblem and once you are happy with the position, stick it down nice and firmly.

Step 11:
Stand back and admire your new emblems and how much cleaner your Camaro looks now, without the gold on there!

Hopefully this guide is of use to you, especially those who are daunted about having to remove bolts and clips around your front bumper. This was a nice and easy (and free) way of installing my new black emblems and I wanted to share! Enjoy!
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
sav03cobra
SS Copbait R.I.

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Nice work with the paint stick, good work!
sav03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
sdavis2702

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Good post. I swapped mine out a few weeks ago. I literally just snapped the clips on the back of the front bowtie (by pulling it off) since I could tell the bracket was stronger than they were.

Don't be like me, kids. Be like CUPRA.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:22 PM   #4
CUPRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis2702 View Post
Ha! Thanks, I appreciate it!

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
Old 04-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
Herewego

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis2702 View Post
Good post. I swapped mine out a few weeks ago. I literally just snapped the clips on the back of the front bowtie (by pulling it off) since I could tell the bracket was stronger than they were.

What he just said. I too just pulled with some trim tools and broke off one of the clips. Never thought of a paint stick, I was trying to use a long screwdriver which obviously doesn't work. Nice job.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:45 AM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
your lucky you didnt do any damage using a ry tool. use fishing line and cut it all the way do not pull it off as the corners of the emblem may chip the paint.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:55 AM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
30 lb fishing BRAID Is the stuff to use… Cuts better than standard fishing line
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
CUPRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
your lucky you didnt do any damage using a ry tool. use fishing line and cut it all the way do not pull it off as the corners of the emblem may chip the paint.
I heated everything up before hand as shown in the picture. The the foam adhesive pad was soft like butter. Masked off the whole area, there were no problems at all with this method as I pried gently from both sides, not just one big pull as you’re suggesting. Slow and methodical.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
JCunningham

i said dont pull. you didnt but someone else reading it might. they should just use fishing line and heat to cut it off.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 07-28-2018, 12:43 AM   #10
Oastjc

Drives: 2SS
sweated my ass off and was still unable to remove it, now the OEM front bowtie has a shit ton of play and still wont come off -_- any tips guys? WD-40?
Oastjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:01 AM   #11
JCunningham

it may break the taps pulling the front off. just pull harder
Old 09-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
What he just said. I too just pulled with some trim tools and broke off one of the clips. Never thought of a paint stick, I was trying to use a long screwdriver which obviously doesn't work. Nice job.
HAHA, I did the same thing. I bought an extra long screw driver and tried for like 20 mins, finally with a sore back from leaning over and trying to hold my iphone flash light in the area, I said F it and used a flathead screw driver wrapped in a towel and just yanked the edge until the clip snapped and then repeated with the rest of them.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #13
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Tried the paint stick until I snapped it in half! Then 30 minutes later from my back hurting I just said Fark it and removed all the screws to move the cover out of the way and still broke one of the clips. Painted it with Plasti Dip and it still looks like crap to me so I will just order the GM emblems that are already painted.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote