Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #57
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmix300 View Post
No I trusted their engineering and research.

I've put about 500 miles on the motor since i built it. I'm guessing it's around 1000 wheel on 20psi with e85.

the motor has lt4 fueling and the car also has a mega-squirt controlling 8 supplementary injectors.

The engine shows no signs of any issues and sounds/acts perfectly fine. no rattles or vibrations so i'm guessing the balance of the assembly is close.

Your build is truly amazing
Thing with the weights of the aftermarket forged parts, I was warned not to trust the providers and weigh side-by-side to the stockers, in order to verify the weight differences and if out of acceptable tolerances - go and balance the Assy. with the aftermarket parts.

If the aftermarket providers would post the actual weight of their combo parts, it would help in trusting them.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #58
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
GPI's pistons weigh 584 grams. Here is the spec sheet on mine that I have for sale right now.
Attached Images

Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #59
Eldi Z

interesting. This is for complete Assembly (Rings and pins included)?
Does anyone know the weight of the Stock piston Assembly?

What about the rods' weight that GPI provides (Compstar i believe?)

BtW: Why are you selling them?
Old 05-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #60
Puddin

Not sure on rod weight as I did use those. You are correct they are Callies Compstars. I'm selling them because my car's oil pump gave out on me during some street tuning with Pray and my cylinder walls got chewed up so I had to go to a bigger bore piston after the walls got machined and cleaned up.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #61
Eldi Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Not sure on rod weight as I did use those. You are correct they are Callies Compstars. I'm selling them because my car's oil pump gave out on me during some street tuning with Pray and my cylinder walls got chewed up so I had to go to a bigger bore piston after the walls got machined and cleaned up.
Sorry about this. Did the pump suddenly give up for no reason? Not enough time to shut down once you registered no more oil pressure?
Hope you shall soon be up & running on the big bore
Old 05-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #62
Puddin

I was up there in rpm at the top of 4th. Never had any symptoms of it was going to fail it just decided to do it at a costly time. I lost all pressure in a matter seconds and as soon as the message telling me to turn the car off I did but the damage was already done. She's back now though fully forged from top to bottom along with new heads and a cam to go with the bolt ons I already had. It's like driving a totally different car now and I love it.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #63
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
I was up there in rpm at the top of 4th. Never had any symptoms of it was going to fail it just decided to do it at a costly time. I lost all pressure in a matter seconds and as soon as the message telling me to turn the car off I did but the damage was already done. She's back now though fully forged from top to bottom along with new heads and a cam to go with the bolt ons I already had. It's like driving a totally different car now and I love it.
Did you go back with the oem pump? When i had my motor apart, i considered upgrading the pump but could not find an aftermarket options
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #64
Puddin

There really are no aftermarket oil pumps for our cars from what I have seen. What me and my shop decided to do was machine and port a stocker to help with the flow and pressure.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #65
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
There really are no aftermarket oil pumps for our cars from what I have seen. What me and my shop decided to do was machine and port a stocker to help with the flow and pressure.
I believe you're correct. I couldn't find one either. If melling offered one, I would have gone with it on my build.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #66
Eldi Z

Quote:
So do you think it is a matter of the pump's quality (failure)? If so, then this might justify a warranty case. Oil pumps should be sturdy and a bullet proof component. I think I read somewhere that there was an oil pump TSB related to some 2016 VINs.
Anyway, good that this failure eventually brought about having a properly built engine
So which type of forged pistons and rods did you put in the rebuilt engine?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:19 AM   #67
Puddin

The oil pump TSB was for the pickup tube separating itself from the pan. I was all good as far as the tsb was concerned it just boiled down to me getting a bad pump from the factory. I wasn't even going to try for a warranty repair I was already full bolt ons so I didn't need to waste anybody's time even though I'm on good terms with my dealership. I still used the Callies rods from the GPI set but just went with bigger bored pistons from Diamond. If it matters any LME did all the motor work which they took longer than I expected but given their rep with these motors it should be pretty stout and reliable. All I got left to do now is figure out what kind of blower I want to put on as I'm torn between Procharger or Magnuson.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #68
Eldi Z

Quote:
The oil pump TSB was for the pickup tube separating itself from the pan. I was all good as far as the tsb was concerned it just boiled down to me getting a bad pump from the factory. I wasn't even going to try for a warranty repair I was already full bolt ons so I didn't need to waste anybody's time even though I'm on good terms with my dealership. I still used the Callies rods from the GPI set but just went with bigger bored pistons from Diamond. If it matters any LME did all the motor work which they took longer than I expected but given their rep with these motors it should be pretty stout and reliable. All I got left to do now is figure out what kind of blower I want to put on as I'm torn between Procharger or Magnuson.
LME is known indeed to be one of the leaders with LS and LT motor builds. I guess that they also balanced the Rot. Assy.? or to the very least made certain that the weights of the Diamond-Compstar combo are within tolerance spec of the OEM material that was replaced.

Question: Is LME's cost for such a job reasonable?

Regarding the blower: There are endless threads of PD Vs. Centri, but I believe that the best way for you to make an effective decision, is to actually drive cars with such equipment on them and feel the difference in person. Good luck
Old 05-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #69
Puddin

Yea they balanced everything and even put it on their break in engine dyno to monitor it and make sure everything was alright. As far as cost my final bill for LME it was 7274.11. That was for a complete longblock build and dyno time with me supplying the cam,heads,rods,afm delete etc. Basically my total was just for labor plus the new pistons I bought from them so yea they are pretty expensive. I'll attach my final bill to let you see how it all broke down.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #70
Eldi Z

Total I see $ 11.5K - Did they provide the block? That is expensive, but you can be certain that you really got one of the best money can buy, next to the level of I.E. Livernois, Katech, Golen, Redline, Vengeance and a few other smaller "boutique" builders (Thompson). I hope you enjoy it and I shall continue to follow your posts.
My long term plan is to have just short of 600 PD SCed' WHP and on the fence regarding the necessity to actually replace pistons and rods at such power levels. However, since I am a believer of long-term reliability, despite the relatively conservative power goal - I rather be safe then sorry.
Of course I shall include all of the LT4 fueling parts I am missing today: Injectors and HPFP (my LPFP is already the ZL1/Z06/CTS-V spec).