Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #29
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Seems like a LT1 Camaro might be a better deal for you. It’s a no frills/options SS!��
Old 09-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #30
Thill444

Drives: 2020 SS1LE Shadow Gray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I guess, I just don't value options the same way you guys do. A new NA V8 camaro is only worth about $30K to me regardless of whether it is stripped of options or a loaded 2SS with all the options checked. I came across several new C7s in the mid to upper $40K earlier this year when I was camaro shopping. Camaro might be a tad more practical and easier to get in and out of everyday, but now we're just splitting hairs. Not knocking on anyone's preferences, just personally find it ludicrous to pay what those options are priced at, only see real value on the 1LE package, everything other option is way overpriced.
You will not find a new V8 Camaro for $30K. You won't find a new Mustang V8 for $30K. Used? Maybe, for higher mileage. The cheapest new C7 I see available right now is $55K and it is a new 2017 which means it has been sitting on the dealer lot for a good 3+ years. No thanks.

You might find a new LT1 Camaro (no frills V8) with zero options for $32K or so depending on what incentives/rebates and what you qualify for, but I think $30K would be tough. Maybe a leftover model this winter once the snow starts falling.

An SS1LE or 2SS1LE is a bargain for what you get at low to high $40K's. Name me another car that has similar performance, and features for the money?
Thill444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #31
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thill444 View Post
You will not find a new V8 Camaro for $30K. You won't find a new Mustang V8 for $30K. Used? Maybe, for higher mileage. The cheapest new C7 I see available right now is $55K and it is a new 2017 which means it has been sitting on the dealer lot for a good 3+ years. No thanks.

You might find a new LT1 Camaro (no frills V8) with zero options for $32K or so depending on what incentives/rebates and what you qualify for, but I think $30K would be tough. Maybe a leftover model this winter once the snow starts falling.

An SS1LE or 2SS1LE is a bargain for what you get at low to high $40K's. Name me another car that has similar performance, and features for the money?
My new 2020 LT1 camaro was $29K plus tag, tax etc. I was $32K out the door. Granted, no options AND picked up at the end of March when the pandemic was affecting new car sales the most. No snow ever in my area, but many northerners come down here for
for new camaros as they are less marked up down here than up north.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #32
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
A new NA V8 camaro is only worth about $30K to me regardless of whether it is stripped of options or a loaded 2SS with all the options checked.
Lol, that's ridiculous. Can you even buy a Camry for $30k these days?

Seems like you're fine with buying used, this can work out really well if you find the right car and have a certain amount of luck. Or if you're not lucky you can get a car that's been modded, abused heavily and then returned to stock.

Anyways, not sure I'd actually take a base C7 Vette over my SLE, it's missing quite a bit that the SLE has and I definitely don't want that 7-sp manual.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
I

My new 2020 LT1 camaro was $29K plus tag, tax etc. I was $32K out the door. Granted, no options AND picked up at the end of March when the pandemic was affecting new car sales the most. No snow ever in my area, but many northerners come down here for
So, you admit that the price you got for a barebones V8 was directly impacted by very slugging sales yet you claim that what you paid for yours is the limit of what you would pay for something with much better track performance?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #34
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I'm with some of you, all I would ever pay for any 6th gen SS is about $30k in today's money. Simply not worth any more than that to me. Car prices across the board have gotten out of hand. People spending $30k or into the $40k's for a POS Honda commuter is beyond stupid. Now we are going to switch to EV and jack prices up even further? No thanks.
The "$30k SS" is the LT1, mostly. That's basically stripped, coupe, and no option to upgrade various areas should you want to down the road. So, while that might be all you're willing to pay, it will never happen unless you grab one used. As for the used market on these cars, I will personally not go that route because I want the M6. While the transmission is solid, there's too much risk to the clutch being oddly / prematurely worn and opening me up to big repair bills.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #35
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I'm with some of you, all I would ever pay for any 6th gen SS is about $30k in today's money. Simply not worth any more than that to me. Car prices across the board have gotten out of hand. People spending $30k or into the $40k's for a POS Honda commuter is beyond stupid. Now we are going to switch to EV and jack prices up even further? No thanks.
Says the guy with the most overpriced Camaro in history, that a $40k 1SS 1LE can now beat.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #36
Thill444

Quote:
I

March-May was ideal time to buy. Really good incentives and dealers were motivated. It's very different now. I looked across 5 states and could only find maybe 5 SS1LE's that had not been sold and several of those were in transit and dealers did not have them.

Just to give you an idea of how crazy things are my GT350 I sold went up $10K in value in 8 weeks.

If you were buying now and could get an LT1 for $29K I would say you stole it and the dealer is likely losing money unless you qualify for every incentive.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #37
Thill444

Hey you also say I don't want to pay more than $1 for a hamburger. That is all a hamburger is worth to me.

More power to you. I am sure you can find a cheap hamburger somewhere for $1. Me? I would rather spend more and get a hamburger I enjoy and won't give me food poisoning
Old 09-14-2020, 11:43 AM   #38
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
So, you admit that the price you got for a barebones V8 was directly impacted by very slugging sales yet you claim that what you paid for yours is the limit of what you would pay for something with much better track performance?
Yes, I wouldnt have paid more than $30K, I've learned a lot over the years in timing of new car purchase. I got $6K off msrp just by waiting it out, my car sat on the dealer lot for almost 10 months, no one drove it, I was it's first and only driver. I couldn't swing for the 1LE as much as I wanted it. All I knew is I needed a new v8 and $30K was my limit. In the end it worked out for me. I think the 1LE is a fantastic package and the only option I would consider a bargain. There is just no way for me to justify an extra $20K for a 2SS 1LE over my new v8 camaro.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #39
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
March-May was ideal time to buy. Really good incentives and dealers were motivated. It's very different now. I looked across 5 states and could only find maybe 5 SS1LE's that had not been sold and several of those were in transit and dealers did not have them.

Just to give you an idea of how crazy things are my GT350 I sold went up $10K in value in 8 weeks.

If you were buying now and could get an LT1 for $29K I would say you stole it and the dealer is likely losing money unless you qualify for every incentive.
Ideal if you COULD buy. Many dealerships were straight-up closed and inventory was scarce. This allowed many dealers to hold their pricing lines and NOT offer much in the way of discounts. If you were in the right area of the country and wanted one of the cars that was not in massively short supply, maybe.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #40
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Hey you also say I don't want to pay more than $1 for a hamburger. That is all a hamburger is worth to me.

More power to you. I am sure you can find a cheap hamburger somewhere for $1. Me? I would rather spend more and get a hamburger I enjoy and won't give me food poisoning
I make my own burgers for what its worth, with premium beef and toppings, There isn't a burger out there that tastes better for the price it costs me to make my own.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #41
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Yes, I wouldnt have paid more than $30K, I've learned a lot over the years in timing of new car purchase. I got $6K off msrp just by waiting it out, my car sat on the dealer lot for almost 10 months, no one drove it, I was it's first and only driver. I couldn't swing for the 1LE as much as I wanted it. All I knew is I needed a new v8 and $30K was my limit. In the end it worked out for me. I think the 1LE is a fantastic package and the only option I would consider a bargain. There is just no way for me to justify an extra $20K for a 2SS 1LE over my new v8 camaro.
My car was on the lot for 9 months. 7 miles on the odometer when I took delivery. I got about $4500 or so off of the sticker and didn't spend any time haggling because that was as far as anyone in my area was going to go. Period.

I've bought more cars (almost all of them were brand new) than most people will ever buy in their lifetimes, so I've learned a few things too.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #42
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
I make my own burgers for what its worth, with premium beef and toppings, There isn't a burger out there that tastes better for the price it costs me to make my own.
To be fair, it costs about $2 to make a decent burger at home. Your disclaimer of "for the price" effectively rules out every single pre-made burger one could buy.