Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Phastek Performance

Old 08-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
turbo2ltr

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Turbo2ltr's 2018 1SS 1LE Mods

I purchased the 2018 1SS 1LE from a seller in California in July 2020 and drove it back to Phoenix. It still had under 5k miles after driving 400 mile home.

Mod 1: Plasitdip the cluster bezels
On my trip home, I was being blinded by the dash. The sun was coming straight in the windshield and right into my eyes. That was not acceptable. I pulled them off, sprayed them with plastidipped and they came out great. No more being blinded.

Mod 2: Skip shift eliminator
I found the car telling me how to drive really annoying. As others have said, it's a pain to get in as it's in a super tight spot, but not impossible. Just bought a $12 one from amazon. Works great.

Mod 3: Radar and Dashcam install
There's definitely not a lot of real estate on the the Camaro windshield. I was very picky where I put these two items. The design of the dash cam I had (G1W-C) was not conducive to keeping it out of the middle of the windshield so I ended up getting a A119. The design made it ideal to keep it completely out of view. You can't see it at all from the drivers seat.

I'm still using my trusty V1 from like 1995. There really was only one ideal place for it, just right of the drivers visor at the very top of the window. I ended up buying new suction cups from V1 since mine were well used.

For wiring I really wanted the gen5diy harness, but they've been out of stock for some time. I ended up crimping Deutsch pins and inserting into the back of the connector. Maybe I'll replace it if they ever come back in stock.

Mod 4: Seat Fan Harness
Seeing as I live in Phoenix, when I saw that I could enable the built in seat fans with a harness, I had to have that.

I am doing a video for my YT channel on the install but it went smoothly and the harness works. The fans, not so much. (See https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580529)

Maybe one day I'll dive into that a little more. Some better fans + 3D printing...might be worth a shot..

Mod 5: RFID Access Control
Before I get into this one, I have to explain something. I'm a huge nerd and "techy" guy. I have several sub-dermal implants that contain passive RFID chips. I use these for access control around the house, the timeclock at work, as well as sharing contact data via NFC (you can scan my hand with your phone and that will share my business card with you).

Xray of installed chips (not mine, but the same..)

Since the car is pushbutton start, there is no need for a mechanical key but it still requires you to have a keyfob. Well, that wasn't good enough for me. I don't want to have to worry about carrying keys...I already have a key built into me that I take everywhere and I never lose (assuming I'm not involved in a tragic accident with a chainsaw)..

I developed and installed an access controller that will read my chip and if authorized, unlock the door and allow you to start the car. If it was an automatic, I suspect I could have gotten it to start too, but I guess for now I'll still have to waste all that energy pushing the button.

Here it is in action.

Mod 6: Rev Match auto-on
Original Thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580325

I found the fact that the rev match didn't remember the last setting pretty annoying. Yes it's not hard at all to press a button, but not easy to remember to do it. If you've ever dumped the clutch on a downshift expecting the car to rev match and it didn't, you know exactly what I mean. I am a glutton for consistency and epitomize laziness. Fortunately I have skills to bridge the gap.

I created a tiny module that connects to the BCM that simple "presses" the rev match paddle a few seconds after startup.

Also have a video on this install in the works.

Here it is in action:

Future:
Front splitter has some minor damage, I'll replace it.
Maybe an "auto track mode" module.
Catch can, maybe
That is probably it for a while. No plans for motor mods at the moment.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
You're a strange cat.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
turbo2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
You're a strange cat.
Guilty.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Mod 1: Plasitdip the cluster bezels

Your post motivated me to get off my butt and do this mod. I have driven this car for four years dealing with the glare. My bezels are drying on the final coat as I type. Thanks for the push. All your electronic mods are cool. I'm not ready to get chips injected into my hands just yet!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
cthompson07

Drives: 2016 hyper blue 2ss
Concerning your RFID implant, is it possible to do the same thing but using the NFC in a phone to lock / unlock / start?
Old 10-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #6
turbo2ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthompson07 View Post
Concerning your RFID implant, is it possible to do the same thing but using the NFC in a phone to lock / unlock / start?
Yes, definitely maybe. lol

It really depends on the phone. So most phones these days can read NFC tags, but can also emulate a tag and be scanned by a reader themselves. The issue is some phones put out the same ID every time you scan it, and others put out random IDs every time you scan it. If you have a phone that does the latter, then it won't work as you can't tell the reader/controller in the car what ID to authorize.

But if you have a phone with a fixed ID, you'd be able to make it work.

Or just become a cyborg!