Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Hurst Billet Plus Short Throw Shifter

I installed this last Saturday. It took maybe 6 hours from pulling the car into the garage to putting away the last tool (this time includes a test drive and a few exhaust modifications that I needed to do to my header connection pipes). It was done on jack stands in my garage. The little spring pins were the toughest part. I had been holding off on this one since the install seemed like a PITA, but it honestly wasn't that bad. Definitely easier than headers.

This might be my single favorite mod to date - IMO the car should have come from the factory with this thing. The shifts are incredibly precise and mechanical feeling. There is a noticeable increase in effort, but even though I daily drive the car, I feel like it's well worth the trade off. To do over again, I would have done this mod immediately after getting the car (like first weekend). Highly recommend.

I referenced the install guide from post 14 of this thread (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=hurst). He has color photos and factory torque recommendations.

Some observations from my end: the 2 allen bolts that hold the shift lever into the housing has been replaced with hex head bolts in my 2018 (better IMO). If you have already installed headers, you may need to drop the aluminum skid plate to allow the engine and transmission to drop far enough to complete the install. I certainly had to.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
I installed this last Saturday. It took maybe 6 hours from pulling the car into the garage to putting away the last tool (this time includes a test drive and a few exhaust modifications that I needed to do to my header connection pipes). It was done on jack stands in my garage. The little spring pins were the toughest part. I had been holding off on this one since the install seemed like a PITA, but it honestly wasn't that bad. Definitely easier than headers.

This might be my single favorite mod to date - IMO the car should have come from the factory with this thing. The shifts are incredibly precise and mechanical feeling. There is a noticeable increase in effort, but even though I daily drive the car, I feel like it's well worth the trade off. To do over again, I would have done this mod immediately after getting the car (like first weekend). Highly recommend.

I referenced the install guide from post 14 of this thread (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ighlight=hurst). He has color photos and factory torque recommendations.

Some observations from my end: the 2 allen bolts that hold the shift lever into the housing has been replaced with hex head bolts in my 2018 (better IMO). If you have already installed headers, you may need to drop the aluminum skid plate to allow the engine and transmission to drop far enough to complete the install. I certainly had to.
I also just finished up my install, since my transmission and motor were both out of the car i decided to purchase the short throw now so if i did later i wouldn't have to do all of the work again, i haven't driven the car yet but i'm hoping its a big difference from the 1LE shifter.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
geaux_tigerss

To add to this.

I had a factory hurst short throw in my fifth gen. If was great, but this new one is much better. It reminds me of the feel of the MGW shifters for the fifth gen camaros and c6 vettes.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
I've had mine for over a year and it's by far the best shifter I've had.
I got the pistol grip with HURST embroided onto it.
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:

So did you need to remove/loosen the motor mounts and tranny mounts?
How far does the motor and tranny need to drop?
I'm thinking of this mod, but I'm still exhausted from my header/exhaust install...
Old 12-31-2019, 06:12 AM   #6
geaux_tigerss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
So did you need to remove/loosen the motor mounts and tranny mounts?
How far does the motor and tranny need to drop?
I'm thinking of this mod, but I'm still exhausted from my header/exhaust install...
No need to loosen the motor mounts. The transmission is held up by a cross member (only 4-15mm bolts). After removing the driveshaft and exhaust, removal of the cross member allows the transmission and motor to roll back on the motor mounts. You only need to drop it around 2-1/4" to access the spring pins.

Those spring pins were a real trick though. 2 people makes it a lot easier. I had my dad use a feeler gauge to slide under the rubber grommet and engage the spring pins while I rotated them from underneath the car.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Can’t wait to get this in. Maybe this weekend.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:08 AM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
to make it shift with almost the same force as stock you can do the anti venom mod. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566492
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I guess I'm going to have to break down and do this mod. I thought about it when I installed my GForce shaft and axles a few months ago.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:

Good to hear you got it installed and like it. I've had mine for about a year and a half and still really like it. I got used to the increased shift effort and overall like the improved 'precision' with the new shifter. Hurst should really bring a car to Camaro Fest so people can try it out before they purchase it and see how much of an improvement it makes.

I had one question for you regarding the comment: "the 2 allen bolts that hold the shift lever into the housing has been replaced with hex head bolts in my 2018." Are you referring to these bolts in the picture below? The stock bolts had an external head design, whereas the Hurst supplied bolts were internal hex. Like I mentioned in my post, the internal hex bolts started to deform at the factory torque spec, so that's a step in the right direction if they changed it to the factory style external hex head bolts. I only see this being an issue for me if I ever needed to remove and reinstall those bolts for whatever reason. Did the external hex head bolts also have the beveled countersink feature or did they include a beveled washer? Otherwise I think they would have had to change the housing to remove the countersink bevel to accommodate the stock style bolt.
Attached Images

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #11
6spdhyperblue

Im really surprised how many of you guys including oldman talking up the hurst considering how good the base shifter is. Im looking forward to trying it
Old 01-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
there is also a reverse spring https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Revers...53.m1438.l2649
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 04-02-2020 at 11:21 PM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:22 PM   #13
6spdhyperblue

Really liking this shifter.

Edit: wish I did it sooner. It’s pretty sweet. I bought both sticks and running the oem knob right now but will change sometime in the spring to the ball.

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 01-12-2020 at 06:04 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:39 AM   #14
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Best mod ever
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote