Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #29
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
That was me. I went back and edited my earlier post rather than create a new one. To be clear it didn’t rattle. It’s a horizontal left right lighter wobble before you get to the stiffer left right. I am running the ball at its tallest setting so I’m running more leverage than if it was lower.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #30
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if you edit it doesnt notify anyone.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:29 PM   #31
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Thanks. The only issue I see is that it might be easier for the shifter to pop out of gear? I'm trying to think of downsides to this change. I also have the Hurst shifter.
the ebay washers are too thick. maybe 1 of the Dorman 65277 copper washers will work. i put 2 of the silver ebay washers on and the shifter was way too lose. i put one on and it is still too loose after driving. you cant find gears its so loose. im going to have to drop the exhaust and drive shaft to lower the trans to remove the detent.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 04-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #32
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
I performed the mod today and it’s well worth the $7 and 1 hour investment. I did it in my garage on quick lifts, but jack stands are fine. You have to unbolt the trans cross member and drop the back of the trans to get access, but it’s not a big deal.

I installed two crush washers and it’s still more effort than the stock shifter, but to me it’s just right. Ensure you apply thread sealant (not locker) to avoid seepage.
on mine it is too loose wit h1 of those washers. when you dropped the trans did you have to drop the exhaust and drive shaft? ill have to redo mine tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #33
6spdhyperblue

I’m gonna pull my single dorman washer out in the morning

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 04-04-2020 at 10:43 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #34
6spdhyperblue

Update: Well that sucked for such a little job. Got it done without dropping the driveshaft.

Unbolted and lowered exhaust at the collector. Lowered the trans cross member. The wrench combo that got it done: multi point 15/16 short socket and a breaker bar wrench with that pivot swivel end. Go in straightish get it on and then move it toward 90* to be able to turn it.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:54 AM   #35
JCunningham

i wouldnt bother doing this mod. even the dormen washer just makes a spot were there is no resistance in side to side movement. What needs to be replaced id the spring in the detent. i will look into that sometime. I do highly recommend the reverse spring replacment though.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:26 AM   #36
JCunningham

i guess 1 dorman washer is fine. not sure its worth the trouble but not worth removing it.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #37
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
The stock shifter in a 1LE is pretty good, but does get wonky sometimes going into third unless you do the proper palm push motion... Is the Hurst really that much better? And when someone said track, did you mean road or strip? Thx
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #38
ACZ28

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo-1LE View Post
The stock shifter in a 1LE is pretty good, but does get wonky sometimes going into third unless you do the proper palm push motion... Is the Hurst really that much better? And when someone said track, did you mean road or strip? Thx
I would say yes. The shorter throw does take a bit more effort to get into gear (normal driving) but it does feel very positive/precise. The centering is quite strong as well so you can be pretty confident with the 2-3 not becoming a 2-1. Only referring to straight line...I've never done any road course racing and I'm sure the factory shifter would be fine for most folks there as I don't believe your goal is to shift as fast as possible, even though you're doing a lot more shifting. I could be wrong about that but I'd think you wouldn't want unnecessary traction issues (1-2, 2-3 or 3-4) unless you're pointed pretty straight.
ACZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:10 PM   #39
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Thanks. 2-3 shift gets wonky after the car has run 20± minutes
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote