Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Anti venom mod M6 shifter detent.

anyone do it with the Hurst on a 6th gen or even a 5th.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Did it on my 4th gen along with changing to a better transmission fluid. Made a noticeable difference
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:32 AM   #3
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Ordered the crush washers and spring tonight and will install them next weekend. I’ll post the result when compete.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
JCunningham

reverse spring https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Revers...53.m1438.l2649
washers
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
sending my tr6060 to Tick for a level 1 rebuild
https://www.tickperformance.com/tick...010-camaro-ss/
I have a Hurst shifter. its slightly harder to shift but this mod sounds like it will make it like stock or better.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 04-02-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Where exactly does this washer go? I have the Hurst shifter and trying to picture where it might go.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
JCunningham, can you explain this mod? I'm not familiar with it. Btw: did you get your trans removed and shipped off to Tick?
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Where exactly does this washer go? I have the Hurst shifter and trying to picture where it might go.
The crush washers don’t have anything to do with the shifter itself. The shorter throw reduces leverage and therefore it takes more effort to overcome the force of the detent ball as you change gears. The crush washers space the detent ball away from the shaft reducing spring pressure that results in smoother action. The detent ball assembly is part of the transmission.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #8
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Here''s a link from a member on the Corvette forum, it's his website...seems it may not help with a stock shifter, but does improve a short shifter to feel like stock and still have short shifting without the notchiness.

Dixie, looking forward to see your results.

Most of the mods were done on the C5 T56 tranny...I read 6yrs of the thread..

Smooth
Old 12-09-2019, 02:15 AM   #9
JCunningham

thanks for explaining for me. just did a mandated double at work.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #10
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
An it can be done in the car correct?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
OVRKLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
An it can be done in the car correct?
Not sure if it can be done in the car, but you shouldn't have to remove the tranny.

From what I've read you need to reach up on the passenger side from under the car with the car on jack stands or ramps. I'm not sure how much room there is to access it on your back.
There may be more room on the Corvettes, which they make it seem like a very easy mod.
I'm sure we'll hear from others that will try this, I'll look at it either this weekend or the week of Christmas when I have time.
Some of the Corvette guys used 2 washers while others used one, more of a personal preference when shifting.
However, you get the best bang for the buck if you have a short shifter kit and not the OEM shifter from what I've read.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:07 AM   #12
JCunningham

ya its really just to fix short shifter stiffness. its in this pic circled in red. i think in the Camaro you would probably have to drop the tranny support.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
OVRKLL

Congrats JCunningham on the tranny removal!
Now off she goes eh?

Man that nut is way up there, don't think my arms will be able to go that high. Maybe my wife could help!
Old 12-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #14
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

I performed the mod today and it’s well worth the $7 and 1 hour investment. I did it in my garage on quick lifts, but jack stands are fine. You have to unbolt the trans cross member and drop the back of the trans to get access, but it’s not a big deal.

I installed two crush washers and it’s still more effort than the stock shifter, but to me it’s just right. Ensure you apply thread sealant (not locker) to avoid seepage.
Attached Images