Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-04-2016, 02:34 AM   #1
z28guy30

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
What was the deciding factor that made you want the 2016 Camaro?

I am interested in getting everyone's responses as to what was the deciding factor in you purchasing a 2016 Camaro.

I owned a 2011 Camaro 2SS at the time, but it all started off for me when I first laid on eyes on it during the revealing of the 2016 Camaro in Michigan. The moment that red SS rolled out onto the runway I fell in love with the styling! Shortly after I started doing some research and discovered this new Camaro runs low 12's bone stock! That was enough to intrigue me, so I went to a Chevrolet dealership to test drive one. I ended up test driving a Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS and was fortunate to get a salesman who encouraged me to see what it was made of on the highway. The moment I floored it...I was completely blown away by how much faster it felt than my 5th gen! After that test drive I knew I had to have one, so I didn't end up buying the hyper blue 2SS, but went with a Summit White 1SS which I preferred the color combo on.

Ultimately I wanted one ever since it was revealed.

Last edited by z28guy30; 04-04-2016 at 02:55 AM.
z28guy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:53 AM   #2
CAMAR0STEVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
I have worked for Chevy and owned a 4th gen. Also had a CTS v so was familiar with GM sports cars. What it really came down to was at the state fair I saw one and sat in it. My fiancé said "your lease is up you should get another sports car like this" it's been all down hill from there
CAMAR0STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:57 AM   #3
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
Been a camaro fan for years. Owned 3 f bodies. 5th gen didn't do it for me. Looked to piggish. I like the sports car leanings as opposed to the pony car, if that makes any sense.

The 6th gen is truly an engineering feat. A lot of people think it's parts bin car from the ATS / CTS production, but that couldn't be further from the truth. This is its own car, made with its own parts and it's a thoroughbred, hands down.

Plus I'm a design engineer for the car. What better testament to believing in your product than going out and buying one?!!
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:32 AM   #4
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
We, my wife and I, had just test driven a 2016 Miata (Looking for top down fun). I loved the car and told the wife I was going to buy it. She asked me if I had considered a Mustang because she wanted to have a back seat for our dog. We test drove the Mustang. Then I heard all the chatter about the Camaro being redesigned, having increased horsepower, and better handling. We waited for the dealers to get the 2016 Camaro and after the test drive (WOW) I placed the order.

So, Wife, Dog, Horsepower, Handling, Interior, Reviews.

Wait! Wait! Wait! Lovely Wife, Dog, Horsepower, Handling, Interior, Reviews.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:40 AM   #5
cwatson6

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS - Red Hot
I saw the first one at the Camaro Fest last year and fell in love with the changes. The car has not disappointed.
cwatson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:46 AM   #6
Toxicgoober

Drives: 2014 Maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idiocracy View Post
Been a camaro fan for years. Owned 3 f bodies. 5th gen didn't do it for me. Looked to piggish. I like the sports car leanings as opposed to the pony car, if that makes any sense.

The 6th gen is truly an engineering feat. A lot of people think it's parts bin car from the ATS / CTS production, but that couldn't be further from the truth. This is its own car, made with its own parts and it's a thoroughbred, hands down.

Plus I'm a design engineer for the car. What better testament to believing in your product than going out and buying one?!!

That's pretty cool! Any particular part you'd be willing to admit to doing? Very interesting having someone around that had a hand in it. I always wanted to be involved in the automotive/racing industry as an engineer but life took me down a much different path. Still very interested in it though.
Toxicgoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #7
G6CamJK

Drives: 16 2SS Convertible, 08 JKU
Never really a "Camaro guy". I have never owned a GM product. I have never owned a pony type car before. I always thought if I got one it would be a Mustang. Then the Challenger came out. Waited in vain for a drop top version of that. The past two years I've been tire kicking/dreaming about a touring convertible. I've looked at the Z4, 370Z, SLK-250, F-type, and G35. Even the new Fiat Spyder at 1/2 the price of the Camaro was in the mix. Nothing really excited me enough to pull the trigger on it. My Jeep was good enough.

The main thing that caught my eye about the 6th Gen Camaro was the hard tonnaeu convertible. That kind of 4 seat speedster look. The reputation of the LS & LT engines being solid units. Also the technology (HUD, MRC, connectivity) that GM puts in the cars.

In February I stopped by the local dealer to check out what they had on the lot. It was a 1LT RS coupe w/ A8. A Week later I was back ordering a 2SS 'vert. w/6m. Hope it goes well.

And yes, I'm keeping my Jeep.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:36 AM   #8
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
I was called by my dealer when they got the red hot 2ss in. Parked my fifth gen next to it, and I didn't love the fifth gen any longer.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #9
andrec10

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6SP/Suby Legacy 6
Had a 75 camaro that i redid. Had my 99 Vette and wanted a new c7, but could never get comfortable in one. Never even gave the 5th gen a look. The 6th gen changed all that.

Its Here! Finally came home on 3-31-16! Red Hot 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Silver Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, 56W Split Spoke Wheels, Body color Hood vents, Body color Splash Guards and winter protection package.

Ordered 1-28-16: 1100
2-11-2016 :2000
2-15-2016: 3000 TPW of 3/7...That went quick!
2-26-2016: 3400 Status TPW 3/7
3-5-2016 : 3800
3-8-2016 : 4300
3-11-2016 : 4B00
3-15-2016 : 4200
3-22-2016 : 4800
3-29-2016 : 6000!
andrec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Wheel Team 6

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Decision to buy a 2016 camaro

For me it was simple. The redesign, improvements, & overall feel of the car was the deciding factor. I sold my 06 GTO & center console fishing boat to be able to order the camaro just like I wanted it. Now just waiting the 3 or however many months for it to arrive. Talk about excitement.
Wheel Team 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
I had a 2010 Camaro and enjoyed it.
I bought the 2016 because of all the new technology that was not available in the Gen5.
#1..Looks !!!
#2..Heads-up Display
#3..Dual-mode Exhaust
#4..8 speed Auto
#5..Rear Park Assist, Cross Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone & Lane Change Alert.
#6..Navigation
#7..Heated and Ventilated Seats + Heated Steering wheel
#7..Keyless Access
#8..31 More H.P.

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idiocracy View Post

You guys did some good work on the new Camaro! Just curious which aspects of the car did you work on?
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28guy30 View Post
I am interested in getting everyone's responses as to what was the deciding factor in you purchasing a 2016 Camaro.

I owned a 2011 Camaro 2SS at the time, but it all started off for me when I first laid on eyes on it during the revealing of the 2016 Camaro in Michigan. The moment that red SS rolled out onto the runway I fell in love with the styling! Shortly after I started doing some research and discovered this new Camaro runs low 12's bone stock! That was enough to intrigue me, so I went to a Chevrolet dealership to test drive one. I ended up test driving a Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS and was fortunate to get a salesman who encouraged me to see what it was made of on the highway. The moment I floored it...I was completely blown away by how much faster it felt than my 5th gen! After that test drive I knew I had to have one, so I didn't end up buying the hyper blue 2SS, but went with a Summit White 1SS which I preferred the color combo on.

Ultimately I wanted one ever since it was revealed.
I was fortunate to have been at Belle Isle for the reveal last year. We had seen spy pictures, renderings, knew sort of what it would be...but I was nervous to see what it would look like; inside and out. I wanted to like it, but I was afraid I wouldn't.

Then they rolled out on stage and I was blown away by everything. Had to have one. Each and every time they've asked me to drive one for a media outing, something new about it wins me over again, and again.

Just like last generation, I starting planning an SS build...and then they announced the ZL1, so that's the plan for 2018.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #14
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
For me, I was perfectly happy with my 12 Grand Sport Corvette, but I wanted to trade my wife's G37s for something else. We ended up with a nice 15 2LT Camaro for her, which was amazing because until she found the 2LT that had heads-up-display and all the goodies, she refused to even look at Camaros because her friend had one and said it was hard to see out of.

Once she got the Camaro she fell in love with it, but in all honesty, as much as I liked the car too, I really hated the sounds the 3.6 liter engine made. I started reading and researching the new Gen6 and was captivated by all the write ups and raves about the car. Long story short, 6 weeks after buying the 2015 2LT, we traded it and the Vette for the new 2SS and couldn't be happier.

The Camaro is a different car than the Vette, and actually, seat-of-the-pants, the Vette felt faster to me, but the Vette sat in the garage like some precious gem, and the Camaro gets driven every day! My wife absolutely loves it and loves that she gets to drive it every day. I love that it's a car you can drive comfortably on the road with all the bells and whistles of a luxury car, yet can transform into a fire breathing monster with a squeeze of the right pedal!

The only thing I really miss about the Vette is the nasty gurgle/burgle with the exhaust open on deceleration! That was a great sound that the LT-1 just doesn't make.
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote