Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
DAnubs

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS
Lifter suggestions

I've been getting parts around for a cam swap for a few months now, as my budget allows I buy components here and there. I've already purchased the GM non active lifters, 16, a full set, for my DOD delete and cam install.

My question is should I go with something different?
DAnubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
taz1727

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
LS7 lifters are a popular choice and I run them myself. Unless you're planning on going above 7000 RPM which would require a big cam and proper airflow, you wont need anything else.
K&N Intake/ Pray Ported TB/ GPI Rod-Mod Intake Manifold/ GPI Ported Heads/ GPI SS3 Cam/ TSP 1-7/8" LTH to NPP/ Z/28 Diff/ Hendrix Offset Bushings/ BMR Delrin Cradle Bushings/ Pedders 27/32mm Sway Bars/ 1LE Shocks & Struts/ BMR 1.25 Springs/ Mishimoto Catch Can
taz1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
DAnubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz1727 View Post
LS7 lifters are a popular choice and I run them myself. Unless you're planning on going above 7000 RPM which would require a big cam and proper airflow, you wont need anything else.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

LS7, and the L99/LS3 non active lifters are the same?

GM part number 12648846 Is applicable in both engines as the non active lifters.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Risingson05

Drives: 2015 zl1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAnubs View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong.

LS7, and the L99/LS3 non active lifters are the same?

GM part number 12648846 Is applicable in both engines as the non active lifters.

Yes , from my understanding they’ve discontinued the ls2 lifters with ls7 being the replacement lifter . I went with Johnson 2110 R. From what I’ve read tho most shoot for like .80-.100 pre load and ls7 lifters are .050 taller than stock lifters so your pushrods will be shorter if on stock head gaskett , and non milled heads . Keep that in mind when they try and give you 7.4 push rods , their too short . I suggest picking up a pushrod length checker . Well let me rephrase . Stock cam with ls7 lifter requires shorter pushrods . That length could change with your aftermarket cam as most have a smaller base circle than stock but depends on what cam you go with . A lot of variables , so a pushrod length checker is a must .

I’m currently in the middle of measuring all cylinders int/exh soon when I get some time . As per Johnson’s request , thing is I doubt I have that much of a variance but will measure it anyway

Last edited by Risingson05; 12-04-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Risingson05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
DAnubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
Yes , from my understanding they’ve discontinued the ls2 lifters with ls7 being the replacement lifter . I went with Johnson 2110 R. From what I’ve read tho most shoot for like .100 preload on the lifters , so your pushrods will be longer than 7.4 if on stock head gaskett , and non milled heads . Keep that in mind when they try and give you 7.4 push rods , their too short . I suggest picking up a pushrod length checker .
I'm not going huge cam. My cash flow will not allow for a big build or the up keep on a big build. I'm looking at either the GPI SS1, or GPI SS2, deleting DOD but keeping VVT. That being said, both allow for stock pushrod length to my knowledge, of course I will be sure to confirm before I begin the cam swap.

Just wondering what people do for longevity. I've procured all GM gaskets, lifters, lifter trays. I've pulled a factory valve lifter manifold delete plate form a unsalvageable donor engine. I've got GM replacement head bolts, but will be looking into other options as well, but I don't have much apprehensiveness about the quality of the GM gaskets and bolts, unless that is if someone here knows of some factory flaw that I should maybe look into something else.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Risingson05

Quote:
I'm not going huge cam. My cash flow will not allow for a big build or the up keep on a big build. I'm looking at either the GPI SS1, or GPI SS2, deleting DOD but keeping VVT. That being said, both allow for stock pushrod length to my knowledge, of course I will be sure to confirm before I begin the cam swap.

Just wondering what people do for longevity. I've procured all GM gaskets, lifters, lifter trays. I've pulled a factory valve lifter manifold delete plate form a unsalvageable donor engine. I've got GM replacement head bolts, but will be looking into other options as well, but I don't have much apprehensiveness about the quality of the GM gaskets and bolts, unless that is if someone here knows of some factory flaw that I should maybe look into something else.

Oh . There’s nothing wrong with oem when it comes to things like that imho. Have you bought a timing chain dampener block ? That plastic tensioner in there is cheap and know to fail . I know mine was broke when I changed my cam
Old 12-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
Risingson05

Trunnion bearings in rocker arms ? Go with smith or Che . Learnt that the hard way lol
Old 12-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
taz1727

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

The guys at GPI are great man, give them a ring if you havent already. I would say you're just missing springs and a Trunion upgrade. Not sure if L99s need a new oil pump with cam swap I know its different from LS3 I upgraded to a high volume melling unit. Good on you not to go above your needs, people tend to forget about maintenance when we get caught up in modding... I know I did. No regrets on this side though.
K&N Intake/ Pray Ported TB/ GPI Rod-Mod Intake Manifold/ GPI Ported Heads/ GPI SS3 Cam/ TSP 1-7/8" LTH to NPP/ Z/28 Diff/ Hendrix Offset Bushings/ BMR Delrin Cradle Bushings/ Pedders 27/32mm Sway Bars/ 1LE Shocks & Struts/ BMR 1.25 Springs/ Mishimoto Catch Can
taz1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Ls3 and ls7 lifters are the same. No difference between them. There is no preload difference between an ls3 and ls7 lifter, as they are identical; even in the box of 16.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
If you are staying under 7000rpm your good with those lifters.
Like others said. Do your trunions while you got the heads off. I used the CHE Precision kit. IMHO it's the best.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #11
DAnubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingson05 View Post
Oh . There’s nothing wrong with oem when it comes to things like that imho. Have you bought a timing chain dampener block ? That plastic tensioner in there is cheap and know to fail . I know mine was broke when I changed my cam
I have not, but I was planning on getting a new timing chain and that tensioner for good measure. Are the trunnion bearing notoriously trash? I'll be honest, I would for a GM dealer, thus I get massive discounts on GM parts, I just want to be reliable at the end of the day, and rocker arms don't seem to be a huge seller. Although we also don't see a lot of performance cars through the dealership either.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
DAnubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
If you are staying under 7000rpm your good with those lifters.
Like others said. Do your trunions while you got the heads off. I used the CHE Precision kit. IMHO it's the best.
I appreciate the heads up and I will be looking into a trunnion upgrade.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #13
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
The GM needle bearing trunions have caused havoc on many a car. They are not even ok for stock engines. Get the dogbone LS2 chain tensioner too.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #14
DAnubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz1727 View Post
The guys at GPI are great man, give them a ring if you havent already. I would say you're just missing springs and a Trunion upgrade. Not sure if L99s need a new oil pump with cam swap I know its different from LS3 I upgraded to a high volume melling unit. Good on you not to go above your needs, people tend to forget about maintenance when we get caught up in modding... I know I did. No regrets on this side though.
I've been in contact lightly with them. I won't be attempting this upgrade until after the holidays, so I will get more attentive to them close to the times I will be purchasing a cam. I'm not sure about the oil pump. To be honest you're the first thats brought that to my attention. I will look more into this and I hope that maybe someone in this forum can maybe give into some insight. As for the living within my budget, I find that we all figure it out the hard way. I learned mine the really hard way with my LT1 car. Not only was it expensive, but it was always a large undertaking to do almost anything. Really enjoying the ease of use in my 5th gen now.